Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Preamp replacement
olhobbler
#1 Posted : 11/9/2011 7:57:42 PM
olhobbler

Groups: Member

As i am sure everyone knows, you will be having issues with your acoustic preamp. Do the China fishman replacements work ok?...i noticed the original piezo on my guitar is ribbon thin, the replacement looks like thicker wire...how do you return to original height....Any advice would be helpful....
Tom@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 11/9/2011 8:03:07 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Medals: Medal of Awesomeness: Awarded to the most righteous dude on the planet.

Groups: Administration
Man
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I'm a little fuzzy on the first part of your question. If possible, please try to clarify which model guitar and which model pre-amp(s) you are referring to.

As for the saddle height, you would need to remove it and sand the bottom to bring it back down if your under saddle pickup had a larger depth.
olhobbler
#3 Posted : 11/9/2011 8:28:30 PM
olhobbler

hello, its a AEf18 acoustic electric...my eq is a 4 band Aeq ssr, no tuner, but has phase...so older one..have you ever taken on a replacment job?
Tom@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 11/14/2011 5:11:13 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Man
Replacing these specific units with the same thing is generally an easy task. It's just a few plug-harnesses and removing some screws.

Assuming this is the one you're referring to:

The problem here is that this model has been discontinued for a little bit of time and we don't have a direct replacement.

You might be able to find one aftermarket, but going with something else might prove troublesome, as if the size isn't the same, re-routing the cavity would be a pretty big annoyance and could require a good deal of $$ for the alteration.

RJR
#5 Posted : 11/26/2011 11:03:47 PM

Tom,
I have a similar issue. Have an AEF30 which I recently bought used. It has the SSR EQ and the thin ribbon cable going to the under-saddle pickup (same as olhobbler described in his post above). Seller told me he believed it was the pickup that was bad, and not the EQ. Can you give me any guidance on how I can troubleshoot between the two, and where I might be able to get a replacement pickup to try? Curious if the sonicore or other types of replacements I see on line can be made to work - I don't see anything on eBay or elsewhere with the thin ribbon cable & two-pin connector. Guidance is appreciated.
Tom@Ibanez
#6 Posted : 11/28/2011 5:02:04 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Man
You'd have to get the pickup hooked up to tester to know for sure if it was the pickup that was faulty on it. If there's a local luthier in your area, he might have something to test it. Second step would be to check the jack itself. You always want to check the cheap components before buying the big guys.

What's the serial number on the AEF30? I want to double check the components to see whats available, and what can be interchanged for you if we can figure out what's bugging it.

RJR
#7 Posted : 11/29/2011 1:50:46 AM

Thanks Tom, Here's the specific info on the guitar I'm working with. The model is AEF30-TVS-OP-04, and the serial number is E 04075575. The eq I have is basically the same as you pictured above in post #4, with the exception that it appears yours is molded to fit on a curved portion of the side of the guitar, while mine is flat. Aside from that the eq looks the same. Haven't pulled the jack yet to verify that, but thanks for the reminder. When I plug the guitar into an amp, I can get a faint output, but only with the volume maxed out. Based on some other messages I've seen about SST EQ's, it sounds like the EQ is the problem, was just hoping that with the SSR I might luck out & find it to be just the piezo element.
Tom@Ibanez
#8 Posted : 11/29/2011 3:02:58 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Man
If it's minimal output, it might be something as simple as the saddle not contacting properly with the pickup. Have you taken it out and eyeballed the bottom of the saddle?

Easiest route is usually taking it, putting it on something flat (I use a textbook) and holding it up to the light. If any light sneaks thru the bottom, you know it's not flush and need to sand it some.

You'd also have to look at the saddle from the side to ensure that it isn't angled either.

Everything should be even to get 100% uniform contact across your pickup.

I'll do some digging on your parts when I get a couple minutes later today. Hopefully you don't mind a small wait. If possible, I'd check that saddle in the meantime.
RJR
#9 Posted : 11/29/2011 4:45:36 PM

Thanks Tom, appreciate all the help!
Tom@Ibanez
#10 Posted : 11/30/2011 7:13:20 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Man
Your EQ is still in production:

5AEQ27F- List price $124.99.

We are out of stock, but will have some coming in right at the end of the year

The pickup is still available as well:

5APU10F- List Price $86.00

(5APU10H will also work as a replacement. These are discontinued, but I've seen them online.)

Differing/High prices would mean its a good idea to try to have someone, if not yourself, evaluate each component to figure out what the issue is. I'd hate to see you go for the wrong part or end up spending more than you need to.