Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Getting A "Strat" Style Tone for African Pop Music??? (AS93)
NorCalMark
#1 Posted : 7/22/2017 6:36:31 PM

Groups: Member
Hi Everyone:

Is there a relatively "easy" way to get something of a strat-style tone for playing West-African style pop or funk music?

Something along the lines of this sample (Scroll toward the bottom of the page and press the play button on the soundslice media player):

https://www.premierguitar.com/LESS_DD_Jun14_Ex7

Or something like the African-sounding guitar playing (both chords and melody) in a song like the Talking Heads Nothing But Flowers:

https://youtu.be/068AFYvd58E?t=23s

(Ignore the 12-string Rickenbacker that comes in during the chorus)

Maybe some very short reverb and a fast bit of chorus and using the middle pickup position (with both pickups selected)???

Also, I am sure a lot of it is up to the particular chord voicing as well...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
NorCalMark
#2 Posted : 7/23/2017 3:41:14 PM

I should probably mention that my AS93 is a 2016 model so for pup's it has the stock Super 58s (I think) instead of the Elites. Don't know if that makes a difference.
alathIN
#3 Posted : 7/23/2017 4:05:05 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds bright, sounds single coil, and maybe maple fretboard.

Can't do much about the fretboard, but you could replace the bridge pickup or both, and maybe consider pups with 4 lead wiring so you can split them and switch back and forth between single and double coil.

Peruse the Seymour Duncan website and listen to their samples. They also have multiple options for sneaking switches on to your guitar (for the split pickups option). I kind of like the one that goes on the pickup ring, so you don't have to irreversibly modify your guitar.
1 user thanked alathIN for this useful post.
NorCalMark on 7/24/2017(UTC)
gnappi
#4 Posted : 7/24/2017 1:42:35 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have yet to hear / play a split coil humbucker that comes in the same galaxy in sound with a strat. As a matter of fact (IMO) they don't even come close to a P90. If the single coil HB sound were sold alone I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone would sell one single guitar.

Buy a cheap strat if you want the sound, its real and less expensive than diddling with a HB guitar trying to get the sound.
1 user thanked gnappi for this useful post.
NorCalMark on 7/24/2017(UTC)
NorCalMark
#5 Posted : 7/24/2017 5:17:49 PM

Thanks for the notes.

Ok, well in that case I probably would pick up just a cheapo Squier strat or mustang or jaguar or something with a smaller scale since I have a hard time stretching on some chords with a 25 1/2" scale guitar.

I don't suppose Ibanez has any guitars with a 24" scale that would be "strat-like" and would be appropriate, would they? It seems like a lot of the guitars that Ibanez makes are great for shredding Metal... not something I am looking to do.