Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AS73 tone...... With stock pickups.... Check it
Artcore
#1 Posted : 8/23/2017 8:25:44 PM
Artcore

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
hannu
#2 Posted : 8/24/2017 11:51:36 AM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
AS73 sounds great, very creative work!
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325 | 2013 Ibanez AKJ95
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
2013 Fender Jazz Bass
1 user thanked hannu for this useful post.
Artcore on 8/24/2017(UTC)
Artcore
#3 Posted : 8/24/2017 5:19:18 PM
Artcore

Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thanks Hannu!!

The Ibanez forum is not really the right audience for what I'm doing...... Not rock, not blues, not straight jazz...... But hey, I do love the Ibanez guitars. Affordable, well made, sound great!

This AS73 I picked up is pretty amazing. I'd put it up against any Gibson ES-335 out there. Plus it's light! 7lbs flat..... It saves my old man shoulder.

It makes me happy.

Thank YOU Ibanez.
alathIN
#4 Posted : 9/12/2017 2:20:42 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Wow that is very cool. And what an amazing collection of World War 1 images. I am an amateur military historian and you found a lots of pictures that I've never seen before.

I'm wondering what percentage of what you guys play is improvised and what percentage you have planned out beforehand.

Don't be the least bit shy about eclecticism. I know Ibanez has a reputation for being shredder guitars. And obviously they do make some guitars that are very good for that style. But I have always thought they are a great company making a lot of different kinds of very nice guitars for a very economical price. My first guitar back in the 1980s was an Ibanez. Sometime in college I stopped playing and just picked a guitar up again this summer after a 32-year lay off. Got a b-stock as73 and have been delighted with it.

I do really like the tones you are getting out of the stock pickups. I don't think I'm familiar with the amp you were playing in that video. Judging from the big red light I am going to guess that it is a tube amp and the way the cabinet is angled back on the top has a Fender ish look. But I don't think I've ever seen a Fender amp exactly like that. What is it? I was also wondering if you were using reverb that's in your amp or if that is just the ambience of the room you were playing in. Either way I like it a lot.

Would it be accurate to say that you guys are influenced by space music? I don't really know a lot about space music, but there used to be a radio show on NPR late at night called Hearts of Space that played a lot of interesting stuff. You guys' sound reminded me of that radio show a little bit.

Speaking of eclectic, I am so eclectic that I am having a difficult time figuring myself out. I like the hollow-body electric sound, especially when played through Vox tube amps, because I love that bright treble sound but I also want a layer of warmth underneath it. I did feel like the stock pickups on the as73 were good and very versatile, and you are certainly getting some very nice tones out of yours, but being a little bit of a brightness addict I have liked the sound better since I changed to Seymour Duncan Seth lover pickups. To add some more oddball eclectic elements, since coming back to the guitar I have been playing only fingerstyle, which I always loved but never had the patience to learn it until I became an old guy. Right now the songs I have been working on include a Willie Nelson cover of a Townes Van Zandt song, Simon & Garfunkel, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Gordon Lightfoot, Judy Garland, Johnny Cash, various praise music, and a very unusual fingerstyle arrangement of Happy Birthday. So if they start booting people off the board for eclecticism, I will probably be booted off before you are.