Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Phil Collen and his IBANEZ Destroyer 2017
gener8tr
#1 Posted : 6/13/2017 7:58:36 PM

Groups: Member
I'm fairly certain this is not his original 1980 movie-star-guitar (unless it's gone-through some major pickup reconstruction), but at least it's an Ibanez and not a Jackson.

Photo taken Saturday night in Portland, Oregon. Great show!

Tracy Dae
#2 Posted : 6/16/2017 1:47:23 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 111 post(s)
He was the reason I bought a Destroyer back in the day. A red one with one covered humbucker and the other uncovered. I loved how the guitar looked and it sounded amazing - but I could not get comfortable with it. LOL
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
peterdryan
#3 Posted : 6/16/2017 9:35:32 PM
peterdryan

Man
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
IIRC, I think PC had about 10 DT555s back in the 80s, each one slightly different.

No clue how many have survived to this day.

Nice to see him still playing one.
gener8tr
#4 Posted : 6/16/2017 11:49:25 PM

He brought it out for FOOLIN'. First time I've seen his play an actual Ibanez Destroyer in decades, now, and I've seen DL countless times since they've started touring pretty much every summer beginning in 2003(ish), and hundreds of times dating back to 1983. He normally (last few years, anyway) brings out his Jackson Xstroyer for the Pyromania tracks.

Looking closer at the above photo (and others I took last Saturday evening), the one he's using now appears to have a recessed Floyd and only twim humbuckers (nothing in the middle). Certainly not the same guitar used in the Pyromania videos, but could very easily be one of the variations from his stable dating back to the early 80's.

Seeing him bring out an Ibanez was easily the highlight of the evening for me! I'm guessing 99% of the crowd had no idea, nor could they have cared less... I immediately yelled out "There's his Destroyer!"