Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ceramic pup height?
DugT
#1 Posted : 8/6/2017 7:52:31 PM

Groups: Member
I'm wondering if anyone here has tested to find an ideal height for the ceramic pups in the AR series guitars. I couldn't find an Ibanez spec for this. For there Les Paul guitars "Gibson’s engineers recommend a 1.6-millimeter distance between the strings and the pickups for the bridge pickup, and 2.4 millimeters for the neck pickup." I found that quote online and couldn't find pup height spec info on Gibson's website.The pups on my slightly used AR720 were at about 4mm. I raised my pups to Gibson's spec and I think it sounds a lot better but I have low confidence in my ability to judge this since I am new to electric guitars.

Since the ceramic magnets in newer AR guitar pups are the most powerful magnets used in pups, maybe they would sound better a little lower from the strings than Gibson's spec. Gibson still makes Les Paul's with pups with alnico II's to Alnico 8's. The 8's are almost as powerful as ceramic's. There most expensive Les Paul's have Alnico 8's.
Tracy Dae
#2 Posted : 8/7/2017 3:33:33 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 106 post(s)
It is best to adjust them by ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biWMx6q8U8
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
DugT on 8/7/2017(UTC)
DugT
#3 Posted : 8/7/2017 5:36:45 AM

Thanks, Tracy.

That video taught me what to listen for and it worked. I had googled it but youtube was much more effective because of the audio.

dt