Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AS153 vs. JSM10
RamonaGuy
#1 Posted : 11/9/2016 11:18:11 PM

Groups: Member
I am looking at the AS153 and the JSM10, but do not have access to one to try out. Is there any real difference in the sound or playability between these two?
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 11/10/2016 8:25:49 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
No real big difference in playability...

They are made in the same factory and are very similar with only a few differences:
  • Placement of the output jack
  • Cosmetic differences(headstock shape, pickup rings, pickguard, toggle switch cap, knobs)
  • The JSM10 body is listed as being 1" longer.

Otherwise they are the same guitar!

Hope this helps,
-Bill
RamonaGuy
#5 Posted : 11/10/2016 9:29:22 PM

Thank you. That is what I suspected. I did read somewhere that the neck is slightly different.
Dick Foster
#3 Posted : 11/12/2016 9:14:51 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bill@Ibanez Go to Quoted Post
No real big difference in playability...

They are made in the same factory and are very similar with only a few differences:
  • Placement of the output jack
  • Cosmetic differences(headstock shape, pickup rings, pickguard, toggle switch cap, knobs)
  • The JSM10 body is listed as being 1" longer.

Otherwise they are the same guitar!

Hope this helps,
-Bill
While both are nice looking guitars, I think I like the AS153 better. It's both the head and pickguard I think. Maybe overall finish too because there is less black.
gnappi
#4 Posted : 1/4/2017 12:59:07 AM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: noodle Foster Go to Quoted Post

While both are nice looking guitars, I think I like the AS153 better. It's both the head and pickguard I think. Maybe overall finish too because there is less black.

Agreed, I have a natural 153 that is a work of art and I wouldn't give it up for a JSM10.
jumbomumbo
#6 Posted : 2/8/2017 4:02:50 AM

I just received my Jet Blueburst AS153.Great guitar but the worst bridge I have ever dealt with! Why Ibanez doesn't spec the Gotoh bridge on a 1K Artstar is disappointing. I should have ordered the Gotoh bridge beforehand because the stock one is not intonating properly with my choice of strings! When I try to adjust the saddles there are tight spots then slack spots which through everything off!!!Plus I hear buzzing due to the slack screws. So it will have to sit in it's case until next week when the bridge gets here along with the Gotoh SG381 tuning machines coming tomorrow.
hannu
#7 Posted : 2/27/2017 5:37:46 PM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jumbomumbo Go to Quoted Post
I just received my Jet Blueburst AS153.Great guitar but the worst bridge I have ever dealt with! Why Ibanez doesn't spec the Gotoh bridge on a 1K Artstar is disappointing. I should have ordered the Gotoh bridge beforehand because the stock one is not intonating properly with my choice of strings! When I try to adjust the saddles there are tight spots then slack spots which through everything off!!!Plus I hear buzzing due to the slack screws. So it will have to sit in it's case until next week when the bridge gets here along with the Gotoh SG381 tuning machines coming tomorrow.

I wonder if other AS/AM players have had similar problems? Was the problem just the bridge or the bridge tailpiece combination? What exactly is wrong with the bridge? By now you have obviously changed the bridge, is there a big difference? Does the guitar sound better?
H
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325 | 2013 Ibanez AKJ95
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
2013 Fender Jazz Bass
Dick Foster
#8 Posted : 2/27/2017 6:34:29 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hannu Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jumbomumbo Go to Quoted Post

I wonder if other AS/AM players have had similar problems? Was the problem just the bridge or the bridge tailpiece combination? What exactly is wrong with the bridge? By now you have obviously changed the bridge, is there a big difference? Does the guitar sound better?
H

Ibanez basically uses cheap hardware in order to keep cost of production low. However the basic build of the guitar is good so simply replacing the cheap hardware with good hardware is something that most users can do on their own. And it doesn't require spending big bucks. I know swapping out the bridge on my guitar made a world of difference while it also eliminated the annoying rattle and buzz. It even made the guitar more comfortable to play and it only cost me something like 30 bucks and an hours worth of time to accomplish.
gnappi
#9 Posted : 4/17/2017 8:49:50 PM

Funny, it's odd that I have more than a few Ibanez gits and have never had a hardware problem of any kind, and all of them have the stock pups.

The only thing I ever did to any of them was to replace the tuner buttons for Grover Imperial style because little buttons on any git aggravate my arthritis and tendon issues in my left hand.

If I had a bridge or other problem, I'd get Ibanez to replace it.