Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<56789>
MEGATRON'S FLOATING TREM GUIDE
Beefcake
#139 Posted : 7/9/2008 11:23:33 PM

Groups: Member
Man
Yay i got my Ibanez and it kicks ass...but just one problem. The 12th fret buzzes on the 6th string and no where else just that E...anyone know why?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG5EX1 "Manny Black"
B.C. Rich Warlock Green Tribal Fire "Sophia"
Walmart First Act "Viejito"

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 30 30w
Crate 15w
Walmart 5w
Beefcake
#140 Posted : 8/2/2008 10:41:48 AM

Man
Problem solved, a simple string change fixed it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG5EX1 "Manny Black"
B.C. Rich Warlock Green Tribal Fire "Sophia"
Walmart First Act "Viejito"

Amps:
Line 6 Spider III 30 30w
Crate 15w
Walmart 5w
RGs_Rule
#89 Posted : 1/10/2009 12:08:06 AM
RGs_Rule

Man
Ouija wrote:
antonis91 wrote:
does the double edge pro has replaceable knife edges, too?

Depends if your talking about the Edge Pro II. If thats the case, the answer is NO. If your talking about a Double Edge, the ones that have piezo pickups mounted in the trem itself, the answer is YES.
The Edge Pro II has a replaceable knife edge plate. I've disassembled mine a few times. The two knives are at either end of a plate that is attached by three screws running underneath. It would be quite simple to replace although I don't see the plate listed on Ibanez' parts list or at Rich Harris.

I don't consider the knife edges of the Edge or LoPro Edge "replaceable", though the can be taken out with great effort. I've done it. It's no picnic.
Ouija
#141 Posted : 1/10/2009 6:46:20 AM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Yes. You can replace the plate on a Edge Pro II. But Ibanez doesn't sell them, or anybody else, so it's a mute point.

The knife edges on a Edge or LoPro may be hard to slide out of the two side holes, but you can easily pick up spare blades for a couple of bucks. Hence, replaceable.
RGs_Rule
#142 Posted : 1/10/2009 6:57:56 PM
RGs_Rule

Man
Ibanez doesn't sell the Edge LoPro knife inserts either. Rich Harris is the only person I know of that carries them and he only has a few sets in stock. Once they are gone, where are you going to get your knife edges? If there's another source I'd like to know of it.

It's "moot" point BTW.
Ouija
#143 Posted : 1/10/2009 8:01:42 PM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Lol. He'll probably just order more. You don't think he's been selling the same batch of Edge blades for all these years.

But you CAN get them is my point. The Edge Pro II baseplate isn't and hasn't been made available to anyone. You'd just have to buy a replacement trem to get hold of one.
Saintahui
#144 Posted : 2/10/2009 9:16:40 AM

Hi, guys. I've just joined the forum and this is my very first posting. For your info I'm from Malaysia and has been a fan of Ibanez guitars since i was a little kid. Just managed to own one three months back(after 33years of dreaming to have one). The model is some sort of a rare species I can say. It's the EXR170(also known as Ergodyne-X. If I'm not mistaken it's released in 2003 and no longer in production. As I am working permanently from 3.30pm to 11.30pm, I will straight away go to my storedio I called(Store room turned into mini studio)once I reached home and start playing and doing all the guitaring stuff there right until surise. Found dozens of useful info from this forum that will help me working on my guitar and want to thank everybody for posting them....Good Luck. Happy
spruilldog
#145 Posted : 6/16/2009 7:20:16 AM

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't have time to read through all these posts. Great site by the way. I have a 1989 Ibanez with the Edge tremolo. My band decided to tune down 1/2 step to help the vocalists which of course required a new set up. My tremolo has the "set screws" inside the tremolo posts and I can't seem to break them loose. I don't think I've had to make any action adjustments in 20 years because this system has been so stable. I actually damaged one of my tremolo posts trying to turn it anyway when I couldn't get the set screw to loosenWall . I've ordered a replacement from Rich Harris at Ibanez rules. Any advice on getting these apparently seized in place set screws loose? Can't apply but so much torgue with a 1.5 mm allen wrench. I actually twisted a wrench all the way around trying to break them and the screws still wouldn't loosen. Haven't tried any WD-40 yet because I'm waiting for my new tremolo posts before I try again. Also, does anyone know if the the new redesigned tremolo posts I ordered require this set screw? I hope not.
Pick_Pull_Ibanez
#146 Posted : 10/1/2009 7:44:18 PM

Megatron you did an amazing job on the tutorial to tuning a floating trem and I have thrown this bad mamma jamma back together and Im getting the last of it down and finished so I can start playing again so thank you (first time changing and tuning strings) so again thanks and keep at it man
stevovetsdead
#147 Posted : 1/7/2010 12:07:25 AM

I have a question, if anyone has a minute. This may have been covered before, so I'm sorry in advance if that's the case.

I'm attempting to block my tremolo, got the blocks cut almost to the correct size. However, at the size that it's at, the block going between the trem-block and the guitar (closest to the tail of the guitar) is being a bit of a pain to get in. There is a little lip at the opening of the cavity at the back, but the area that I would be resting the block is wider, thus I would need the block to be bigger so that it could properly hug the wood. It's starting to seem like the only thing I can do is fully remove the tremolo and then put it back in with the wood in place. Is there anything I can do besides this?

I've tried dropping the trem as far as it will go by easing string tension, and raising it as far as it could by lowering spring tension, but neither is sufficient to get the block in place.

Think I'm trying to figure out the whole process the hard way, but I'm just still too new at this DIY stuff. Please pity me
MaxOfMetal
#148 Posted : 1/7/2010 12:13:03 AM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
stevovetsdead wrote:
I have a question, if anyone has a minute. This may have been covered before, so I'm sorry in advance if that's the case.

I'm attempting to block my tremolo, got the blocks cut almost to the correct size. However, at the size that it's at, the block going between the trem-block and the guitar (closest to the tail of the guitar) is being a bit of a pain to get in. There is a little lip at the opening of the cavity at the back, but the area that I would be resting the block is wider, thus I would need the block to be bigger so that it could properly hug the wood. It's starting to seem like the only thing I can do is fully remove the tremolo and then put it back in with the wood in place. Is there anything I can do besides this?

I've tried dropping the trem as far as it will go by easing string tension, and raising it as far as it could by lowering spring tension, but neither is sufficient to get the block in place.

Think I'm trying to figure out the whole process the hard way, but I'm just still too new at this DIY stuff. Please pity me

I don't quite understand what you're saying, so bear with me.

This is how a fully blocked trem should look:

Note that the blocks were installed from the back of the guitar. Though this picture shows a "semi-permanent" block, the "rear block" is always put in the same way. For the forward block (the one that seems to be under the springs), should be split into two pieces, one inserted on either side of the middle spring, when the springs are either in the standard lll or \l/ pattern.

I think it would be best for you to include pictures of what you are incapable to do. There my be something you're missing or didn't notice that we can help point out to you.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
maiden666
#149 Posted : 2/19/2010 4:48:11 PM
maiden666

Man
hi i have a 2004 js100 and far as i know it has a edge 2 trem is that right and does my trem have them locking screws inside the trem posts as i need to raise the action on my bass side please,regardsHappy
Ibanez JS100 2004 in black
Marshall vs2000 avt100
MaxOfMetal
#150 Posted : 2/19/2010 4:54:04 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
maiden666 wrote:
hi i have a 2004 js100 and far as i know it has a edge 2 trem is that right and does my trem have them locking screws inside the trem posts as i need to raise the action on my bass side please,regardsHappy

Your trem shouldn't have locking posts, as that was mainly featured on the higher end trems. You should be free to simply turn the trem posts counter clockwise to raise them.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
nasticanasta
#151 Posted : 3/29/2010 11:06:03 PM
nasticanasta

Here's my question, will a Edge Pro, Edge Pro II, and Lo TRS, fit in my Edge III cavity?
Megatron
#152 Posted : 3/29/2010 11:12:59 PM
Megatron

Man
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Edge pro is the only one. The stud spacing and/or base plate of the others won't fit. The edge pro II is garbage.. just skip it.
Attention noobzors:
THE PICKUP GUIDE
THE TREM GUIDE

Yes that's mine.. and it IS real Mother of Pearl.. inlaid in Ebony!
Kvilvik
#153 Posted : 4/25/2010 4:25:19 PM
Kvilvik

Where can i get a Termol NO? :D
Steelrobbin
#155 Posted : 4/25/2010 4:28:47 PM
Steelrobbin

Man
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Kvilvik wrote:

A music store perhapsThink
'13 RG8WH
'97 SC620BGN
'97 RG7621BK
'94 TC530BK
'92 RT452AM
'92 RT240VS
'91 RBM1BU

MaxOfMetal
#154 Posted : 4/25/2010 5:36:38 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Kvilvik wrote:

The internet. Just Google "Tremol-No" and at least a dozen of online retailers will pop up.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
Megatron
#156 Posted : 5/14/2010 7:03:46 PM
Megatron

Man
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Alright just got done replacing broken images. Some I couldn't find replacements for, so I had to take them out. So much for reliable file hosting... douschers.
Attention noobzors:
THE PICKUP GUIDE
THE TREM GUIDE

Yes that's mine.. and it IS real Mother of Pearl.. inlaid in Ebony!
metalter
#157 Posted : 7/15/2010 1:11:18 AM

Hello, I was about to raise my action of the Edge pro on RG1570 but I heard that raising the action by rotating the trem posts can damage the knife edges since there happens fricton bewteen the knifes and trem posts. Is it so serious? I dont wanna damage my knife edges since i cant find them anywhere in my country. Whats the solution?

Anoher thing, in future if necessary, can i replace my Edge Pro with an original Floyd Rose directly, without any routing? thanks.