Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<6789>
MEGATRON'S FLOATING TREM GUIDE
Ouija
#158 Posted : 7/15/2010 1:51:36 PM
Ouija

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 40 post(s)
For doing small adjustments, I find diving the trem while turning the posts makes it easier, which suggests there is less force being applied to the posts. Also, it alters the angle of the knife edges against the post so that it could conceivably be said that the post isn't flattening the knife edge but actually sharpening it. However, if i'm doing a lot of turns on the posts i tend to just slacken the strings and pull the trem away from the posts with one hand while turning with the other..
metalter
#159 Posted : 8/3/2010 9:00:46 AM

I, being curious, opened the backplate of my guitar and had a look inside the tremolo block. What I found was, engraved Made In Japan on the block and a sticker which says: Licensed under Floyd Rose Pattern. It that alright? I always knew that Edge Pro trems are Ibanez's own design. I did not hear that these are licensed under floyd rose!! Is it alright with my tremolo?
Steelrobbin
#160 Posted : 8/3/2010 10:42:54 AM
Steelrobbin

Man
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
metalter wrote:
I, being curious, opened the backplate of my guitar and had a look inside the tremolo block. What I found was, engraved Made In Japan on the block and a sticker which says: Licensed under Floyd Rose Pattern. It that alright? I always knew that Edge Pro trems are Ibanez's own design. I did not hear that these are licensed under floyd rose!! Is it alright with my tremolo?

The reason it's licensed is because Floyd Rose owns the patent on floating bridges. If the design isn't very far from the original, it need to be approved by the patent holder.

so, yes it's supposed to be like that.
'13 RG8WH
'97 SC620BGN
'97 RG7621BK
'94 TC530BK
'92 RT452AM
'92 RT240VS
'91 RBM1BU

metalter
#161 Posted : 8/15/2010 12:31:25 AM

Suppose I never attach my tremolo arm to the bridge, that means I never use the tremolo. Does it still wear out the knife edges little by little or it stays perfect? There will be no friction between knife edges and trem post when not whammying,right?
VismundCygnus
#162 Posted : 12/18/2010 7:14:24 PM

Okay so I'm pretty sure my ibanez' just broken at this point. You say in your guide that the Low E should've gone flat after attempting to tune all six strings, but mine's bloody well nearly an octave lower.

It's totally unmanageable. Also, one of the holes in the wood into which one of the screws for the claw hook screws, has had its thread perish, so I can't screw in one side of my spring unit thing. NIGHTMARE. What the hell should I do??
Ouija
#163 Posted : 12/18/2010 8:19:19 PM
Ouija

Man
Take the screw out, put a matchstick in the hole and then put the screw back in. As you screw it in, it'll crush the matchstick out to the sides, filling in the hole and allowing the screw to get a grip again.

And if you can't figure out how to tune the trem while it's still floating, then block it and tune.

Put something appropriate under the back of the trem that wedges it at the right angle and then tighten the springs so they pull the trem down hard against whatevcer you wedged under there. Tune the guitar like you would a hardtail, lock the nut at the headstock, fine tune with the fine tuners and then start to loosen the springs until you hear the strings going flat and the trem starts lifting up and away from whatever you wedged under it. At this point remove the wedge/blocking device and slowly get the strings back in tune and the trem back down to the correct angle by tightening the springs slowly while looking at your tuner.
VismundCygnus
#164 Posted : 12/18/2010 9:05:57 PM

Ouija wrote:
Take the screw out, put a matchstick in the hole and then put the screw back in. As you screw it in, it'll crush the matchstick out to the sides, filling in the hole and allowing the screw to get a grip again.

And if you can't figure out how to tune the trem while it's still floating, then block it and tune.

Put something appropriate under the back of the trem that wedges it at the right angle and then tighten the springs so they pull the trem down hard against whatevcer you wedged under there. Tune the guitar like you would a hardtail, lock the nut at the headstock, fine tune with the fine tuners and then start to loosen the springs until you hear the strings going flat and the trem starts lifting up and away from whatever you wedged under it. At this point remove the wedge/blocking device and slowly get the strings back in tune and the trem back down to the correct angle by tightening the springs slowly while looking at your tuner.

Wow awesome i'll definately try this out. I thought all hope was lost. Thanks so much.
nasticanasta
#165 Posted : 12/24/2010 6:20:23 PM
nasticanasta

I've never liked the angled springs in the trem cavity...
richiej
#166 Posted : 8/17/2011 4:46:34 PM
richiej

Man
Awesome post. Great information here
kayzen2011
#167 Posted : 12/24/2011 10:02:47 PM

Thank you guys for the Guide. I did read all of it.. I have one question.. Can anyone tell me what is the default setup from Ibanez for Edge III Trem? I took mine to the local guitar store and they messed it up and i am cheesed with them and they say its not worth spending time on it..after having some heated conversation I left on the note that I will do it myself .

So now my question is HOW can i achieve the factory setup on a Ibanez GRGA42TQA Edge III Trem?? if someone can guide me with more specific details on how to go about the setup I would really appreciate..

PS: Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year .. Keep Rockin!!

Cheers
Hexacutioner
#168 Posted : 8/27/2012 3:24:14 AM
Hexacutioner

Just wanted to thank Megatron for the trem guide..... i been adjusting my edge trem as if it was a Floyd keeping the top parallel to the body adjusted it the way u have here and makes a werld a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ferraiuolo
#169 Posted : 10/10/2012 11:02:27 AM

[quote=Megatron;357009]MEGATRON'S FLOATING TREM GUIDE

Hi, I'm learning to play and just bought a JS100. After read this post I think my bridge needs adjustment. Here is a photo:

Ouija
#170 Posted : 10/10/2012 4:40:45 PM
Ouija

Man
1 user thanked Ouija for this useful post.
ferraiuolo on 10/10/2012(UTC)
ferraiuolo
#171 Posted : 10/10/2012 4:56:27 PM

Thanks Ouija, I'll do that with the instructions of this topic. Cheers from Brazil!

Originally Posted by: Ouija Go to Quoted Post
Needs pulling back a little.

Jaqomipe
#172 Posted : 1/25/2013 10:03:29 AM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now.

Clap Clap Clap
aion accounts
nancyhao
#173 Posted : 1/28/2013 1:05:50 AM

I think your topic is very fantastic and can attract more people to join in and enjoy themselves more better.

runescape gold
Processedtoast
#174 Posted : 6/19/2013 2:15:22 AM

This is a great faqDoh . I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a fat 6 tremolo?Think If so would anyone have a similar guide?
jovima69
#176 Posted : 9/2/2013 6:39:00 PM

How often should an Edge tremolo be disassembled for cleaning/lubing? I just bought a used JS1000 (minty), and I haven't played with a "floyd" type of tremolo since the 90's. Thanks for the killer primer on these tremolos! Tons of great info!
jovima69
#177 Posted : 9/8/2013 8:36:22 PM

Thanks for this guide. Disassembled my tremolo, cleaned/lubed, put back together. Tuned and ready for shred!
JapHappy
#178 Posted : 10/25/2013 9:50:59 AM

I just bought a 2013 Prestige, a true dream machine. I'm not getting much info from the Instruction manual in regards to
Adjusting the string hight at the tremolo end. The strings seem to be high at the 24th fret.

Does the spring tension wheel on the back have any impact on the string hight at the tremolo system ?

Why would I want to increase the spring tension ? It came with the tension all the way down to the lowest setting, why is that ?
All this talk of "shims" is a little freaky for a factory fresh guitar.

What would happen if I turned that thumb wheel to the middle or the full tension?

Maybe over time the springs would require more tension... I really don't want to take it apart to measure all the tolerances.
And risk messing up the factory settings.. I trust that Ibanez set it up good at the factory.

The neck is straight. I restrung it with E.B. Nickel wound .009 because the stock strings seemed a lot different than these.

I have a lot of electric Guitars , PRS, Strats - with tremolo systems, but nothing like this one.
The tremolo bar has that plastic "o" ring and there is play in the bar no matter how hard I try to finger tighten it down also.

I once heard that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask..

Thanks, sincerely. JapHappy