Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<5678>
MEGATRON'S PICKUP GUIDE
Ouija
#124 Posted : 7/25/2008 6:02:39 PM
Ouija

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 40 post(s)
TB stands for Trembucker. It means the pole pieces are spaced further apart, as is typically needed for the bridge pickup on guitars that have a tremolo, since the strings are slightly further apart. What Dimarzio refer to as F-Spaced. A lot of guitars without tremolos also need F-spaced/Trembucker pickups. The easiest way is to simply measure the distance between the outer E strings over the pickup position. If it's 51 or 52mm, you need F-Spaced/Trembuckers. If it's 48/49, you need standard humbuckers (SH in the case of Seymour Duncans). If it's 50mm from E to E, you can use either (neither will fit perfectly).
Twenty321
#125 Posted : 7/27/2008 11:21:16 AM
Twenty321

That was my line of thought. If the string is causing a current to appear in the coil of a pickup, this energy must come from somewhere - the string, so it loses energy and hence sustain. If a pickup is not selected, the string is only losing energy to the air as sound and small amounts as heat, etc. If there is no complete circuit through an inactive pickup (I don't know enough abot the way they're wired) I believe they will have zero effect on sustain, as no current can flow in the pickup if it is short-circuited. (You might say a magnet will attract the metal of the string, but as it oscillates between moving away from and towards the pickup, surely the net effect would be zero).

Some Stupid with a flare gun
Burned the place to the ground
cosmitron
#126 Posted : 8/2/2008 4:16:20 AM
cosmitron

Hi! I don't know if it has been discussed before but does anybody already tried the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 + RG 550 (or any RG with basswood and maple neck?)
I have one that was used on a LP-like guitar and it sounded very good.
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.
#127 Posted : 8/9/2008 9:35:25 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The magnet is pulling on the strings and not allowing them to vibrate freely. It's like trying to punch someone under water (though this anology is over exagerated). The water provides enough resistance to greatly slow your arm but not so much that your arm cannot still reach it's target (just with less force).

The easiest way to beable to tell if it's the pickup's magnet creating issues is if the sustain issues multiply as you get higher up the neck (though you'll have slightly less sustain anyways the results should be very noticable). As you move up the neck the strings are fretted lower and lower. If the pickups magnet is overly powerful as those strings get closer the effect of the magnet is increased.

neptoess
#128 Posted : 9/13/2008 12:02:55 PM

keep in mind that this pickup guide is excellent, but don't use it like a bible. there are pickups that will not fit this mold. for example, Bill Lawrence L-500s are very high output pickups but have very little coil winding, which means that it is still very articulate, but it can overdrive preamp stages easily, and therefore as megatron said, compression before the amp can help for a more balanced tone. There are also very muddy low output pickups as well. Best way to choose a pickup is trial and error. Great guide though nonetheless
Ibanez RG4EX1 (Standard) - Bill Lawrence L-500R/L-500XL no tone pot, replaced with killswitch
Galveston Strat "$14 Special" (D#) - Routed bridge pickup cavity for INF3 humbucker, wired all 3 pots as volumes, no tones
Epiphone SG Special (C#)
Squier Acoustic (C)

Peavey Valveking 112 50W w/ G12K-100 speaker
MXR M-108 10-band Equalizer
bebisatch
#129 Posted : 9/22/2008 12:22:12 AM
bebisatch

Hi whats a good pickup for jazz or fusion? i have a rg350 ex, is that a good fusion or jazz guitar?
#130 Posted : 10/22/2008 1:12:04 PM
Groups:
eh basswood isn't the best for jazz but is certainly usable.

I'd highly suggest either bareknuckle stormy mondays or manhattans.
trashcanbob
#131 Posted : 7/15/2009 1:07:10 AM

haha battle over :P Amazing guide dude !!! Thread of the Year for sure !!
Dave67
#132 Posted : 1/30/2010 3:35:02 PM
Dave67

Anyone want to suggest a set of pickups for my Destroyer?
I have used the SuperD/ PAF Pro combo for years in my RGs. I have a set of WB Firewater in my LP copy. I only play though tubes and I am stuck in the 80's.
85 RS440BL
85 DT380WI
89 RG550DY
89 540PSHWH
04 DT200VA
Washburn WP80
Marshall Super Lead 100
Marshall 1960A/B
Ibanez Tube Screamer (orginal)
Epi half stack
Beacher
#134 Posted : 8/20/2010 2:59:28 PM

Can anyone tell me the make and model of this guitar pictured in Megatron's article.

Ouija
#137 Posted : 8/20/2010 7:08:08 PM
Ouija

Man
Nice top on that RGT, but i couldn't tell you what the specific model number was. Might want to look through the last few years catalogues under the RGT sections.
Beacher
#139 Posted : 8/20/2010 7:39:36 PM

I think I found it? ..... Ibanez RGT220

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rgt220h.htm

Looks sweet .... now the problem is finding one to try.
MaxOfMetal
#138 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:44:34 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Ouija wrote:
Nice top on that RGT, but i couldn't tell you what the specific model number was. Might want to look through the last few years catalogues under the RGT sections.

Look at that trem. Find me a flat baseplate, non-low profile unit that Ibanez ever used on an RG.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
Ouija
#140 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:52:28 PM
Ouija

Man
Can't really see the trem on my monitor, it's just an indiscriminate black lump unless i load it into GIMP and alter the color curves. That burled top means it's not a RGT220 though. Could be a Custom job by LACS or some other custom shop.
mikehiras
#141 Posted : 8/20/2010 9:27:10 PM
mikehiras

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
American Master Series...I dont recall the years they were made but early 90's I think. Fairly rare and pretty expensive when they were in production.
http://static.keebali.co...nez/catalogs/usa_91b.jpg
MaxOfMetal
#142 Posted : 8/20/2010 9:57:57 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
Beacher
#143 Posted : 8/21/2010 3:54:47 AM

Ah ... that looks like it? ... A Woodo GSX model in Burl (Sweden)

http://www.woodoguitars.se/

http://www.youtube.com/w...1rA&feature=related

I wonder how they play and sound???
JonnyDeath
#144 Posted : 12/11/2010 9:35:34 PM

Less sustain than set neck my ass!
I own many bolt on, neck through and set neck guitars.
In all models, set neck has boldly less sustain but the cleanest, densest notes and most sensitive response.
We're talking 8 or more set neck guitars of various designs I own, over a dozen bolt on maybe two and a half dozen neck through.

Neck through by far sounds the best and is the best overall performer but doesn't outperform the other designs in all respects.

Oh and if that neck heel is small, I'm Ted Gootenbergh!
I notice a lot of set neck and even neck through guitars where the heel is so F'ing big, it might as well be a bolt on.
wTf are these idiots thinking when they build these instruments.

Cute tutorial here but it's a bit arrogant and misleading and yes, please disagree with me about the sustain issue. We'll meet right up and put it to the test right!?
Les Paul, Strat, Rhoads' V, hollow body, mini hollow body I own them all and set neck has the least sustain hands down. Probably the best for recording though, especially direct. By far the least transient noise and cleanest, densest notes.
Neck through however has the most graceful, flowing velvety notes that are nearly a match in density with a better tonal fullness.

ibanezed4yrs
#145 Posted : 12/12/2010 9:28:00 AM
ibanezed4yrs

Man
JonnyDeath wrote:
Less sustain than set neck my ass!
I own many bolt on, neck through and set neck guitars.
In all models, set neck has boldly less sustain but the cleanest, densest notes and most sensitive response.
We're talking 8 or more set neck guitars of various designs I own, over a dozen bolt on maybe two and a half dozen neck through.

Neck through by far sounds the best and is the best overall performer but doesn't outperform the other designs in all respects.

Oh and if that neck heel is small, I'm Ted Gootenbergh!
I notice a lot of set neck and even neck through guitars where the heel is so F'ing big, it might as well be a bolt on.
wTf are these idiots thinking when they build these instruments.

Cute tutorial here but it's a bit arrogant and misleading and yes, please disagree with me about the sustain issue. We'll meet right up and put it to the test right!?
Les Paul, Strat, Rhoads' V, hollow body, mini hollow body I own them all and set neck has the least sustain hands down. Probably the best for recording though, especially direct. By far the least transient noise and cleanest, densest notes.
Neck through however has the most graceful, flowing velvety notes that are nearly a match in density with a better tonal fullness.

lol.. i like this dude... tell it like it is dang it..
if you're not livin on the edge, you're takin up too much room..
sixstring420
#46 Posted : 12/29/2010 12:21:21 PM
sixstring420

Man
[quote=Coolguy]Save us optimus!

/EDIT: Since I already posted this short post, I might as well make it a tad longer/relevant to this thread. (sorry I'm too lazy to hit search but I've already read a few threads about this question and haven't found an answer to my liking yet Think)

1. How do you think about Seymour Duncan JBs in an RG?
2. Is it hard/possible to put EMG active pickups in an RG? Is there room for the battery, etc.?

Show me the light o pickup gods. Pray

I have Duncan JB in my RG470 and it sounds great I love it. But you will need the TB-4 JB Trembucker Model if you have a Floyd Rose. It is the same pickup as the JB but it is just a bit wider spaced to match the string spacing of a Floyd Rose Trem.