Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Custom Tremolo bridge, yes or no?
ZxZueSxS
#1 Posted : 7/10/2017 12:27:18 AM

Groups: Member
I have a Gio GRG121DX and was wondering if anyone had tried to fit a Floyd rose tremolo system into this guitar. The guitar stock has a fixed bridge with no tremolo bar. I was looking at buying the Floyd rose special floating bridge with the locking nut. I was just wondering how much modification this would require or if it's even reasonable to do. Thanks!
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 7/11/2017 2:59:06 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The headstock/nut part would need to be routed out to fit the larger locking nut. More serious though, the body would need to be routed a lot!

This post here shows someone routing the body of a guitar for a floating tremolo:
http://www.projectguitar...ose-routing-system-r53/

All in all, it could be done, but you'll probably have an easier time finding a guitar with a floating tremolo already in it.

Hope this helps.
-Bill
ZxZueSxS
#3 Posted : 7/12/2017 12:12:39 AM

Groups: Member
I realized after I posted this that the back of the guitar would need a lot of routing. I'll probably just get a better fixed bridge. How much modification would it take to add a fixed bridge with a whammy bar? Would it just be routing a hole where the whammy bar screw would need to go in?
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 7/13/2017 2:58:36 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I'm not too familiar with those kind of systems. If you're thinking about something like a fender tremolo, they still have a large route in the back of the guitar.