Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Why do you play bass?
slidewaysracing
#1 Posted : 8/17/2011 12:05:05 AM

Groups: Member
Curiosity wins. Why do you play bass? What other instruments to you play? What is your primary instrument?

Most of the people I've asked have essentially said that they play bass because it's the only way they could play with a band -- bass players are more in demand than guitar players. But a clerk at GC commented once when I was buying a bass DVD that the world needs more bass players who are bassists, not guitarists who play bass with the same phrasing, etc. as if it was a guitar. I thought that was a very enlightened statement.

I currently don’t play any other instruments, although guitar and banjo are on the list.

I play bass, rather than guitar, because I prefer the lower tones, and the fact that it's part of the rhythm - harmony AND rhythm! And not being the center of attention doesn't bother me at all, and I like being "different".

I started on guitar, but for a variety of reasons I didn’t make much progress. Then I discovered the bass. I NEED to play music, and I thought I might find the bass easier than a guitar since typically you only play one note at a time (which my brain is wired for from my years playing violin & viola a long time ago).

So I play bass because I need to make music, I like the low tone, and I love grooving with the rhythm.

So, why do you play bass?
JFDI!

2004 BTB405QM Trans Black
akustikgitar
#2 Posted : 8/17/2011 5:40:51 PM
akustikgitar

Man
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I too, started playing guitar before discovering how amazingly cool the bass guitar is. I actually still play guitar and am also trying to learn to play mandolin.

I originally took up bass to help me learn to play guitar better, but fell in love with the instrument, so that now I actually prefer bass to guitar. Something about being part of creating a groove appeals to me. I like how the bass fills an important bridge role between the guitars and drums. Supporting the harmony while keeping the beat. Doesn't get much better than that. I do enjoy the low end as well.

Playing bass has also benefitted my guitar playing. I have found it easier to learn the notes on the fretboard of a 4-string bass than on a 6-string guitar. Knowledge of the fretboard notes has been a huge help for building grooves that effectively harmonize the song. And this bass fretboard knowledge has made it easier to learn the guitar fretboard too.

I play bass and guitar with my church's worship team about 3-4 Sundays a month. Since we have a bass player who "got there first", I'm kind of the backup bass player, so I get to play bass once or twice a month, and I play guitar when I'm not playing bass. Unfortunately, we don't often have a drummer. But just recently I got to play with a real solid drummer. That was a fantastic experience working together to set the groove.

For my next bass adventure I'd like to learn how to play fretless bass guitar. I'd also like to build another project bass (I built my 5-string from a Carvin kit), this time a fretless, and am considering buying a Jazz bass body (swamp ash) and neck (unlined fretless, maple with ebony fretboard) from Warmoth. I'm also looking around at pawn shops to see if I can find any good project basses.

I do really love my Ibanez BTB570FM 4-string as well. A great looking sweet playing bass.
Tracy Dae
#3 Posted : 8/21/2011 12:26:48 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 105 post(s)
slidewaysracing wrote:
Curiosity wins. Why do you play bass? What other instruments to you play? What is your primary instrument?

Guitar is my primary instrument. For me bass is sort of an extension. I play a short persons bass (a modified Univox Hi-Flyer bass) - because I am a small person.

I have given serious thought to getting one of the GIO small scale basses - but I need to try one out first. It would be great if Ibanez offered a standard (non-GIO) small scale SR bass.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
slidewaysracing
#4 Posted : 8/21/2011 8:34:19 PM

That burst is really PRETTY!Drool Drool
JFDI!

2004 BTB405QM Trans Black
enlgish4bw
#5 Posted : 8/21/2011 8:40:43 PM
enlgish4bw

Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Why do I play bass? Cuz the full-time bass player in our church band needs a week off every month. LOL
But I also love it. Totally different dynamics to guitar playing. Bass is a completely separate animal.
Tracy Dae
#6 Posted : 8/21/2011 10:05:05 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
enlgish4bw wrote:
Me with my mint-green ATK...

Wow! A short scale ATK would be too awesome, especially in really girly girl colors. Ha ha ha

enlgish4bw
#7 Posted : 8/21/2011 10:24:08 PM
enlgish4bw

Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
haha... yeah my ATK310 is kinda juvenile looking to begin with. Not girly though. Have you picked up an ATK200? They're heavy, but not too big.
Tracy Dae
#8 Posted : 8/21/2011 10:30:53 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
enlgish4bw wrote:
Have you picked up an ATK200? They're heavy, but not too big.

I've never held one - but I've heard them and always like the way they sound and look..

sitruc_btb
#9 Posted : 9/5/2011 10:09:43 PM

A few of my buddies wanted to start a band, but they didn't have a bassist. Well, someone asked them to play for our eighth grade graduation. I told them id play bass. The rest is history.
I started out using a pick, and as I practiced and got better, the front man, who was taking guitar lessons at the time, told me some bassists use their fingers. Aha! He would also write out scales and arpeggios for me to practice. I just stuck with it. I can't really explain, but there's just something totally rad about playing bass. Perhaps its the funky grooves you can dish out, or the stomach rumbling low tones. Anywho, I love my bass. I have a btb405 with the wicked awesome blue finish.
CBusBass
#10 Posted : 1/25/2012 8:22:26 PM
CBusBass

I played guitar many years, never serious or in a band, just for fun. I cut my left index finger (fretting hand) pretty bad cutting the tendon on the main knuckle and cannot bend it too good to hit that F, C and other chords, so I bought a 2004 Pro-Line 4 string Warwick bass and fell in love with Bass. I wish I had started the bass from the start. This helped me get serious and now I play in a band and gig out and have alot of fun. I do play the bass with both my fingers and I use a pick happily and glad I use to play guitar so I know how to use a pick. I use a pick on the harder rock songs with the machine gun style bass lines Ex. Motley Crew Wild Side. I have read a lot about Bass players using a pick, playing it like a guitar, etc... The following gents use a pick on BASS: Paul McCartney (Beatles), Chris Squire (YES), Duff (GNR), and even John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin plays a pick on Whole Lotta Love. Some people have physical limitations so they have to use a pick. As long as you’re having fun, that’s all that matters, I use my fingers and a pick, and I feel it’s a good thing to know how to do both. I have an Ibanez BTB 300BKF.
fang
#11 Posted : 1/25/2012 11:34:24 PM

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Tracy: My bass is shorter than yours...

Schadenfreudian
#12 Posted : 1/30/2012 7:36:29 PM

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Started off on bass: Fender J-bass. Loved the bone-piercing POWER and RUMBLE. Still do. Shifted over to a 5-string fretless many years ago, but sold it about a dozen years after that. Just recently bought an SX Lake Placid blue 4-string fretless...it actually feels like my old Fender J-bass, obviously with the exception of frets. My main focus now is guitars, and I own a couple of Ibanez...jazz, composition, arranging.

But I still love that bass power.
Sliide90027
#13 Posted : 5/8/2015 7:54:30 PM

My Dad is a DBV player with a Chubby Jackson 5 String.

He and my Grandfather, a Drummer, had a Jazz throwdown. One day when the piano player was not available they gave a 14 Year-old albino twin his first paying gig there in Beaumont. That kid was Edgar Winter.

My Dad playing tones that inspired me to want to do that too.

As the Director of the First Religious Choir broadcast around the world on a regular basis (when Ted Turner had not yet something to put on his satellite bandwidth) he did not inspire me to be a singer.