Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AWD models
gnappi
#1 Posted : 4/19/2017 6:09:00 AM

Groups: Member
Last year I bought an AWD82LTD, the first of its kind I had seen. Later on I discovered that Ibanez made a 102 and other 82 / 83 models, but there are VERY few of these out in the wild.

I don't get it.

The tone on my neck pup is incredibly mellow, and while I do not use a bridge pup, the blend of the two pups together is also very smooth. ACH neck pup? I have other fully hollow Ibanez models with ACH pickups but not a one of the neck pups sound this good. Could it have been replaced? I don't think so, it has the brass base like all my other ACH do.

Anyway...

The neck play ability is also outstanding, as is the comfort of the lightweight body and strat like cutaways. It stays impeccably in tune, no doubt due to the straighter string geometry of the "snake head" tuner arrangement.

It's one MAJOR failing for me is my right hand play position. I use a pick guard to anchor my right hand, and this one has none. Add to that if I rest my hand on the bridge, the volume knob gets in the way of my hand. That said I'm sure other players did not have the same issue with their right hand position and other things must have led to its being discontinued.

So, where are they all? Were there so few of these made and the reason none are out for sale?
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/19/2017 12:44:20 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
These are a little hard to find in the used market. Some info can be found on these 3 catalog pages:
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=270&now=17
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=275&now=30
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=274&now=21

I think this is one of those cases where there just aren't that many in existence. It's not like only 50 were made or something, I just think that for every 1 you might see for sale online, there are a bunch that are in people's possessions who aren't selling them.

Ibanez changes their lineup very frequently and an unfortunate byproduct of this is many decent models get a start, but soon get discontinued to make way for new models. It usually has nothing to do with a specific issue causing them to be unavailable, more so that they've "run their course" and get replaced by something newer.

Another example of this is the ASR70. This was released, sold, and discontinued fairly quickly. Then, about 6 months after we stopped making them, a lot of people noticed it and all of a sudden wanted one! It seems the demand/recognition didn't hit that hard when we were still making them, so they didn't last very long.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
Dick Foster
#3 Posted : 4/25/2017 3:43:00 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Bill@Ibanez;521317 wrote:
These are a little hard to find in the used market. Some info can be found on these 3 catalog pages:
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=270&now=17
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=275&now=30
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=274&now=21

I think this is one of those cases where there just aren't that many in existence. It's not like only 50 were made or something, I just think that for every 1 you might see for sale online, there are a bunch that are in people's possessions who aren't selling them.

Ibanez changes their lineup very frequently and an unfortunate byproduct of this is many decent models get a start, but soon get discontinued to make way for new models. It usually has nothing to do with a specific issue causing them to be unavailable, more so that they've "run their course" and get replaced by something newer.

Another example of this is the ASR70. This was released, sold, and discontinued fairly quickly. Then, about 6 months after we stopped making them, a lot of people noticed it and all of a sudden wanted one! It seems the demand/recognition didn't hit that hard when we were still making them, so they didn't last very long.

Hope this helps!
-Bill

Any idea why Ibanez does this, Bill? It doesn't seem to make much sense and if Fender and Gibson did that they probably wouldn't be around today. I'd beat that 90% of their sales is on their classic models. Where would Fender be without their Strad or Gibson their ES335s and other classic models. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 4/25/2017 5:34:12 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Not sure why they do it, but I'd guess that they are just testing the waters, so to speak. Along with your analogy to Fender or Gibson, where would Ibanez be if we discontinued the RG, S, or SR bass guitars? That is really our bread and butter which we tweak, but never really discontinue.

The AWD and the ASR are both different than our normal lineup, and probably didn't last that long as there wasn't much "hype" about them. I believe that if any of these discontinued models continually sold well, they probably would have expanded the lineup, or kept them going for as long as it made sense for them. At least for the ASR, I do think that the amount of time in the market was a little short to really give it a chance. It may have done better if it was available longer and people caught on to it. :(
Dick Foster
#6 Posted : 4/27/2017 7:14:21 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Bill@Ibanez;521333 wrote:
Not sure why they do it, but I'd guess that they are just testing the waters, so to speak. Along with your analogy to Fender or Gibson, where would Ibanez be if we discontinued the RG, S, or SR bass guitars? That is really our bread and butter which we tweak, but never really discontinue.

The AWD and the ASR are both different than our normal lineup, and probably didn't last that long as there wasn't much "hype" about them. I believe that if any of these discontinued models continually sold well, they probably would have expanded the lineup, or kept them going for as long as it made sense for them. At least for the ASR, I do think that the amount of time in the market was a little short to really give it a chance. It may have done better if it was available longer and people caught on to it. :(

Yeah they need to realize that it takes anything a while to penetrate any market and get some traction. The world is never gonna beat a path to anyone's door overnight.
1 user thanked Dick Foster for this useful post.
gnappi on 5/2/2017(UTC)
hannu
#5 Posted : 4/29/2017 2:13:43 PM

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Bill@Ibanez;521333 wrote:

Yes, and very different, the AWD of the past was a different (than AS) shape semihollow, the ASR appears to be a full hollow. I saw an ASR in the music shop a couple of years ago and played it - great guitar, the P90 style pickups sounded great. The problem to me with it was the looks, the yellow-black-almost-sunburst. I could not take something like that home.
Would it not make more sense to come up with a P90 version of AS (may AS93 violin burst)? It would sound good, look good and would only need the pickup holes modified from the existing model....
Hannu
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325 | 2013 Ibanez AKJ95
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
2013 Fender Jazz Bass