Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GSRM20 Mikro bridge saddles and intonations screws
edspyhill09
#1 Posted : 7/21/2017 3:38:53 AM

Groups: Member
The bridge on the Mikro bass cannot be intonated properly with the existing screws (too long) and springs. Can someone tell me the size of the screws used to adjust the intonation on GSRM20 Mikro bridge. Are they metric? I have to cut the existing screws to allow proper intonation on the E and A strings. I'm surprised Ibanez doesn't have a fix for this, even though it may not be a pro bass.

Ed S.
edspyhill09
#2 Posted : 7/24/2017 4:10:49 PM

edspyhill09;521593 wrote:
The bridge on the Mikro bass cannot be intonated properly with the existing screws (too long) and springs. Can someone tell me the size of the screws used to adjust the intonation on GSRM20 Mikro bridge. Are they metric? I have to cut the existing screws to allow proper intonation on the E and A strings. I'm surprised Ibanez doesn't have a fix for this, even though it may not be a pro bass.

Ed S.

Problem resolved. I did a test run by removing the screws and just set the saddles in place, and tuned the bass. I temporarily intonated each string by simply moving the saddles manually. Then measured each screw with the saddles in place and then cut the screws, carefully measuring each screw. I installed screws and did a permanent intonation.

The Mikro is now almost perfectly intonated. Only the E-string is slightly sharp at the 12th fret.

Now I'm happy.

Ed

D'Addario Chromes XL ECB81S
Bill@Ibanez
#3 Posted : 7/27/2017 2:46:24 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
This is an interesting fix!

I'll definitely forward this on to see if there is a reason you needed to even cut the screws down. Not sure if the bridge was installed slightly too far forward, or maybe they just need to change the screw sizes, like you said.

Thanks!
edspyhill09
#4 Posted : 7/27/2017 5:10:18 PM

Bill@Ibanez;521622 wrote:
This is an interesting fix!

I'll definitely forward this on to see if there is a reason you needed to even cut the screws down. Not sure if the bridge was installed slightly too far forward, or maybe they just need to change the screw sizes, like you said.

Thanks!

First off, Ibanez customer service (800) number did not know about the problem. He was more interested in telling me my bass was no longer under warranty, it was my setup, there was too much or too little relief in the neck, the action was too high. I Could not get answers on screw replacements and size, but the part number was sent to me, at $5.00 each. Really!

The original screw lengths were extremely long and bottomed out inside the saddles. Even the replacement screws would have to be cut down. The bridge must be incorrectly positioned. The E-string saddle is flush against the back of the bridge and it is still sharp. I may grind down that saddle so it can be drawn further away from the nut. I could no longer use the springs so I plan to use shrink tubes or plastic tubing.

It's a great bass. My fingerboard flawless. The ends of the frets are trimmed perfectly. The Mikro bass is really pro quality. It just needs a bridge redesign. Don't discontinue this model.

Thank you,

Ed T