Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
EGEN wiring Diagram
ABusLux
#23 Posted : 3/22/2010 7:25:55 AM
ABusLux

Groups: Member
Thanks for your answer Ouija. I know the "to bridge" cable, but there are those three cables coming to the same horizontal black line and that makes the diagram confusing. I saw other simpler diagrams of Ibanez guitars and I noticed that the leftmost terminal gets connected to the side of the pot, in order to ground it. If I now connect that terminal to the side, that will also ground the selector (the second black cable and the grey cable), so that should work. Unless one of Ibanez's staff enlightens us with different guidance. I will do this next weekend and report back.

By the way, if somebody tries this wiring, I recommend to first measure the height of the pot and the depth of the cavity in the guitar. It may be that you will have to solder some of those wires on the side of the pot, and not on top of it as in the diagram (unless you want to remove some wood form the guitar's body and risk having a hole through it Naughty)

After playing with the guitar (an RG550DX) last night, I can tell that it was a good decision to do this mod. It gives you far, far more flexibility when looking for a particular sound. I was never before able to nail a S.R.V. sound the way I could last night with the humbuckers (logically, otherwise)

Next project will be to set up my S5470f with 3 humbuckers (minibucker in the middle position) and a coil-tap for all 3 via a push/pull pot...
guitarest99
#24 Posted : 3/22/2010 9:21:15 AM
guitarest99

any actual sound bites of the different tones with this new pup config? I am all about tone in my more mature years (read as old) lol.

OK before I get flamed and thrown to the corner for being a old person; I just cant listen to Dragon force. The music is just not my liking at all. I even watched the video with Li and where he talks abut the different tones but no examples of a clean guitar played. Also is this a MIJ guitar, as cheap as it is I would tend to think it is not. I am not one to grab signature guitars but with all this tonal possibilities hopefully Ibanez (or even a member here) might post a sound byte or video with all the tonal possibilities of this pup configuration.
The most powerful forces in American life, are forces that are not voted in and out of office every two or four years. And it represents a belief that Americans must force that reckoning by themselves. No politician will do it for them. Those instincts are exactly right, and we’ve never needed them more than today.

guitarest99
#25 Posted : 3/22/2010 11:46:03 AM
guitarest99

Any one?
The most powerful forces in American life, are forces that are not voted in and out of office every two or four years. And it represents a belief that Americans must force that reckoning by themselves. No politician will do it for them. Those instincts are exactly right, and we’ve never needed them more than today.

Matthew@ibanez
#26 Posted : 3/22/2010 12:25:22 PM
Matthew@ibanez

Groups: Moderator
Man
Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 67 post(s)
guitarest99
#27 Posted : 3/22/2010 12:46:33 PM
guitarest99

thank you, I honestly tried to listen to their material and I did a few tunes. No way you can hear any tonal differences in his playing.

Matthew@ibanez
#28 Posted : 3/22/2010 1:13:31 PM
Matthew@ibanez

Groups: Moderator
Man
Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 67 post(s)
guitarest99
#29 Posted : 3/22/2010 3:29:02 PM
guitarest99

Just clicked on the link thanks so is it MII or MIJ?

guitarest99
#30 Posted : 3/22/2010 3:34:00 PM
guitarest99

OK watched it and honestly yall should get on these people posting videos, if that cant tune a guitar ( A string is out) and cant really play it doesn't do Iby any good.... lol

He only went through on set of 5 without popping the second series and the language barrier sucks also, thanks Guys.

So is it MIJ or MII?

Tom@Ibanez
#31 Posted : 3/22/2010 3:59:38 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Medals: Medal of Awesomeness: Awarded to the most righteous dude on the planet.

Groups: Administration
Man
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 40 post(s)
guitarest99
#32 Posted : 3/22/2010 4:01:25 PM
guitarest99

Tom@Ibanez wrote:
And he did a real brutal job on what I assumed was little wing.

ya think.................... lol

spudler
#33 Posted : 3/24/2010 7:53:45 PM
spudler

Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ya this is a MIJ guitar.It's for the EGEN18 TVF purpleish guitar Herman Li uses. I don't call almost $3,000 asking price cheap. I have quite a few links to dragonforce stuff. I am sure I can find something not causing the fingerboard to smoke so you can get a better idea of the tone. This actually wasn't a question when I started for a mod I was curious as to how the Guitar was wired with the exact same PU's. I am not sure if you can do this mod with normal PU's because the ones listed are 4 wire where I believe most stock pu's are 3 wire. I am attempting to build my own Model using these pu's, a custom body, A MIJ Wizard neck, and either a Edge Pro or a ZR trem. I am really leaning heavy towards ZR trem at this point.
http://shredguitarschool.com
http://shredguitarschoolcommunity.com
for anything to do with playing guitar at shred speed, or just want to get to the next level check it out.
1994 RG 5XX customized
2006 RG Smokineleton(Customized Finish,Inlays)
MFX Supermodels Metal/Rock Series
Digitech GNX4 With above Upgrade
Alesis M-EQ 230
Behringer CX3400 X-0ver
2 Peavey CS-800's bridged For LF
Peavey CS-400 For HF
2 15" PA CABS W/
2 @ 5 1/4 mids and
1" Horns in each.
guitarest99
#34 Posted : 3/24/2010 9:20:15 PM
guitarest99

3 grand, don't know where your getting your prices. The thing isn't even 1000; its more like 800 USD

AMS

Is there a different version?

Ouija
#35 Posted : 3/24/2010 9:42:01 PM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
That's the budget EGEN8. Ibanez always does a 'cheap as chips' budget version of their signature models for the people who can't afford the real deal (such as the JS100 or the cheap Korean JEM).
guitarest99
#36 Posted : 3/24/2010 9:48:06 PM
guitarest99

I did a search on the net (Google) and this is the only one available. So has the better one shipped yet? Sweet water only has this one and others only have this one. This is also why I asked if it was MIJ; due to the real inexpensive price.

Ouch you called my JEM a cheap Korean Guitar, I was told by our Mods here thats a MIJ guitar all the way.

MaxOfMetal
#37 Posted : 3/24/2010 10:00:19 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
guitarest99 wrote:
I did a search on the net (Google) and this is the only one available. So has the better one shipped yet? Sweet water only has this one and others only have this one. This is also why I asked if it was MIJ; due to the real inexpensive price.

Ouch you called my JEM a cheap Korean Guitar, I was told by our Mods here thats a MIJ guitar all the way.

He's referring to the old JEM Jr. and JEM555, not the JEM505 you're getting.

As for the MIJ EGEN18, it's been for sale for about a year or two now:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGEN18TVF/
http://www.instrumentpro...BAEGEN18?source=froogle
http://www.guitarcenter....r-104921994-i1426737.gc
http://guitars.musicians...ctric-Guitar?sku=500160
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
guitarest99
#38 Posted : 3/24/2010 10:02:34 PM
guitarest99

Thanks Max and I did not know about the 3 grand Egen. Wow until I saw your post Max I was getting pissed by the minute. I jumped over to the Jem Forum and read through 12 pages of a 18 page thread about the 505 and it all said good gtr and MIJ....

Thanks Bud

MaxOfMetal
#39 Posted : 3/24/2010 10:57:12 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
guitarest99 wrote:
Thanks Max and I did not know about the 3 grand Egen. Wow until I saw your post Max I was getting pissed by the minute. I jumped over to the Jem Forum and read through 12 pages of a 18 page thread about the 505 and it all said good gtr and MIJ....

Thanks Bud

Hahaha, happy to put you at ease. :)
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
spudler
#40 Posted : 3/25/2010 12:43:49 AM
spudler

Man
BTW the PU selection diagrahm for the "Budget" Egen or EGEN8 is the very first Schematic, I think the second post or so.It is equiped with V series PU's that have 3 wire leads... The one I was looking for and recieved on post #10 (if you have read from beginning) is for the EGEN18 it has the 4 wire classified pu's (not listed in any of the product catalogs) I had just mentioned how this budget EGEN was Possibly going to get people confused. I was right I wonder now how many people have bought the egen8 and is totally pistol ed because it is no where near what the egen18 is in quality and sound. Wait till some one tries one of herman signature trem actuions and ends up with the trem in their hand or a guitar on the floor. lol
I just knew the name was way to easy to confuse. they should of called it what it is EGEN budget model
for anything to do with playing guitar at shred speed, or just want to get to the next level check it out.
1994 RG 5XX customized
Alesis M-EQ 230
Behringer CX3400 X-0ver
Peavey CS-400 For HF
2 15" PA CABS W/
2 @ 5 1/4 mids and
1" Horns in each.
MaxOfMetal
#41 Posted : 3/25/2010 1:10:33 AM
MaxOfMetal

Man
spudler wrote:
BTW the PU selection diagrahm for the "Budget" Egen or EGEN8 is the very first Schematic, I think the second post or so.It is equiped with V series PU's that have 3 wire leads... The one I was looking for and recieved on post #10 (if you have read from beginning) is for the EGEN18 it has the 4 wire classified pu's (not listed in any of the product catalogs) I had just mentioned how this budget EGEN was Possibly going to get people confused. I was right I wonder now how many people have bought the egen8 and is totally pistol ed because it is no where near what the egen18 is in quality and sound. Wait till some one tries one of herman signature trem actuions and ends up with the trem in their hand or a guitar on the floor. lol
I just knew the name was way to easy to confuse. they should of called it what it is EGEN budget model

Honestly, anyone dumb enough to mistake the two, has whatever "product issues" coming to them. Last time I checked Ibanez had a detailed website with color pictures of each model, with the specs listed.

The buyer needs to inform themselves. It's their responsibility.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
spudler
#42 Posted : 3/25/2010 1:19:37 AM
spudler

Man
well we just seen a example of confusion. a few posts ago. It is about the 4th one I have encountered on the forums I view, And I could see someone who has heard of the EGEN, before the Budget model was realeased and thinks wow it must be a special sale or something and buy's it.
I am mistaken about the schematic on post 2. I am not sure what model that is. The EGEN8 uses V series pu's, the schematic shows Duoblast 4 wire PU's
I just know for a fact that the majority of consumers are not that gifted when it comes to common sense and aquiring all the info before making purchases. Why do ya think the "do not use when" lists have such crazy things like "dont use hair dryer while showering" or the little packs of dessicant actually has to say DO NOT EAT. I am sure you have some crazy storys dealing with customers and some of the wackiest thing they do.
1994 RG 5XX customized
Alesis M-EQ 230
Behringer CX3400 X-0ver
Peavey CS-400 For HF
2 15" PA CABS W/
2 @ 5 1/4 mids and
1" Horns in each.