Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

PCBE12MH-OPN info?
sdgrfan1
#1 Posted : 3/23/2017 10:12:27 PM
sdgrfan1

Groups: Member
Hi all. I just purchased a new Ibanez acoustic bass. I know this bass is 32" scale, but I don't know what strings are on it. They look and feel like bronze, but they've been painted black. Is this typical for this bass (painted strings?) or did a dealer mess me around?

Also, the owner's manual that came with it says Acoustic Guitar, but would you follow the same specifications for this acoustic bass for setting it up?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 3/24/2017 12:40:51 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The black strings were a recent change, and yes, they are factory:
http://www.ibanez.com/pr...ta_id=92&color=CL01

This is probably the manual that came with it and it is the same for acoustics and acoustic basses. The biggest difference between acoustics and acoustic basses that isn't realy touched on in the manual is action. On an acoustic bass, measuring at the 14th fret, we set them around 2-2.25mm on the high side, and 2.5-2.75mm on the low side. Action is something that many people have their own preference on, so this is just a starting point.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
sdgrfan1
#3 Posted : 3/24/2017 4:16:40 PM
sdgrfan1

Thanks, Bill.

That's what mine measures. No buzzing anywhere. I just wanted to know because the stock strings are, for my taste, too noisy (being bronze round-wounds) and I want to put some black nylon strings on it. I suspect these would have a different tension, so I'd like to get it close to where Ibanez sets it and then, as you say, tweak it from there. My manual is very similar to the one in your link.

BTW, this is, IMO, an awesome little affordable acoustic-electric bass. The finish (or lack thereof) is wonderful. It is a deep, rich brown color - understated but attractive. I like the 32" scale. It sounds good unplugged for practice, but really shines plugged into my Fender 25W amp. It has a nice balance with a woody tone to it. I love this bass. I just wish the hardcase for it wasn't so expensive.

Last couple of questions if I may:

1. Is the top solid? Or is this an all-laminate guitar?

2. PCBE12MH-OPN? Any idea what this acronym stands for? I can guess that BE is "Bass Electric", that MH is "Mahogany", and that OPN refers to "Open Pore", but do you know what the rest of it means?

Thanks again.
sdgrfan1
#4 Posted : 4/10/2017 10:03:03 AM
sdgrfan1

I guess I'll take a stab at answering my own questions.

1. My suspicion is that, based on the price, the top is laminate. This bass is too affordable to have a solid top on it.

2. I think the bass' acronym name stands for Performer Cutaway Bass Electric Mahogany Open Pore. I have no idea what the 12 is in reference to.
Bill@Ibanez
#5 Posted : 4/11/2017 2:01:43 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
sdgrfan1;521274 wrote:
I guess I'll take a stab at answering my own questions.

1. My suspicion is that, based on the price, the top is laminate. This bass is too affordable to have a solid top on it.

2. I think the bass' acronym name stands for Performer Cutaway Bass Electric Mahogany Open Pore. I have no idea what the 12 is in reference to.

Sorry for the late response on this one!!

You are correct, the bass has a laminate top.

As for the model number, you are fairly close!

P stands for Performer for the series
C stands for Concert for the body shape
B stands for Bass
E stands for Electric for having a preamp system
12 is a model number designation that doesn't have any specific meaning
ME stands for Mahogany
OPN stands for Open Pore

Hope this helps!
-Bill
sdgrfan1
#6 Posted : 9/24/2017 12:49:11 AM
sdgrfan1

Thanks, Bill.

Just a quick update. I've had my PCBE12mh for about 6 months and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I did modify it slightly, and thought I'd share those mods here for you and others.

As I mentioned, I wasn't too crazy about the 80/20 roundwound strings that came on it. I really wanted something of an old-school thump, probably not a sound that many would desire in their acoustic bass guitar. But I ended up buying black Nylon Tapewounds that are D'Addario CL ETB92M - medium scale. These strings' specs are a bit wider than the carbon coated roundwounds that came on the bass and I anticipated quite a bit of nut slot filing. Actually, the only nut slot that needed widening was the low E. I didn't deepen it, I just widened it enough so that the E string sat comfortably in the slot. I also had to widen the slot in the E-string plastic pin-peg because the new string had so much thread around it at the ball end.

After my mods and installation, I found that the action was 2.5mm on the E-string and 2mm on the G-string, at the bottom of what you mentioned but, still, with no buzzing up or down the neck. The strings didn't change the neck relief or the intonation.

Granted, the bass is a bit "quieter" now with these tapewounds, but it allows me to practice quietly so as not to bug my wife and it really, REALLY comes alive with old-school thump plugged into my amp.

Again, thanks for all your help. Ibanez has created quite a little gem in this bass.

If you happen to know of a good-quality gigbag to fit this, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Regards,
Bill (not at Ibanez, but still a fan)