Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Upgrading an SRX300 from 2004
conkal
#1 Posted : 9/5/2017 1:52:07 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hello all!

I have an SRX300 as a second bass. The otherone is a versatile warwick corvettte $$ 5. I was thinking lately of upgrading it , changing its electroning and maybe pickups with something better.

I was thinking of a preamp that has a mid pot and the tremble doesnt hiss. Also switches to switch each pickup to single / humbucker series and parallel.

Is it worth it ? Has anyone tried it? Can you propose any gear (pickups and OB electronics ) that you used?

Thank you in advance
conkal
#2 Posted : 9/25/2017 10:28:05 AM

I am thinking of Seymour Duncan NYC splittable pickups or a Bartolini M3 and for pre-amps: Aguilar OBP-3 or the Darkglass Tone Capsule

Any thoughts ?
Bill@Ibanez
#3 Posted : 9/26/2017 4:15:41 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
It looks like any of those options would be a decent choice. Can't say that I've ever had the chance to play these, but based on the specs, they seem to be a fair upgrade compared to the stock parts. I would just be sure to get the measurements and measure your stock pickups to see if they are the same size and will fit into the cavity.

If you do happen to make the upgrade, I'm sure more people would be interested to know how it turned out!

Hope this helps!
-Bill
conkal
#4 Posted : 9/27/2017 1:10:05 PM

I know that financially it may not make any sense but i love that bass. it was my first bass and (as weird as it may sound for such a cheap bass ) it holds a tuning/setup like nothing .

The measurements are right (I think) but even if not then I have the tools available to create the space in the cavity.

My only reluctancy comes from the fact that a set of pickups and a preamp can cost a significant % of my monhtly income :-/

It would be really helpful is anyone has used these parts in an SRX bass, to get at least an idea that i am not making a mistake