Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

RG550/Floyd Rose
DEmswiler
#1 Posted : 7/1/2017 8:23:19 PM

Groups: Member
I got new pivot posts for the Floyd Rose on my 1987 RG550. I noticed on the bottom of the post, there is a small threaded piece that goes up inside the post and extends out the bottom when turned. What is the purpose of this piece? One of the posts on the guitar now is broken and needs to be replaced, but I don't want to out new ones on without knowing exactly what this small extension is.

Thank you for your help.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 7/3/2017 6:29:52 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 408 time(s) in 398 post(s)
Megatron's floating trem guide on this forum does a great job of pinpointing all the aspects of tremolos, including these studs. If you have a little time to kill, I'd definitely recommend reading it at some point.

The pieces you are referring to are meant to lock down the stud. This will basically make contact with the bottom of the anchor to help improve sustain and to keep the bolts in place:

Hope this helps!
-Bill
DEmswiler
#3 Posted : 7/3/2017 10:14:44 PM

Groups: Member
Perfect, thank you so much. I'll definitely give that guide a read too.

I was able to change my own strings recently, which was a big step for me as a beginner. I'd like to know as much as I can about the guitar and how to fix it, within reason. I've found that now that I own what I feel is a really nice guitar, it kills me to have it sitting in a shop waiting to be worked on. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing it myself was a big boost in my confidence. Thanks again.