Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Pickup Talk: INF3 & INF4 vs. V1 & V2
Dante
#1 Posted : 4/1/2013 10:27:30 PM
Dante

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Guys,

Since I'm talking about swapping the PUs in my RG, I thought I'd put it here in the RG section. Moderators, feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong spot.

I have an RG that came with some Infinity PUs (INF3/INFs/INF4) and I have always felt the sound is a bit thin - too brittle sounding. Keep in mind, it is the only RG I have, and I typically play semi-hollows or dual humbucker guitars that sound a bit more round and mellow than your typical RG. My favorite PU combination so far is Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB, but I've been surprised by some others.

That said, I saw some V1 & V2 PUs for sale on Craigslist and thought I might try them in the little RG. The stuff I read online simply says I can expect 'a mixture between a PAF Pro and a Super Distortion' which has me intrigued. I have a real set of PAFs that I love, and the prospect of a hotter PAF is appealing.

Can anybody in here lend an opinion?
'82 PF-160 | '84 AM-50 | '86 AM-75 | '05 AR200 Goldtop | '06 AS83 | '11 RG4EXqm1
Guitars > TCE Nova System > Mesa Boogie DC-5
Dante
#2 Posted : 4/2/2013 5:32:03 PM
Dante

Man
the sound of crickets....chirp......chirp.......chirp

So, has nobody tried these pickups?

chirp
'82 PF-160 | '84 AM-50 | '86 AM-75 | '05 AR200 Goldtop | '06 AS83 | '11 RG4EXqm1
Blabla
#3 Posted : 4/3/2013 7:29:34 AM

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Sorry I haven't tried the INF, V1 or V2 pickups but the V7 and V8 humbuckers. In contrary to other opinions I like them a lot for the style of music we play. They are frequently offered on Ebay for a few bucks.
this_guy
#4 Posted : 4/4/2013 11:17:40 AM
this_guy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Dante,

I have an RG370 with INF3/4, and an RG550, with the V1/2.

The V series are definitely an upgrade to the INF series, however, depending on how much you are looking at spending, you would probably be better off saving up for some dimarzios, as they usually all go well when paired with an RG.

Because of the Basswood bodies usually found in ibanez RG's, Duncans are not usually found, as what i have read and heard, shows that duncans don't really suit Basswood bodies all that much.

So yes, the V series will sound better than the INF series, however they still will not compare with DiMarzio's or Duncan's. Consider the V series pickups to be a halfway point between INF series, and brands such as DiMarzio and Duncan.

If you told me what kind of genre you would play on the RG, say metal, rock etc. Then i could recommend some pickups for you.

Hope this helps in some way!!
1989 Ibanez RG550CM
2007 Ibanez RG370DX
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Crybaby Wah -> Blackstar HT-5C w/reverb
1 user thanked this_guy for this useful post.
Dante on 4/4/2013(UTC)
fang
#5 Posted : 4/4/2013 1:24:24 PM

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Never liked 'em Ibanez in-house pickups, swapped them all. Only kept the Neodymium models in my SZR520...
Dante
#6 Posted : 4/4/2013 3:34:21 PM
Dante

Man
@Fang: Well, I'm not a big fan of stock PUs either, except for some vintage Super 58s I have in a couple guitars.

@This_Guy: Folks on the Jemsite say the same thing, not much of an upgrade as much as a swap. The price is really cheap, so I'm leaning towards trying them just to satisfy my curiosity. In regards to what I want out of the little RG that could:

I am using this RG as my workhorse in a variety cover band - party tunes that rock out. There are 3-4 songs that get the full on METAL treatment, but most of the stuff I play is in the Rock genre. We also dabble in some Funk and Rockabilly, so clean tones are a must. Check out the songlist on our website; www.thetonemonkeys.com for a better idea of what we play. My main guitars are dual humbucker variety, and mostly mahogany bodies with maple caps...some are semi-hollows. As you mentioned, my RG is a Basswood body, with a 3-piece maple neck.

To my ears, the RG sounds thin and brittle when I'm using high gain and the bridge PU. The neck PU is really not doing it for me, very muddy and undefined. The single coil in the center is respectable, if I could just stop hitting it with my pick :/ I'm looking for a bit more 'round' tone, with more definition while using gain - the Seymour Duncan JB gives me that, but I'm always willing to try new things. I have a neck PU from Guitar Fetish (GFS) in a semi hollow guitar & it sounds very nice - better than the Seymour Duncan Jazz, IMHO. I believe it's the Alnico II Classic 2.

All in all, I like the guitar a lot more than I thought I would - I picked it up from Craigslist for really cheap. The kid that owned it couldn't master the Edge III trem. I've been dealing with Floyds since the 80s, so that's nothing new for me. Once I got the action and the intonation correct, I didn't have to tune it for a month :)
tonemonger
#7 Posted : 4/5/2013 1:26:58 AM
tonemonger

Man
If you haven't tried a DP100. You don't know what your missing.
get it in your axe!
RG550, and a couple of strats.
Dante
#8 Posted : 4/5/2013 1:44:44 AM
Dante

Man
Okay, I checked out the DP100 - While it gets glowing reviews for gain, it is not recommended for clean tones. I do some Brian Setzer, I need a great *sparkly* clean that can warm up to BB King territory.

A thought just occurred to me....I have an Epi Flying V with a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge. I could try that in the lil' RG and buy the V1/V2s to use in the V. The V is Mahogany body with a Korina top, so it has a much warmer tone than the basswood body on the RG. It might work with the V1/V2 PUs, it might not (shrug). Just a thought
Boogieman
#10 Posted : 4/5/2013 6:50:03 AM

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 62 post(s)
I'm actually a huge fan of the early V1 and V2. I say early because the V1 and V2 in my 20th Anniversary RG550 sounded very different. More like the V7 and V8...not a good thing.

Here's a pic of my original 87' RG550 and the Anniversary model...just because I have nothing better to do. Happy Happy Happy

1 user thanked Boogieman for this useful post.
Dante on 4/5/2013(UTC)
tonemonger
#9 Posted : 4/5/2013 10:52:19 AM
tonemonger

Man
Originally Posted by: Dante Go to Quoted Post
Okay, I checked out the DP100 - While it gets glowing reviews for gain, it is not recommended for clean tones. I do some Brian Setzer, I need a great *sparkly* clean that can warm up to BB King territory.

A thought just occurred to me....I have an Epi Flying V with a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge. I could try that in the lil' RG and buy the V1/V2s to use in the V. The V is Mahogany body with a Korina top, so it has a much warmer tone than the basswood body on the RG. It might work with the V1/V2 PUs, it might not (shrug). Just a thought

that's what strat players say. the dp in my RG is the shiznit. Quacks like a healthy duck in pos.4
Great for clean solo lines in pos. 5 . Try it.
RG550, and a couple of strats.
BLEKINGE BAD ASS
#11 Posted : 4/5/2013 7:44:22 PM
BLEKINGE BAD ASS

Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
The old V1/V2 are decent sounding stock pickups. A big difference compared to the inf3/4 wich kinda sucks.
Dante
#12 Posted : 4/5/2013 8:38:28 PM
Dante

Man
Well...I don't know if they're 'old' ones, but I do appreciate the pix, boogieman :)

I agree the INF3/4 suck...not feeling them at all
FoX KiLLa
#13 Posted : 4/15/2013 6:35:55 PM

Hey there. I know this is a 10 day old thread but I was just wondering if you ever decided to upgrade your pickup(s)? Just yesterday I installed a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion bridge pickup. I don't have any really issue with the stock INF3 neck pickup, but the INF4 bridge was just so weak and thin.

I have a really down-tuned setup and I'm really happy with the switch. It really broadened up my bridge tone. I guess the 'clean' does sound a tad dirty, but I think that's partly because of my setup as well. I don't really have any intentions on playing anything clean on this guitar anyway.

Pic of recent install:

Closeup of DiMarzio Super Distortion.
Dante
#14 Posted : 4/16/2013 2:58:31 PM
Dante

Man
Looks good Fox - I haven't done anything to the lil' RG yet. I was busy with an Epiphone Flying V that just got a Dimarzio Evo + Seymour Duncan JAZZ and a new switch & jack. Now, I can focus on the RG, but I honestly think I'm going to try something other than the V1 & V2. Cheap as they may be, I fear I'll end up swappin them again later.

No decisions on what I'll end up with, but I'll chime in when I get around to it. For now, I'm playing around with the Vee and a few others :)
this_guy
#15 Posted : 6/10/2013 1:14:24 PM
this_guy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey Dante, any news on the swap yet?

One thing for a neck pickup.. you mentioned that you wanted a stratish sound at some point yes??

Anyway, the new gravity storm pickup (neck) has a very vocal/stratty sound when its up in the upper mids/low highs.

And that's when it isnt coil tapped, maybe you should look into these pickups as well??

In a custom project i am doing, i plan on putting the gravity storm neck and bridge in, with a fast track 1 in the middle.
It's a JEM style guitar, basswood body, and i am going to (hopefully) get a custom neck made, which will be rosewood.

As for my RG550 with the V1/V2's, it's now sounding ridiculously thin and weak and needs new pickups..

Hope your search is going well!! :)
1989 Ibanez RG550CM
2007 Ibanez RG370DX
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Crybaby Wah -> Blackstar HT-5C w/reverb