Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Dimarzio Super Distortion swap
jep1210
#1 Posted : 11/21/2017 3:52:10 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a new Ibanez RG470AHM with an HSH set up. I'm playing around with a few different pickup option to replace the stock Quantum pickups that came with the guitar. I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion kicking around that I thought I'd try. It's an old one that I got way back in 84 or 85 with 3 wires, black/white/bare. The Quantums also have 3 wires, black/White/red. The black wire seems to be ground as it goes to the volume pot, the white wire goes to the end lug on the switch and the red wire goes to fifth lug from the white wire. I guess I should mention it's a 5 way switch with the bridge and neck pickups splitting coils with the middle single coil at the 2nd and 4th position on the switch (god I hope this makes sense to someone).

I was going to put the black wire of the Dimarzio SD where the red wire of the Quantum went, the white to white and the bare to the volume pot but I'm not sure if this is correct. I can't seem to find any accurate diagrams so I figured I'd ask the experts. I've attached a picture which hopefully helps.

[img=]Wires[/img]
Michal
#2 Posted : 11/21/2017 11:34:12 PM
Michal

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi,

In 3 wires Dimarzios White is Hot, Black and Bare are ground. So Black and Bare to the pot, White to the one you described as "5th" where the red used to be (most Ibanez stock pickup used Red as hot). With 3 wire you don't get coil-split feature, and that's what for the white is used in Quantum I believe.

You can also reverse the phase, by using Black as hot and White as ground (together with Bare) - that's an option if somehow your pickup will be out of phase with the single, but if it was wired properly previously, this shouldn't happen.
2003 RG370B
1 user thanked Michal for this useful post.
jep1210 on 11/22/2017(UTC)
jep1210
#3 Posted : 11/22/2017 5:00:54 PM

Originally Posted by: Michal Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

In 3 wires Dimarzios White is Hot, Black and Bare are ground. So Black and Bare to the pot, White to the one you described as "5th" where the red used to be (most Ibanez stock pickup used Red as hot). With 3 wire you don't get coil-split feature, and that's what for the white is used in Quantum I believe.

You can also reverse the phase, by using Black as hot and White as ground (together with Bare) - that's an option if somehow your pickup will be out of phase with the single, but if it was wired properly previously, this shouldn't happen.

Thank you. I decided to go with an Air Norton I had instead but, with your information I'll try the 3 wire SD at some point.
Michal
#4 Posted : 11/22/2017 8:55:20 PM
Michal

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
No worries! Air Norton is sweet sounding pickup, one of my favourite Dimarzios :)
2003 RG370B
Les
#6 Posted : 11/23/2017 12:18:29 AM
Les

I want to know too. I have RG450DXB w/quantums and i was curious about the comparison.
jep1210
#5 Posted : 11/23/2017 2:22:38 AM

Originally Posted by: Michal Go to Quoted Post
No worries! Air Norton is sweet sounding pickup, one of my favourite Dimarzios :)

I've had it for a while, I wasn't sure about using it in the bridge position since I believe it was originally designed to be a neck PU. Even though their web site said it could be used in the bridge, I haven't been reading anything on the forums of anyone using it there and it seems all the Ibanez guitars that come with them have them in the neck. I played it at practice last night but kind of got side tracked. We were using in-ear monitors for the first time and I didn't get to really hear the Air Norton coming out of the amp just in the in-ear :-/ LOL.