Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

THread ansd pics on current all older Ibanez pups?
gnappi
#1 Posted : 2/9/2017 1:45:15 AM

Groups: Member
I have seen a bunch of pups online taken from this model and that model, and they "claim" to be original.

Is there a visual database of pups from the 70's onward?

Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 2/9/2017 1:48:04 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 402 time(s) in 393 post(s)
Unfortunately, there is no visual(or any for that matter) reference regarding Ibanez pickups over the years. The company has changed spec, factory, etc., somewhat often and has never kept a good database of changes or markings.

Some pickups actually have print on the top of the pickup cover/bobbin like IBZUSA, V7, INF1, etc. which make it easier to tell if they are original. However, if the pickups are unmarked, it will be near impossible to be 100% sure if they're original.

Most of the stock, factory pickups(especially ones without any markings) are a little more 'basic' and will probably be improved by replacing them with something aftermarket. Especially on some mid to low end models, I've seen the value go up if they have aftermarket pickups installed.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
gnappi
#3 Posted : 2/10/2017 5:41:35 AM

Originally Posted by: Bill@Ibanez Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, there is no visual(or any for that matter) reference regarding Ibanez pickups over the years. The company has changed spec, factory, etc., somewhat often and has never kept a good database of changes or markings.

Some pickups actually have print on the top of the pickup cover/bobbin like IBZUSA, V7, INF1, etc. which make it easier to tell if they are original. However, if the pickups are unmarked, it will be near impossible to be 100% sure if they're original.

Most of the stock, factory pickups(especially ones without any markings) are a little more 'basic' and will probably be improved by replacing them with something aftermarket. Especially on some mid to low end models, I've seen the value go up if they have aftermarket pickups installed.

Hope this helps,
-Bill

Thanks Bill for the speedy reply. My main reasons for asking is that there are many vintage Ibanez guitar models being sold, AND many "vintage" Ibanez pups being sold on auction sites and Craig's list.

What's troubling is knowing whether or not a vintage guitar is correct, meaning you pay extra for correct but need to verify the pups are original. I have yet to see a vintage Ibanez guitar for sale saying that the pups were replaced. If that's so, how are there so many "vintage" pups for sale? Get my meaning?

On the other side of the coin there's the issue of finding "vintage" pups for sale and not getting scammed by getting $10 knockoffs.

Gibson for example "almost always" used shielded wiring and clones did not, and many pup models had etchings in the bases or marks on bobbins to ID them.

I had hoped that Ibanez saw the necessity of building a database to help collectors and casual owners stay in the know.

Oh well.
renton481
#4 Posted : 2/10/2017 8:04:46 PM

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Too bad there isn't a photo version of Megatron's pickup thread on vintage Ibby pickups... Would be quite helpful in cases like yours.
gnappi
#5 Posted : 4/26/2017 4:30:49 PM

Originally Posted by: renton481 Go to Quoted Post
Too bad there isn't a photo version of Megatron's pickup thread on vintage Ibby pickups... Would be quite helpful in cases like yours.

That should be easy to fix. All of us that have Ibanez pups can send pics to a thread here with what they "think' they are and they can be verified (or vilified as it happens) and take it from there.

I'll start. This one supposedly came from an Ibanez (Maybe a Roadstar) The wires have a black insulator and the two conductors are green and black and the DCR is 7.7k. There are three screw mounting holes on one side, and one screw hole on the other side. The solder is intact and has never been opened.