Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

EW20QMENT Yr 1201 Tuner/Pickup Dead?
Exhead
#1 Posted : 6/16/2016 4:30:21 PM

Groups: Member
Bought a used EW20QMENT (dated 1201) guitar from a guy locally. Did not bring amp or iphone plug to test in field. Guy said yeah they work. Yeah thanks for burning me dude. Anyway Tuner and pickup do not work. Changed batteries, etc. Tuner blinks green light with new batteries, but does not receive sound to tuner. Removed jack/battery box all looks good there, plug and wires intact. Screw missing from tune/controls unit and crack there should of given me a clue there was an issue. My bad... I have not removed the tuner/controls unit to inspect yet. I see I can order a whole new unit for replacement from Ibanez. Any other suggestions to try before I go that far.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 6/16/2016 7:51:20 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I'm not sure what you can test for, but you should still be able to find replacement parts. I couldn't find anything specifically linking to your guitar, but I believe these are the parts you have:

Preamp - 5AEQ45F

Pickup - 5APU10H

Output Assembly - 5AJB01F
RIX
#4 Posted : 6/21/2016 9:52:47 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Bill,

2012 Acoustic Guitar Catalog Page

Looks like Exhead has a 2012 model and the parts for that year are:

Preamp 5AEQ61F
Pickup 5APU10F
O/P Jack, Battery Assy 5AJB05F

The Ibanez page is weird and won't let me attached pics; here is the link to the parts page:

Ibanez Parts Page
RIX
Bill@Ibanez
#5 Posted : 6/22/2016 12:54:57 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Thanks RIX,

He mentioned it was dated 1201, but I actually think he was refering to the "Factory Code" listed after the model number. It is a little tough to see, but in this picture, the model number is listed and then a "1202":

That 1202 does not refer to a date, but actually to a factory code. The serial number shows 2008. You'll see the factory codes listed on that parts website right next to the date range.

So for you, Ex Head, if the factory code is listed after the model number as '1201' The parts I listed should be correct. If the "1201" is part of the serial number on the bottom of the sticker, then the correct parts are what RIX posted above.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
RIX
#6 Posted : 6/23/2016 4:02:26 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Oops, my bad; thanks Bill for setting me straight.

Bill@Ibanez;519844 wrote:
Thanks RIX,

He mentioned it was dated 1201, but I actually think he was refering to the "Factory Code" listed after the model number. It is a little tough to see, but in this picture, the model number is listed and then a "1202":

That 1202 does not refer to a date, but actually to a factory code. The serial number shows 2008. You'll see the factory codes listed on that parts website right next to the date range.

So for you, Ex Head, if the factory code is listed after the model number as '1201' The parts I listed should be correct. If the "1201" is part of the serial number on the bottom of the sticker, then the correct parts are what RIX posted above.

Hope this helps!
-Bill

RIX
stfiii
#3 Posted : 9/18/2017 8:28:40 PM

Thanks to Bill@Ibanez;519798 for the photos I'm using in this post.

I had an issue with my preamp and pickup and wanted to share what it was doing and the simple fix incase anyone else our there has a similar issue.

The Tuner on my preamp started to have some issues. It wasn't doing a very good job of keeping the light on the note that I was tuning to. The light would bounce around a lot, It would go from a E to a G then up to a F and finally rest back on the note I was tuning to. I thought it was the new strings that I put on the guitar and just learned to live with it. Fast forward a few weeks I buy a small amp for the guitar and I plug it in. Nothing. No sound coming out at all. So I took my guitar into a shop, the guy takes it to the back, changes the battery, plugs it in, tells me the pre amp is fried and quotes me a price of a couple hundred dollars. I just shook my head and walked out. Last night I decided, what the hell. The damn electric part of my guitar doesn't work, the tuner sucks, I might as well just take the thing apart and see if I can figure anything out.

I removed the battery and output box from the tail of the guitar and unplugged the wiring harness that leads to the pre amp. Output Assembly - 5AJB01F
[/quote]

I removed all the strings and the bridge, I can see the little strip under the bridge that is the pickup. Pickup - 5APU10H

I removed the bolts for the pre amp and pulled everything out through the big hole. Preamp - 5AEQ45F

First thing I notice is that the pickup wire that goes into the pre amp, I pushed that wire in it to make sure it was plugged in all the way and guess what! It WASN'T. The damn electric pick up wire was only partially plugged in. The socket that the pickup wire plugs into is very loose socket. It takes very little pressure to unplug it and plug it back in. Somehow mine became partially unplugged. And It was just enough to allow the tuner to work (badly), and enough that no audio was coming out to the amp.

It was such a simple fix but I was doubting the simplicity of it the whole time. I really believed that after I put it back together it still wouldn't work. My luck is never that great! So I put everything back together and plugged it in. FIXED. Didn't cost a penny. I think guitar shops that do repairs probably know about this issue, how easy it is for the Pickup plug to come out of the pre amp. part of me wants to partially unplug it again and take it back to the guitar shop to see if they'll actually try to charge me for a new pre amp installation.

Before anyone out their buys a new preamp, or takes their guitar to a shop, you should at least take it apart first and look at your wiring. This was a very simple fix and it was very simple to put everything back together.