Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Whats on the workbench today...
Tracy Dae
#22 Posted : 4/29/2017 9:24:49 PM
Tracy Dae

Groups: Member
Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
I think the reverb tank I ordered might be taking a trip around the world before it gets delivered to my door. I normally order MOD reverb tanks from Amplifiedparts.com but they were out of stock and backordered on the 8EB3C1B tank when I tried to place my order. So I found a seller on Amazon who had them in stock. That seller's price was a few dollars higher but they had them in stock and their shipping was about the same. I had no way of knowing when or if Amplified parts would get them back in stock. So here we are over a week later and it hasn't arrived yet - and the tracking number says it will be here at the end of next week... This morning I received an email from Amplifiedparts informing me that they have the 8EB3C1B MOD tanks back in stock. If only they would have answered my email when I asked for an ETA I would have waiting them to get them back in stock, ordered from them - and I would most likely receive it on Tuesday.

Rant over...

Anyways, I do have everything else I need for this project. I have a good supply of OPA2134PA op-amps for the pre-amps and just received some more LM4562NA op-amps from Mouser for the buffers. I've painted the handles on the two Switchcraft RCA plugs for the reverb tank cables, one red and one black, let them dry for a week and soldered them to the Canare GS-4 Cable. It's raining today so I can't do anything outside and I don't want to go anywhere so I am replacing the reverb tank cables, pulling the TL072 op-amps out and putting IC sockets in their places. I don't have anyone available to come over and film me doing that so maybe next time. I just put some liquid DeoxIT in the pin holes of the sockets and brushed some on the pins of the op-amps themselves. This helps to ensure a great electrical connection and prevents corrosion on the pins and the sockets. Once they are dry I can pop in the op-amps and test the amp. Then put it back together and wait for the reverb tank to arrive.

What else am I gonna do on a rainy day... Browse around online for a used Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet that needs attention?.. Haha

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Rickrew
#23 Posted : 5/6/2017 3:44:52 PM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
On the strength of your praise of them, I'm going to look at a 90s era Blues Cube today - hoping it's every thing and more as you describe it. I'm needing multiple‚Äč amps now for several different rehearsal spaces, and I'm not dragging that extremely heavy Blues Deluxe every time I go somewhere. The Blues Cube looks to weigh about 30 lbs - 20 lbs less than my BD, which makes it very attractive indeed. Owner is asking $225, which seems pretty reasonable.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#24 Posted : 5/6/2017 7:56:34 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Is the one you are looking at a BC60 from the 90's? My experience base is with those specifically - and they are wonderful - but they are not light. They have some heft to them. I put wheels on mine because of their weight. I cannot speak about the BC30's from that time frame or the new versions of the Blues Cubes. I would love to try one of the new versions though.
Rickrew
#25 Posted : 5/6/2017 10:39:05 PM
Rickrew

Yes, it's a 90s era BC60 112, and while it's not a featherweight, it's more manageable than my Blues Deluxe.

I've spent about an hour with it now, and I'm able to get a sound that comes close to my BD. The BD is still thicker and warmer, somehow, but the BC60 has a very acceptable sound, both driven and clean.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#26 Posted : 5/10/2017 6:37:23 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Here are mine. I have the 60-watt 1x12 BC60 and the 90-watt 3x10 BC60. I only use the 3x10 for outdoor gigs.

I got the 3x10 used and abused. The lighter grill cloth was my first attempt at replacing grill cloth. I redid it a couple months after this pic was taken.

Tracy Dae
#27 Posted : 7/20/2017 3:38:50 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
An up coming project is to do some mods to a first generation Marshall MG100dfx 1x12 combo I recently found and put on layaway at my local GC.

Prior to finding this amp last Friday, I was in bartering with another musician for his broken MG100dfx. He wanted $150.00 for the broken MG100dfx as a "project or for parts" kinda thing. Then last Friday I stopped into GC on my way home from work and they had a used and fully functional MG100dfx with a price tag of $150.00 on it. So being the curious soul that I am I gave it a try and found that I like it quite a bit. I only had $20.00 extra on me at the time so I asked if they would hold it for me till I can come back with something to trade for it. They agreed but I haven't had a chance to get back there to negotiate a trade.

Anyways, though I liked the amp a lot I did not like the volume disparity between the clean/Crunch modes on the clean channel. So I downloaded the schematic and sorted out a solution for that. Then I checked YouTube and found that someone else also found a similar solution, though he came up with different values for the component changes than I did. My focus was solely on the clean/crunch channel. His focus was on both modes of both channels. That may be why he came up with different numbers than I did.

So the plan is to change a couple of resistors in the clean channel to balance the volumes of the Clean/Crunch modes. I will also very likely change out all six of the 4558 opamps for OPA2134PA opamps. I do not yet know if the amp I bought has the original speaker in it but if it is the original 4-Ohm OEM speaker I am going to replace it with an 8-Ohm Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker. Changing to an 8-Ohm speaker will be kinder to the power amp board than keeping the 4-Ohm speaker in there.

Something kinda important about buying a used amp that has a cooling fan in it is to make sure to replace the cooling fan with a new one. You never know where the original owner used the amp. So you have no idea how healthy the original fan might be. It is best to replace it with a new fan. It may also be a good idea to replace all the electrolytic caps on the output board since it is pretty easy and inexpensive to do that. So of course I will do that as well.

Tracy Dae
#28 Posted : 7/23/2017 3:57:34 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
I picked up the used Marshall MG100dfx combo today. My boyfriend lives close to the local GC so he met me up there and we went to his house to take the amp apart and take a look. It did have the original 4-Ohm speaker, which is a generic Eminence 4-Ohm speaker. I have an Eminence Beta 12A/2 on hand so I put that in there for now. The fan was very noisy so I took it out and sprayed some lubricant in the bearing area to quiet it down so I can use the amp between now and when all the parts I will order to put in it arrive. A new fan is the first thing on my Mouser shopping list for this amp. Haha

After I got the amp back together Scott sat back as I played it through each of the channels then I showed him the YouTube video that fella made demonstrating the mods he made to it. Scott commented that though the amp I now have does sound good, the one that fella modified sounds better. So since it will only take a little extra time to do the mods to both channels, I am going to mod both channels as well. After I've done all the mods to the board and re-tested the amp I'll order the Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker for it... You know, just in case I blow the amp up or something. LOL
Tracy Dae
#21 Posted : 7/27/2017 3:28:49 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Originally Posted by: Tracy Dae Go to Quoted Post
My next Mouser order will also include some TLE2072's to try in this amp. The TLE2072 is the "official designated upgrade" replacement for the TL072. I've never used them before so we will give those a try and see how it goes. LOL

The mouser order came in the mail today so I pulled out all five of the OPA2134PAs I had in there and popped in the TLE2072s in their places. The amp does sound better with the TLE2072s than it does with the original TL072 opamps but not as good as it sounds with the OPA2134PAs. The noise floor is almost down as low as the OPA2134PAs took it down - but not quite. Now I know the power supply in the Fender Deluxe 112+ cannot support OPA2134PAs. I may try putting just one or two of the OPA2134PAs back in there. Specifically U2 and U6. U2 creates the primary voice/response of the amp. U6 is the driver for the reverb tank. The other three are just for the two tone stacks and for summing the two channels... Maybe the power supply can support one or two OPA2134PAs but not five of them... The only way to find out is to experiment.

Next is to revoice the clean channel of the MG100DFX to balance the clean/crunch modes better. I'm also going to tweak the gain of the OD channel down just a tad... But that is for another day. Worked another stupid long day today and I need to sleep.
Tracy Dae
#29 Posted : 8/4/2017 1:58:58 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Dang I messed that up. I thought I was adding an update to a problem I created for my Fender Deluxe 112+ amp but now I see that I unintentionally deleted the post describing the problem when I added the update describing the solution. Yeah I must be more tired than I thought from working all these extra hours these past couple of weeks. LOL
Rickrew
#30 Posted : 8/6/2017 11:39:01 AM
Rickrew

Wish I had you electronics chops. My path didn't go in that direction, though. I've thought about studying electronics on my own - as a hobbiest. Not sure how to start, though I've done a little bit of reading. The math doesn't seem too hard, but there are a lot of other things to remember. And then there's that whole experience thing. . . Seems like I could learn some stuff, but might not know how to apply it.

Where did you get your training Tracy?

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#31 Posted : 8/6/2017 4:06:32 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Originally Posted by: Rickrew Go to Quoted Post
Where did you get your training Tracy?

Rick

In the U.S. Air Force. Happy
Rickrew
#32 Posted : 8/6/2017 8:39:25 PM
Rickrew

I suspected it was a service branch. Thanks for serving - and still serving by sharing your knowledge.

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#33 Posted : 8/20/2017 2:39:18 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Well, tonight's gig got canceled due to a power outage so I had some time tonight to make the mods to the Marshall MG100DFX. Big difference. Now the clean/crunch channel is much better balanced. The clean volume was dramatically lower than the crunch volume on that channel. That really bothered me and it was really my only complaint about this amp other than the noisy fan. I also balanced the OD channel with the clean/crunch channel better. So now clean, crunch and OD1 are much closer together volume/gain wise. Actually, the crunch and OD1 sound very similar but just enough different to be useful. The OD2 setting on the OD channel is still a lot louder than the OD1 setting but that doesn't bother me. The gain on the OD2 setting is a tad too insane for me so I don't even use it. Haha

Now that I know the mod works and works well I will save up to buy a Celestion Classic Lead 80 for this amp.
Happy