Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

How do I remove the tone know to clean a dirty pot?
Oz
#1 Posted : 4/17/2017 4:53:19 AM
Oz

Groups: Member
I know that this can't be too complicated, but I don't want to screw it up. Has anyone here done it?
Guitarist for The Blue Links
Rickrew
#2 Posted : 4/17/2017 4:36:32 PM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've seen videos of people sliding the edge of a dish towel or handkerchief under the knob and just lifting it off once they get the cloth all around the underside of the knob. I can often lift them off with just my fingers.

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Dick Foster
#3 Posted : 4/17/2017 7:13:03 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Oz;521304 wrote:
I know that this can't be too complicated, but I don't want to screw it up. Has anyone here done it?

If you don't see a set screw it just pulls off and is held on by friction.

Sometimes if they're really tight you can run a handkerchief or small piece of cloth around and under the knob to get a better grip and pull them off. If you use something to pry it up, be sure to protect the finish of the guitar so you don't mar it.
Oz
#4 Posted : 4/20/2017 2:31:00 AM
Oz

noodle Foster;521308 wrote:
Oz;521304 wrote:

Friction it was (I have an AM73b.) It was easy enough, and all I had to do was squirt a tiny amount of contact cleaner right in the seam where the knob peeps out of the guitar, and the problem was solved.
Guitarist for The Blue Links
Dick Foster
#5 Posted : 4/25/2017 3:47:44 PM
Dick Foster

Oz;521324 wrote:
noodle Foster;521308 wrote:
Oz;521304 wrote:

Friction it was (I have an AM73b.) It was easy enough, and all I had to do was squirt a tiny amount of contact cleaner right in the seam where the knob peeps out of the guitar, and the problem was solved.

Some squirt contact cleaner down in the clearance where the shaft comes out of the pot between the bushing and the shaft. That way it's gets down to the wiper but you have to work the pot back and forth to get it worked down in there well. Sometimes a bit of heat shrink shrunk down over the bushing helps get the spray where it needs to go and not all over the guitar.
Tracy Dae
#6 Posted : 4/29/2017 8:54:24 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 105 post(s)
You can also used clear tubing like what is available at Home Depot, Lowes etc that fits tightly around the threaded part of the pot. Then use an orange stick to hold downward pressure on the shaft as you spray the cleaner in there. This helps the cleaning solution get past the shaft and onto the carbon element where it needs to be. Remember to hold the guitar face down as you work the pot back and forth to take advantage of gravity to help spread the cleaner onto the carbon element.
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Dick Foster
#7 Posted : 5/2/2017 4:31:29 PM
Dick Foster

Tracy Dae;521351 wrote:
You can also used clear tubing like what is available at Home Depot, Lowes etc that fits tightly around the threaded part of the pot. Then use an orange stick to hold downward pressure on the shaft as you spray the cleaner in there. This helps the cleaning solution get past the shaft and onto the carbon element where it needs to be. Remember to hold the guitar face down as you work the pot back and forth to take advantage of gravity to help spread the cleaner onto the carbon element.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Potentiometer