Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ibanez Champion
alsaxon
#1 Posted : 9/15/2007 2:29:45 PM

Groups: Member
<P>I just inherited an Ibanez Champion dreadnaught circa 1980.&nbsp; How can I tell if this guitar has a solid top or laminate top?</P>
<P>It has a great sound and is in great condition</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
Hikey Mikey
#1 Posted : 9/16/2007 2:33:37 AM
Hikey Mikey

<P>Look at the bottom edge of the soundhole. Put your head close to the fretboard and look straight at the edge. If the top is solid, you should be able to see the tree rings, the lines in the wood, running all the way from top to bottom. If it's a laminate, you will be able to see the layers separated by a horizontal line that runs perpendicular to the grain lines. </P>
<P>If you can't see what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll post a photo. </P>
<P>Glad to hear you like your Ibanez. Solid tops sound better the more they're played, they open up and the wood resonates more. Or better or whatever. I'm not sure how it happens, I just know it does. </P>
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune.

--Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"
#1 Posted : 9/16/2007 2:52:48 AM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
<br />
Hikey Mikey wrote:
Solid tops sound better the more they're played, they open up and the wood resonates more. Or better or whatever.
<br /> <br /> <br />This true for some guitars. <br /> <br />It depends on the lacquer that is used. Some lacquers will seal the wood so much that it won't let the pores expand (keeping moisture inside the wood); other lacquers are flex-able and allow the wood to cure properly over time (which makes them resonate differently). <br /> <br /> <br />The best solid acoustics are ones that use no lacquer at all. But that, too, has it's disadvantages. <br /> <br /><edited><editID>user0112358</editID><editDate>2007-9-16 2:53:40</editDate></edited>
Hikey Mikey
#1 Posted : 9/16/2007 12:53:41 PM
Hikey Mikey

<P>I'm sure the heavier finishes have an effect on the process, but is it so much of a factor that it negates the advantage of a solid top?</P>
<P>I'd still rather have a solid-top with a heavy lacquer finish (which will still open up a little bit) over a laminate, whose resonant properties will never change over time. &nbsp;</P>
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune.

--Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"
Chazmo
#1 Posted : 9/18/2007 9:16:57 PM
Chazmo

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm not familiar with the Champion.&nbsp; Can you post a picture?
1978 AW-120, 1980 AW-75, 1982 M310, 2009 AWS1000ECE-NT