Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tuning peg problem on G string
carlcaulkett
#1 Posted : 11/5/2017 10:25:55 PM
carlcaulkett

Groups: Member
Hello, I've got an ancient Ibanez Artist AR300 which dates from 1979, and which I purchased after a rave review in Sounds music paper by Valac van der Veene. It's served me well over the years with no fixes other than string changes needed.

In the last couple of days, however, I'm getting a problem whereby the tuning peg on the G string is unscrewing from the rest of the string mechanism rather than loosening the string as I want.

I can't figure out how to secure the mechanism. Obviously I can tighten the tuning because of the way the screws are aligned, but at the moment the string is 3 semi-tones too high and I would like to restore it to normal. I hope I have described the problem adequately. Can anyone help or recommend a cheap tool kit which whould help me repair it.

Thanks a lot,
Carl Caulkett
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 11/6/2017 8:43:30 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 420 time(s) in 410 post(s)
I'm not 100% sure what could be causing this without actually taking a look at it... It is possible that someone might be able to fix it, but it could also be possible that it will need to be replaced. If you aren't sure, I might check with a local repair tech or luthier to see if they can fix it for you. Unfortunately, if they are unable to fix it, I don't know how easy it would be to find the original machines for those anymore.

Good luck!
carlcaulkett
#3 Posted : 11/6/2017 8:49:29 PM
carlcaulkett

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I've sent an email to Ibanez's UK distributor, Headstock, so I'll wait to hear what they have to say. I might then go down the local Luthier route, though I need to find a new hard case to transport it, as the old one is being held together by little more than desperation and nostalgia!!
RIX
#4 Posted : 11/7/2017 11:40:52 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 53 post(s)
I thought you might find this helpful. At least it will give you an idea of what is inside the tuner.

I suspect that this one had a bad spot somewhere in the gears, so when you were just about to tune to pitch it would stop tightening the string, but as you continued to turn the knob the gear would catch after about a half to full turn of the tuner knob and the string would continue to tighten.

I tried lubricated the gears and tightening the capstan screw, but that did not fix it. IMHO I found these turners are pretty much not repairable.
RIX
carlcaulkett
#5 Posted : 11/12/2017 12:44:45 PM
carlcaulkett

Thanks Rix.