Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Replacement tuning machine for AS73
teleman55
#1 Posted : 12/17/2012 6:40:55 AM

Groups: Member
My AS73L got dropped and one of the tuning machines broke. I'm fine with the stock tuners and finding one replacement (new or used) would be great. However,it's even hard to find a new replacement set. I'll throw whatever in there if I have to but like to have them all the same. Anybody know a good source for Ibanez parts. or, what's a good replacement set that is drop in, screw holes match, etc. And reasonably affordable?
Iceman6937
#2 Posted : 12/17/2012 12:45:07 PM
Iceman6937

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Some Gotohs should be a direct drop in. I put the 510's in my AS103. Check out Stew-Mac:

http://www.stewmac.com/s...n/gotoh%20tuners?pq=1211
Tracy Dae
#3 Posted : 12/17/2012 4:45:30 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teleman55 Go to Quoted Post
I'm fine with the stock tuners and finding one replacement (new or used) would be great. However,it's even hard to find a new replacement set.

Not really. The pic below is a link to a drop-in replacement set.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
teleman55
#4 Posted : 12/19/2012 4:51:10 AM

Thanks. Next I've got to do something with the jack. When it fell, the patch cord end caused the jack to bend into the wood on one side. It still functions but I gotta do something. I figure the wood edge is a bit damaged. I can either reinforce the wood with some kind of glue or a ring of some sort or...? (any ideas?) or put in a new jack with a plate on the outside, bit it would have to have the right curve.
Tracy Dae
#5 Posted : 12/19/2012 10:58:44 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
...or put in a new jack with a plate on the outside, bit it would have to have the right curve.

Use a metal plate. You will be able to bend the metal plate enough to match the curvature of the guitar body. I've done this myself for folks who have broken the wood around the output jack. It works very well as long as not too much wood was broken - and it conceals the fact that the wood was ever broken.

teleman55
#6 Posted : 12/20/2012 1:20:30 AM

Originally Posted by: Tracy Dae Go to Quoted Post
...or put in a new jack with a plate on the outside, bit it would have to have the right curve.

Use a metal plate. You will be able to bend the metal plate enough to match the curvature of the guitar body. I've done this myself for folks who have broken the wood around the output jack. It works very well as long as not too much wood was broken - and it conceals the fact that the wood was ever broken.

Thanks Tracy. Hey, you didn't have any problems with the plate screws going into the thin wood of a semihollow and holding did you? I imagine they are longer than the wood is thick so go all the way through. Also, since you've done this, what kind of plate worked best for this type of guitar (AS73)...square, football or round?
Hedgehog
#11 Posted : 12/20/2012 10:58:01 AM
Hedgehog

Man
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Another slightly more complicated method. Find a thin wall metal tube that will fit over the jack. Cut the tube to just fit the thickness of the wood where the jack was installed. Open up the hole JUST enough for the thin wall tube to fit and glue in place with a nice hard setting glue. This is just a sleeve to straighten up and reinforce the original hole. It should disapear to look stock when finished. You'd have a nice repair and a nice solid hole to tighten the jack against without fear o damaging the guitar wood.
Michael
1 user thanked Hedgehog for this useful post.
teleman55 on 12/24/2012(UTC)
Dick Foster
#12 Posted : 12/20/2012 3:53:57 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Or put a shoulder washer under it. They're common and you can probably find one for a 1/4 phone jack at Radio Shack or other electronics parts outlet. They come in natural nylon (can be dyed any color), black plastic and even hard black fiber.
1 user thanked Dick Foster for this useful post.
Tracy Dae
#7 Posted : 12/21/2012 4:05:19 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
...since you've done this, what kind of plate worked best for this type of guitar (AS73)...square, football or round?

Square. Like this one.

The thinner semi-hollow body guitars like the AS have enough kerfing in the correct area for the screws to bite into. After drilling the holes, glue a piece of a toothpick into the holes before you install the screws.

1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
Dick Foster
#10 Posted : 12/22/2012 5:43:00 PM
Dick Foster

Is the the part you're using Tracy?

http://www.reproguitarparts.com/#!/~/product/category=1385252&id=5701659

It's just another source for it. I didn't compare the prices but more is usually mo betta.

...since you've done this, what kind of plate worked best for this type of guitar (AS73)...square, football or round?

Square. Like this one.

The thinner semi-hollow body guitars like the AS have enough kerfing in the correct area for the screws to bite into. After drilling the holes, glue a piece of a toothpick into the holes before you install the screws.

teleman55
#8 Posted : 12/27/2012 2:03:00 AM

Square. Like this one.

Hi. Got one more question. Will metal or plastic work equally well (on a semihollow)?
Thanks.
Dick Foster
#9 Posted : 12/27/2012 4:40:56 PM
Dick Foster

That would depend on properties of the plastic used. Something soft and pliable would give out in short order. I think metal would be the safer choice here.
Do you have a pic of the damage you could post up? If there is little damage and it's just around the hole, you could maybe get away with some common shoulder/isolation washers which come in nylon plastic or the harder and more durable ones made of fiber. Or you could even replace the entire jack with something more substantial that comes with the hardware like this one.

http://www.parts-express...&Partnumber=090-972

Hedgehog
#13 Posted : 12/27/2012 5:54:49 PM
Hedgehog

Man
fEW SEEM TO BE WILLING TO ALTER THE STOCK LOOKS OF THEIR GUITAR, JUST LOOK A THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO INSTALL A BIGSBY OR A DIFFERENT TAILPIECE .... Sorry the cap lock was on and I'm to lazy to retype..... the debate over a few small drilled holes goes on and on. I honestly believe my solution would be better, if trouble popped up you can still use the plate with all the extra holes. I could do this in minutes, fishing the jack back in the hole would take longer to accomplish.

Michael
Michael
Dick Foster
#15 Posted : 12/27/2012 6:17:20 PM
Dick Foster

Unless and until he puts up a pic showing the damage it would be difficult for anyone to determine what the best fix would be. I can't tell from the info given but it sounds like it is relatively minor.
Tracy Dae
#14 Posted : 12/27/2012 7:10:57 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Originally Posted by: Hedgehog Go to Quoted Post
Few seem to be willing to alter the stock looks of the guitar...

I certainly understand that. More so for the higher end models than the lower end models though. If a jack plate is installed properly, it looks totally stock. Like it was meant to be that way in the first place. That is the feedback folks have given me anyways.

Hedgehog
#16 Posted : 12/28/2012 12:15:06 AM
Hedgehog

Man
Tracy - Yes I can see where it would look stock, no arguement there. I've looked at a few Pawn shop bargans with moderate to SERIOUS jack area damage and have thought about buyig for a steal and repairing the damage with one of those plates. My My the repairs I've and I'm sure most) have seen, one beautiful guitar with this sort of damage was repaired with garilla glue ...... LOTS of Garilla glue, what a mess. The guitar sold, I don't know how it sold, but it did.
Michael
teleman55
#17 Posted : 12/28/2012 2:19:13 AM

OP here. Sorry, no pics. I think I'm just going to go with a plate or a bigger washer. That should work and I won't have to fish a new jack in and out of a semihollow. These have a tiny washer and when the guitar dropped the the patchcord jack hit and moved the jack about 20 degrees. The edge of the washer kinda dove into the wood a bit, best way to describe it. I straightened it back out as best I could and it works fine but the wood is weakened on one side, just right near the jack under the poly finish, which is intact.
Dick Foster
#18 Posted : 12/28/2012 5:17:38 PM
Dick Foster

In that case a shoulder washer will probably fill the bill.
I suggest a fiber one as they are a bit more robust.
If it won't fit down into the hole, you can either ream the hole a bit or trim a bit off of the protrusion of the washer so the remaining protrusion fills the dent.

OP here. Sorry, no pics. I think I'm just going to go with a plate or a bigger washer. That should work and I won't have to fish a new jack in and out of a semihollow. These have a tiny washer and when the guitar dropped the the patchcord jack hit and moved the jack about 20 degrees. The edge of the washer kinda dove into the wood a bit, best way to describe it. I straightened it back out as best I could and it works fine but the wood is weakened on one side, just right near the jack under the poly finish, which is intact.

teleman55
#19 Posted : 1/8/2013 5:34:11 AM

Just to follow up...I got a single Gotoh M-6 style standard tuner from LMI to replace the busted tuning machine. It was a drop-in replacement and even fits in cosmetically. The button is even the same size, just slightly different shape. Saved me from buying a whole set I didn't need. (stock tuners haven't given me problems with this guitar).
Replaced the washer on the jack with a chrome Les Paul jack plate. That worked out fine too. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Rokovakian
#20 Posted : 1/19/2013 3:51:22 AM

I know that many will balk at drilling additional holes for new tuners, but for those not bothered by doing so, I highly recommend Planet Waves tuners. Not only do they lock, but they automatically cut the string as you tune up, so you can leave the wire cutters at home.