Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Super 58 Custom Pickups
Mr. Ryte
#1 Posted : 2/22/2013 3:58:57 PM
Mr. Ryte

Groups: Member
So are these new pickups or simply the same old Super 58 (or Custom 58) pickups that have been relabeled? Think
Artstar AS120TR
My advice? Invest in LESSONS not gear.
Dick Foster
#2 Posted : 2/22/2013 4:17:37 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 49 post(s)

There is a recent thread on here that lays it all out.

Originally Posted by: Mr. Ryte Go to Quoted Post
So are these new pickups or simply the same old Super 58 (or Custom 58) pickups that have been relabeled? Think

Bill@Ibanez
#3 Posted : 2/22/2013 5:48:51 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 194 post(s)
My post was in this thread:
http://forum.ibanez.com/...t-to-the-old-AS-200.aspx

In a nutshell:

Super 58 - Introduced decades ago, Made in Japan. They are still put into the more expensive hollow body guitars.
Super 58 Custom - This pickup is put in our current line as well, made as a cheaper(but different) version of Super 58s. Made in China

Custom 58/Older Super 58 Custom - This is somewhat of a blur and has been argued many times. Introduced around 2008, there is confusion as to whether these have Ceramic or Alnico Magnets. In that thread I linked, I put in my 2 cents and found what info I could find, but this is still not definitive. Whether ceramic or Alnico, still made in China.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
Dante on 2/22/2013(UTC)
bigbore44
#4 Posted : 3/2/2013 3:21:30 AM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey guys there seams to be a lot of confusion about the magnets in the super58custom pickups. I just an e-mail from ibanez rech department and the told me that they are without a doubt Alnico magnets. They forgot to tell me which Alnico they are so I contacted them again aboit which type they are and I should hear from them in a few days and will let you know
Bu the way I put the super58customs in my am73 and there is a big difference over the ACH pickups, a much more smoother sound until you turn up the volumn then they have a nice growel to them. I play blues and jazz(love Larry Carlton)
holmis63
#5 Posted : 3/2/2013 8:30:59 AM

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I´ve said it before but,

Super 58: Alnico 3 magnet, deep, smooth, round, jazzy-bluesy, PAF like tone. The absolute best humbucker i´ve encountered, have them in both the vintage (original in an ´82 ar500) and new (fitted to a ´08 as93) version, they never get shrill or harsh, touch sensitive and dynamic and.... Just lovely.

Custom 58: Alnico 5 magnet (today), early version had ceramic magnet, clear, focused, more treble, rock´n´roll tone, i have them in an af125 and i was thinking of change them for super 58s but they turned out to be very nice on their own and give me an alternative to the super 58 tone. They can give a shrill tone (compared to the super 58, maybe i have the ceramic version, i´m not sure) at some settings, and need some dialing to find the smoothness i want, but i didn´t change them and maybe that tell something.

I´ve tried a lot of aftermarket pups and Ibanez pups are IMO the exciting alternative, i don´t know but Ibanez seems to really have done their R&D because there is a very mature behavior to their pups, i have Guitars with V2s, super 70s and super 80s as well and when playing those Gits a pup swap rarely comes to my mind :-)
Fretty
#6 Posted : 3/3/2013 2:18:22 AM

Wow...that is a good summary. I would agree with everything you say...and would add that as the pickups age ...they seem to sound better. Super 70s and super 58s from the 70s and 80s sound amazing to my ears. And V2s from that era were also quite smooth for such a hot pickup...they also had Alnico magnets although I can't recall Alnico...

Originally Posted by: holmis63 Go to Quoted Post
I´ve said it before but,

Super 58: Alnico 3 magnet, deep, smooth, round, jazzy-bluesy, PAF like tone. The absolute best humbucker i´ve encountered, have them in both the vintage (original in an ´82 ar500) and new (fitted to a ´08 as93) version, they never get shrill or harsh, touch sensitive and dynamic and.... Just lovely.

Custom 58: Alnico 5 magnet (today), early version had ceramic magnet, clear, focused, more treble, rock´n´roll tone, i have them in an af125 and i was thinking of change them for super 58s but they turned out to be very nice on their own and give me an alternative to the super 58 tone. They can give a shrill tone (compared to the super 58, maybe i have the ceramic version, i´m not sure) at some settings, and need some dialing to find the smoothness i want, but i didn´t change them and maybe that tell something.

I´ve tried a lot of aftermarket pups and Ibanez pups are IMO the exciting alternative, i don´t know but Ibanez seems to really have done their R&D because there is a very mature behavior to their pups, i have Guitars with V2s, super 70s and super 80s as well and when playing those Gits a pup swap rarely comes to my mind :-)

lschofield
#7 Posted : 3/4/2013 3:56:33 PM

For what it's worth, as pickups is a huge "your mileage may vary" space with a ton of mythology, I recently purchased an AS103 with the Super 58 Custom in both positions (from http://www.ibanez.com/Ho...wBodyGuitars/model-AS103):

PICKUPS
Bridge Pickup
Name: Super 58 Custom
Model No: Super 58 Custom
Construction: Humbucking
Magnet: Alnico
Description: Classic, warm and versatile.

When I started shopping I thought I was going to purchase a Gibson ES-335, and spent hours in stores finalizing the ES-335, the AS103, and a PRS. My big impressions were the Ibanez pickups were as warm and rich as the other two, there's a monstrous different between the Gibson ES-335 and the Epiphone version completely because of the pickups (stores seem to do a good business selling Epiphone, then replacing the pickups with real PAF versions), and the PRS pickups were equal as well, even well down into the cheaper SE line of guitars. The AS103 won in the end; the neck and action always felt right I'm assuming that most of my life I've held an Ibanez in my hands.

Now that I've spent a few months with the AS103, I'm continuously impressed with the warmness of the pickups and the versatility of the instrument. As you roll up the volume it very naturally saturates the overdrive pedal (ProCo Rat2) and runs a great fat jazz sound through the clean amp (JC120). I don't have enough experience to debate these pickups against others or the "Super 58" vs. the "Super 58 Custom", but the instrument I purchased is a well made great sounding one. I did compare with the GB which has the Super 58's, and I couldn't tell a difference.
===
1985 RS 520 black, 2012 AS 103 Vintage Burst
Artcore
#8 Posted : 3/4/2013 5:02:07 PM
Artcore

Man
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Call me crazy, but I love the stock pickups in my 2006 AS103. I've had Gibson's, I've had Duncan Seth Lovers....... but those "S58" pups sound better to me than anything out there.

I'll never change them. I don't know if they're ceramic, alnico 3, alnico 5........ whatever.

My sound is the AS103 plugged straight into a vintage old Alamo tube amp, with no effects.

Have a listen:

- Ibanez Artcore AS103 sound with "S58" pickups -
poodlesrule
#9 Posted : 3/15/2013 12:04:44 PM

I am interested in this conversation wrt a possible neck PU upgrade on my AS73.

Looking around for sources, I found these different part numbers:

"3PU1C15811 SUPER 58 NECK PICKUP CHROME"
and
"3PU1C4270 PICKUP SUPER 58 NECK/CHROME"

Confused!

Should I use one of the above two in the AS73 neck, I have concerns about
- creating an imbalance with the stock bridge PU?
- perhaps being confined to a pure jazzy tone?
Artcore newbie... can't you tell?
Dick Foster
#10 Posted : 3/15/2013 3:49:06 PM
Dick Foster

I'm betting one is a two lead and the other a four lead.
I ran into that ordering Super 58 customs recently.

The pickups used on the new AS153 have a four lead in the neck for a coil split setup but the brige pickup is a two lead i.e. no coil split possible. I don't know why they did that but I ordered the neck and bridge pickups both in the four lead flavor for the upgrade or mod I have in mind.

The thread is around here somewhere close because it was just the last week or two.
They were both the $50ish pickups, the two lead version is cheaper version. I couldn't see spending almost as much as the guitar cost me to get the MIJ pickups which would have set me back about about $300.

The ones I ordered are probably made in China but I don't care where they are made as long as they sound good and from all the reports here so far they sound just great.

Oh yeah the ones I ordered are in gold but I'll be changing them to chrome or maybe just remove the covers if I can't swap them with the ACH pups that are in there now. If push comes to shove, I'll just replate the things.

Originally Posted by: poodlesrule Go to Quoted Post
I am interested in this conversation wrt a possible neck PU upgrade on my AS73.

Looking around for sources, I found these different part numbers:

"3PU1C15811 SUPER 58 NECK PICKUP CHROME"
and
"3PU1C4270 PICKUP SUPER 58 NECK/CHROME"

Confused!

Should I use one of the above two in the AS73 neck, I have concerns about
- creating an imbalance with the stock bridge PU?
- perhaps being confined to a pure jazzy tone?
hannu
#11 Posted : 3/17/2013 4:58:26 PM

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dick Foster Go to Quoted Post

Oh yeah the ones I ordered are in gold but I'll be changing them to chrome or maybe just remove the covers if I can't swap them with the ACH pups that are in there now. If push comes to shove, I'll just replate the things.

Dick, you may already have looked into this, but in case you haven not, Reproguitarparts has pickup covers for various Ibanez pickups.

http://www.reproguitarparts.com/#!/~/category/id=1385148&offset=0&sort=normal

Hannu
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
1988 Fender Strat American Vintage 57 | 2013 Fender Jazz Bass
Dick Foster
#12 Posted : 3/17/2013 7:08:32 PM
Dick Foster

Cool that's good info. Thanks!
Any idea if the ACH covers will fit the Super 58's?

Originally Posted by: hannu Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dick Foster Go to Quoted Post

Dick, you may already have looked into this, but in case you haven not, Reproguitarparts has pickup covers for various Ibanez pickups.

http://www.reproguitarparts.com/#!/~/category/id=1385148&offset=0&sort=normal

Hannu

Boogers
#13 Posted : 3/23/2013 10:16:30 AM

Man
Got the original Super 58's on my AM50 and AS80. On the AM50 they go great for anything, including heavy distortion (Boss DS-1 through Fender Supersonic). On the AS80 much the same but because of the bigger body, the sound for solo jazz guitar is exceptional. A friend of mine who is a Gibbo freak couldn't put the AS80 down last time we were playing. I was stuck with his ES339. Ok for most stuff but too hot for jazz. My amp got hairy pretty early.

GO IBANEZ!!!! Dance
lucycandy
#14 Posted : 3/29/2013 7:21:05 AM

the way I put the super58customs in my am73 and there is a big difference over the ACH pickups, a much more smoother sound until you turn up the volumn then they have a nice growel to them. I play blues and jazz(love Larry Carlton)

#15 Posted : 4/1/2013 5:57:40 PM
Dick Foster

It's good to hear that. Two or four lead flavor?
I have a a couple of four leads on the way. Hopefully they will get here some day in the not too distant future.

Shake a leg, Ibanez.

Originally Posted by: lucycandy Go to Quoted Post
the way I put the super58customs in my am73 and there is a big difference over the ACH pickups, a much more smoother sound until you turn up the volumn then they have a nice growel to them. I play blues and jazz(love Larry Carlton)

bigbore44
#16 Posted : 4/3/2013 7:10:18 PM

Hey Lucycandy add a roller bridge to the am73 and the sound will be 2x as nice with the super58customs
Dick Foster
#17 Posted : 4/4/2013 4:48:12 PM
Dick Foster

Hard tail or soft? Which bridge did you go with?

Originally Posted by: bigbore44 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Lucycandy add a roller bridge to the am73 and the sound will be 2x as nice with the super58customs

bigbore44
#18 Posted : 4/4/2013 9:42:34 PM

Hey Dick I put on the locking roller bridge from StewMac forc$29.95 and kept the stock quick change lll. I must say thatit is now a nice
Guitar for blues and jazz
Dick Foster
#19 Posted : 4/4/2013 10:17:43 PM
Dick Foster

So that says it is their 5276.

If you didn't add a trem, why choose a roller bridge?

To what do you attribute the improvement in sound to, the extra mass of the bridge, the fact that the saddles screw down tight to the bridge or what?

I swapped out my stock roller for one that they carried too, the Golden Age. I think it helped the sound and sustain mainly due to the added mass of the bridge and the larger studs being screwed into metal inserts instead of being screwed directly into the wood of the base. Mines a floater.

I do like the fact that the saddles in yours have locking screws that cinch them down tight to the bridge even if it is a bit harder to tweak. The radius didn't match my guitar so I went with a 12 incher instead. Plus maybe it's because it's was the Golden Age and I'm old. LOL

I changed it out mainly to get rid of the buzz and rattle the stock Sung Il bridge produced due to crappy design and poor workmanship which resulted in lots of loose, ill fitting parts. It was also much lighter than the replacement. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of half the weight maybe.

A side benny was that it is more comfortable to rest my hand on because the rollers stand proud of the saddles so nothing is there to poke into the heel of my hand like the Sung Il bridge did.

Originally Posted by: bigbore44 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Dick I put on the locking roller bridge from StewMac forc$29.95 and kept the stock quick change lll. I must say thatit is now a nice
Guitar for blues and jazz

bigbore44
#20 Posted : 4/6/2013 10:34:46 AM

I feel that with the rollers the strings being round and the rollers have a curve where the string sits in them make a softer contact at one point as opposed to a block with a "V" where the string makes two contact points. I also like that setting the intoneation is easy to adjust with an allen wrench streight down as opposed to the adjusting screw being perpendicular
to the bridge under the strings. I kept thee quick change lll stock tailpiece. Next I most likeley will replace the nut with a nice polished bone nut. Anyway this all works just fine for me and everyone who has heard the new set up say it is definitly a much more smoother sound.