Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Whats on the workbench today...
Tracy Dae
#41 Posted : 11/26/2017 5:02:44 PM
Tracy Dae

Groups: Member
Woman
Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 111 post(s)
The frets are micro-leveled and polished and I've mounted the pickups I rebuilt to use in this guitar.

The fret work on these late 90's AR200 guitars is actually quite good so not much work was needed to micro-level them. They were already pretty close to being where they would be if they were micro-leveled. As I look at these pics I see a bit of Never Dull that got stuck on there that I missed while cleaning up. Pics are good for more than just showing your stuff. LOL

The bridge pickup is an AH2, which is what was stock on these MIK Artists back in those days. I rather like the AH2 as it is but prefer some sort of cover for noise prevention. So I put open top covers on these.

The neck pickup is an AH1, which again was stock on these MIK Artists back in those days. The AH1 originally came with a ceramic magnet. I prefer AlNiCo. So I rebuilt this pickup. Converted it into a four-wire pickup to accommodate the tri-sound function I want and I replaced the ceramic magnet with an AlNiCo V magnet. Then of course installed an open top cover and re-potted the pickup.

That's all I have time for this morning. It's time for me to get cleaned up for family time at my parents house. Maybe I will get a chance to do more this evening. The next step is to wire up the electronics, get some strings on it, test it then install a GraphTech "NuBone" nut. Have a great day.
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Tracy Dae
#42 Posted : 11/28/2017 2:44:16 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Didn't get much time to work on it today but I completed and tested the bridge pickup circuit. The neck pickup is the more complex one cause it gets the tri-sound and phase switching. Not sure when I will get a chance to work on it some more. Appointments after work tomorrow and Wednesday and band practice after work Thursday and Friday. Maybe Saturday morning unless something gets canceled.

Tracy Dae
#43 Posted : 11/30/2017 2:52:43 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
The hardest part, the mini-toggles, is done. Just need to solder up the volume and tone controls for the neck pickup. Now again it's time to get ready for bed.

Tracy Dae
#44 Posted : 12/1/2017 2:46:12 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Finished the wiring tonight and I am very please with the tones I get out of this guitar.

To re-cap the wiring changes:

1) Matched up a pair of late 90's AH "Axis" humbuckers from my parts bins.

2) Re-wired the neck pickup to be four wire and replace the ceramic magnet with an AlNiCo V magnet. Increase the charge in the bridge pickup AlNiCo V magnet a little.

3) Solder open top covers on the pickups and re-pot them.

4) Add mini-toggles to the guitar. One is a Tri-Sound to switch the neck pickup from standard series to single coil and parallel. The second switches the pickups out of phase with each other.

5) Replace the OEM pots which were comprised of linear taper volume controls and D taper tone controls with all audio taper pots and treble bleeds on the volume controls.

6) The new switch harness that goes from the volume pots to the switch and then to the Switchcraft output jack is made using vintage shielded pushback wire with a 22-awg stranded core. Red heat shrink for the bridge pickup circuit. Blue heat shrink for the neck pickup circuit. Black for the output line.

7) MojoTone "Dijon" tone capacitors.

Yes it does get pretty busy inside the control cavity when you start adding mini-toggles. Haha

The end result is a guitar that sounds very much like a mid 80's Aria Pro II Cardinal CS400 - with one extra tone. Yes I like it very much.

The last thing to do is replace the nut with a GraphTech "NuBone" nut. But it is time for bed and since I just got my nails done yesterday I need to wait till the weekend before my next nail appointment to replace the nut. I can't seem to shape a guitar nut without wrecking my nails. LOL

jonyrotten
#45 Posted : 12/1/2017 5:06:23 PM
jonyrotten

Man
jeeze louise, that's a friggin plumber's nightmare. you got some poop goin on.

<pretend italic because i can't remember enough html to actually tag this>Add mini-toggles to the guitar. One is a Tri-Sound to switch the neck pickup from standard series to single coil and parallel. The second switches the pickups out of phase with each other.</i used to be a decent coder>

just damn. i love that double cutaway style, i've got an old Vantage that has that type of build, it's beautiful. a neck through and the woodgrain is just hnnnggggg, ya know?

BTW, thanks for the short scale bass string post. i figured it was that, but i wanted validation

Tracy Dae
#47 Posted : 12/1/2017 5:55:14 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Originally Posted by: jonyrotten Go to Quoted Post
jeeze louise, that's a friggin plumber's nightmare. you got some poop goin on.

Haha it's not half as bad as it looks. That's why I use different color heat shrink in there. So I can know what is what with a quick glance. I left a bit extra wire length than I normally do just in case I decide to change things up in the future. When you lift out the extra, it looks a lot cleaner. LOL
Tracy Dae
#46 Posted : 12/2/2017 12:30:27 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
BTW, thanks for the short scale bass string post. i figured it was that, but i wanted validation

You are very welcome. I am primarily a guitar player but I do occasionally play bass - and I used short scale basses when I do. My current bass is a short scale Ibanez Talman TMB30 and I absolutely love it. It is the perfect bass for a guitar player who occasionally plays bass.

And it fits perfectly in a Gator Jaguar/Jazzmaster guitar case.

jonyrotten
#48 Posted : 12/3/2017 12:27:56 PM
jonyrotten

Man
my wife is trying to learn, so she is like 5ft 4, so it's much easier for her than my pink Charvel. her arms just aren't long enough for that one.

trying so hard to find the attach switch. i really didn't think i was that wasted. sew buttons. i'll go post some poop on my server and hit you a link just for giggles

EDIT: here's the charvel

http://www.jonyrotten.net/ibbyboard/charvel.jpg

and the Vantage that i was talking about. i don't have a single picture of it and she would kill me if i made noise and woke her up right now, the upstairs is directly over our bedroom. it's the one in the back between the ovation and the charvel

http://www.jonyrotten.net/ibbyboard/upstairs.jpg

EDIT 2: i forgot, i was going to say that vantage also has a coil tap switch. i was the only guy in high school that could select my pickups like that. sweet.

EDIT 2a: your quote

sounds very much like a mid 80's Aria Pro II

jesus on a friggin crutch. you actually know what that is. guess who made the Vantage? remember the Aria les paul knockoffs? back before gibson bought epiphone and started making their version of a squire. the only way to go was an Aria pro2
Tracy Dae
#49 Posted : 12/4/2017 6:09:47 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Tracy Dae wrote:
..sounds very much like a mid 80's Aria Pro II

jesus on a friggin crutch. you actually know what that is. guess who made the Vantage? remember the Aria les paul knockoffs? back before gibson bought epiphone and started making their version of a squire. the only way to go was an Aria pro2

I rememer those Vantage's and I did like them.

Yes I do know what an Aria Pro II is. I'm an old lady now. LOL... Back in the day every guitar player in and around the town I grew up in had an Aria Pro II PE (Which is similar to a Les Paul). I still have the Aria Pro II PE I had when I was in high school. The frets are worn down flat on it but I still have the guitar. LOL

I acquired another Aria PE this past summer, a gold top one with P90's in it. It's MIC so it's not as good as my old MIJ one but its still pretty good.

I put a Lollar P90 "Staple" in the neck position on it. Love that Staple pickup. I wish Lollar would make one that fits in a humbucker route.

jonyrotten
#50 Posted : 12/6/2017 7:09:30 AM
jonyrotten

Man
i had a sears robuck knockoff when i was about 12. it was most likely the same people that built the aria. my dad bought me a POS acoustic at woolco first. i had two years in on the trombone, so i wasn't coming from nothing. i was pretty good, but was just too damn lazy to practice much. it made a lot of noise as a bass instrument, and i hated having to go outside to play. so i said, hay, i just discovered Davey Johnstone and Paul Stanley, maybe let's try the guitar. so my dad said, you learn to play this piece of junk, and i'll buy you a real guitar. so, challenge accepted (accept, see what i did there?) so it's been pretty much me being totally broke until i decided that being a rock star was not going to be a paying gig. so i kind of put the guitar down for about 30 years. then 3 years ago, i said, hey ya'll, watch this

maybe that guy was right. maybe i should write a book. you don't even want to know what happened during those 30 years
Tracy Dae
#51 Posted : 12/11/2017 2:57:04 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
I gigged with both these AR200 guitars last night and I am very pleased with the tones I can get out of them. Today I dug through my parts bins to see if I have any more of these pickups to modify. LOL

jonyrotten
#52 Posted : 12/14/2017 1:36:07 PM
jonyrotten

Man
Originally Posted by: Tracy Dae Go to Quoted Post
Today I dug through my parts bins

oh jeeze, this just gets better and better. engineers unite!!!