Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<789
MEGATRON'S FLOATING TREM GUIDE
Bill@Ibanez
#179 Posted : 10/25/2013 12:55:58 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 398 time(s) in 389 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JapHappy Go to Quoted Post
I just bought a 2013 Prestige, a true dream machine. I'm not getting much info from the Instruction manual in regards to
Adjusting the string hight at the tremolo end. The strings seem to be high at the 24th fret.

Does the spring tension wheel on the back have any impact on the string hight at the tremolo system ?

Why would I want to increase the spring tension ? It came with the tension all the way down to the lowest setting, why is that ?
All this talk of "shims" is a little freaky for a factory fresh guitar.

What would happen if I turned that thumb wheel to the middle or the full tension?

Maybe over time the springs would require more tension... I really don't want to take it apart to measure all the tolerances.
And risk messing up the factory settings.. I trust that Ibanez set it up good at the factory.

The neck is straight. I restrung it with E.B. Nickel wound .009 because the stock strings seemed a lot different than these.

I have a lot of electric Guitars , PRS, Strats - with tremolo systems, but nothing like this one.
The tremolo bar has that plastic "o" ring and there is play in the bar no matter how hard I try to finger tighten it down also.

I once heard that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask..

Thanks, sincerely. JapHappy

congrats on the new axe!

This guide goes over the main points in adjusting the tremolo system including the tremolo height. I would read this guide and any other "Floating tremolo Guides" you can find on the internet to help understand it more. Also, here is a link to the 2013 Prestige manual: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/...uitars/prestige2013.pdf
It looks like the English section starts on page 35. The tremolo you have looks to be on page 49.

The spring tension is supposed to equally match the tension of your strings to balance out the tremolo. If this is not the case, you will have tuning problems. Full floating tremolo systems are a bit finicky in general and I urge you to keep learning to understand the system and how to adjust it. I know it personally took me a while and a good amount of attempts to really get the hang of it.

The neck shim thing shouldn't need to be done to your new prestige guitar, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Lastly, the trem arm "play" has been a common occurrence with these tremolo systems. The play in the arm socket shouldn't affect the sound you get from the guitar, but it does bother people. Some have wrapped tape around the bottom part of the arm to fill the gap left in the socket, and I believe that would be the best way to remedy that. Otherwise, that play is inherit in its design.

hope this helps,
-Bill
#181 Posted : 1/14/2014 2:15:39 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.
#182 Posted : 6/23/2014 9:44:43 AM
Groups:
Message was deleted by a Moderator.
aliensporebomb
#183 Posted : 9/18/2014 3:33:54 PM
aliensporebomb

Groups: Member
Man
A great guide and one thing I'll add from my own experience: if you buy a used guitar it really pays to check out the condition of the trem. I recently found that the three allen screws that keep the locking nut locked were really worn from age on a guitar I'd bought second hand. I brought the best of the screws to my local hardware store, replaced them and the tuning stability increased very noticeably. It appears the examples at my hardware store might have been 1-2 threads longer so it just sort of dug in farther. Food for thought.

So stuff wears out over time and it pays to keep things maintained especially if you get a guitar and you don't know how well it's been maintained over time.
mlaren
#184 Posted : 6/3/2015 8:49:05 PM
mlaren

Man
Hey Megatron! Glad I found your post on the edge bridge. If you look at my guitar avatar, can you identify which edge bridge i have? It never had the tremolo arm and I need to replace it. I bought this guitar second hand. The owner said it was an ibanez (what model) with a different neck (maybe schecter neck). I would like to put an original neck on it, too. Any thoughts out there. My first forum post. Glad to be a part of the circle. Thanks
Bill@Ibanez
#185 Posted : 6/4/2015 12:55:42 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 398 time(s) in 389 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mlaren Go to Quoted Post
Hey Megatron! Glad I found your post on the edge bridge. If you look at my guitar avatar, can you identify which edge bridge i have? It never had the tremolo arm and I need to replace it. I bought this guitar second hand. The owner said it was an ibanez (what model) with a different neck (maybe schecter neck). I would like to put an original neck on it, too. Any thoughts out there. My first forum post. Glad to be a part of the circle. Thanks

Hello mlaren,

The picture in your avatar is too small and dark to get a good ID on that bridge. Could you post some larger pictures? Also, the serial number should give us a good idea of what year it was from.

-Bill
PinkFloydRose53
#186 Posted : 1/24/2016 5:28:25 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I own a 93 rg270. It is a gem. I won't get into it because I will keep you here all day. LOL! Anyway, it's equipped with an original Floyd rose 1000 series. (just not made in Germany). It had 10 gauge strings on it when I bought it. I like 10's anyway.So I restrung it and it was such a mission to get her tuned, I decided to put a set of 9's and presto! Just perfect. Can't bang her out tune if you held a gun to my head.LOL> Why is that? I guess I need more patience?? Any opinions would be appreciated.Cool