Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

RG2550Z or RG2550EX ?
Neon_Knight_
#1 Posted : 7/31/2017 9:52:18 PM

Groups: Member
Man
I'm trying to decide between these two guitars, both available used for a similar price.

RG2550Z:
5-piece maple & walnut Wizard Prestige (58mm / 18mm / 20mm)
Edge Zero w/ ZPS3

RG2550EX:
3-piece maple Super Wizard Prestige (56mm / 17mm / 19mm)
Edge Pro

The Z is in pristine condition, but Wizard Prestiges were wider in 2009 than they used to be (58mm instead of 56mm at the last fret). The EX has a few chips/dings on the rear edges and some minor buckle rash.

They are both too far away to try before I buy and there is nowhere locally that I can test out bridges/necks on similar guitars. What I do know is that I actually quite like the Wizard II and Edge III on my Xiphos (my first Ibanez, so a big upgrade on what I was used to at time of purchase), but prefer the neck and ZR w/ ZPS2 bridge on my prestige Saber, which I bought later.

Which do you recommend?
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 8/3/2017 2:53:41 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The neck differences aren't too severe, so I wouldn't expect a largely noticeable difference between the feel of the necks. Depending on how well the necks were taken care of, one might be in better condition than the other. Unfortunately, this isn't something you'll be able to test/check beforehand, so that is more of a gamble and won't affect your decision.

If you like the ZPS better, I might lean towards that. Otherwise, they both use a "blade style" tremolo, so the feel should be similar to your EDGE 3. Either way, I think you'll enjoy either one!

Good luck!
-Bill