Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Humbucker Pickups
brucehb50
#1 Posted : 4/24/2013 1:47:52 AM

Groups: Member
Can anyone tell me the differences between the ACH1/ACH2 humbucker pickups of a couple of years ago and the newer Super 58 Custom humbuckers?
Boogieman
#2 Posted : 4/24/2013 3:19:30 AM

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 62 post(s)
The ACH pickups have ceramic magnets while the Super 58 Customs for the most part have AlNiCo magnets. The Super 58 Customs are a higher end pickup that are on par with anything made by Duncan or Dimarzio. Different but of the same quality.
Artcore
#3 Posted : 4/24/2013 4:10:57 AM
Artcore

Man
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
ACH pickups are louder and a little bassier sounding than Super 58's. That's my impression.

I like both pickups.
Dick Foster
#4 Posted : 4/24/2013 3:01:46 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 50 post(s)
If you ever want to go split coils I don't think there are any four wire ACH pickups made but you can get Super 58 customs in either two or four wire flavors for both the neck and bridge positions.

The Super 58's customs are supposed to be a bit mellower and jazzier I think but can also rock harder and brighter with the controls cranked up. I've never heard a bad word said about them, not yet anyway. Now if mine would just get here.

brucehb50;505056 wrote:
Can anyone tell me the differences between the ACH1/ACH2 humbucker pickups of a couple of years ago and the newer Super 58 Custom humbuckers?

hannu
#5 Posted : 4/24/2013 7:38:22 PM

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Dick Foster;505071 wrote:
If you ever want to go split coils I don't think there are any four wire ACH pickups made but you can get Super 58 customs in either two or four wire flavors for both the neck and bridge positions.

The Super 58's customs are supposed to be a bit mellower and jazzier I think but can also rock harder and brighter with the controls cranked up. I've never heard a bad word said about them, not yet anyway. Now if mine would just get here.

The only problem with the Super 58 Customs is that they are difficult to get. Dick, I remember you ordering them some time ago, did anything ever come out of that?
I am hoping to get at least one, I am not all that impressed with the Seymour Duncan SH-2 that I put in my AK95. I'll swap it to an Super 58 Custom if I can get one. Last time I tried to order then through my Ibanez dealer, they just shipped two ACH's - and that took two months.
Hannu
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
1988 Fender Strat American Vintage 57 | 2013 Fender Jazz Bass
Dick Foster
#8 Posted : 4/24/2013 8:09:01 PM
Dick Foster

Well I called the other day to check and they had scheduled it on the proverbial slow boat and due to arrive in July or some crazy stuff. That was more like six months rather than the six weeks I was expecting. However Matt interceded on my behalf and now I should be getting them a bit sooner. Hope so anyway.

I'm still thinking of different ways to go about doing all the extra switching and what kind of switches to use. Right now I'm thinking of slide switches on the pick guard for tri-sound and maybe a couple of push pulls for phase or something. That way I wouldn't need to take a drill to the guitar body. I might just play around with clip leads at first to determine what's even worth hooking up on a more permanent basis.

I think if they'd streamline their process a bit, they'd sell a lot more of em. As it is now, it's as if their stuff is all made with unobtanium just due to systemic problems. It ain't exaclty streamlined.

Yeah I remember you saying that your previous attempt to get them went off into the weeds so I ordered direct from Ibanez rather than though a dealer. One less set of hands to get things all buggerd up. At least we have all the correct part numbers now and that's a good start.

hannu;505078 wrote:

The only problem with the Super 58 Customs is that they are difficult to get. Dick, I remember you ordering them some time ago, did anything ever come out of that?
I am hoping to get at least one, I am not all that impressed with the Seymour Duncan SH-2 that I put in my AK95. I'll swap it to an Super 58 Custom if I can get one. Last time I tried to order then through my Ibanez dealer, they just shipped two ACH's - and that took two months.
Hannu

jbear
#9 Posted : 4/25/2013 3:17:34 PM

PM'ed you Hannu.
peterk312
#10 Posted : 4/25/2013 11:47:05 PM

In the AFS75T the ACH1/ACH2 humbucker combination is pretty uninspiring to my ears, and I know a Seymour Duncan replacement would make a world of difference. The neck pickup is passable, but the bridge pickup is totally lifeless. I've tried lowering the pickup and raising the pole pieces, and I've tried lowering the pole pieces and raising the pickup as high as possible. Horrible. I'm looking at Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro or possibly the '59 as a replacement. I was thinking about using a Lace Hot Gold Dually I have in the bridge but when I installed it the two E strings have a noticeably decreased volume, and Lace pickups have no pole pieces. I can't compromise with the pickups.
Dick Foster
#6 Posted : 4/26/2013 8:38:06 PM
Dick Foster

Here an update for ya, Hannu.
Matt just called me to let me know that the pickups came in and will be shipped out to me next week.

Whoopie!

So they can be had in spite of appearances. Now pick up the phone and get yours on order.

hannu;505078 wrote:

Hannu

Boogieman
#12 Posted : 4/26/2013 9:57:47 PM

Dick Foster
#13 Posted : 4/26/2013 10:11:11 PM
Dick Foster

Well maybe not exactly that happy.

Why is it that anything I order seems to take forever getting here.
I have some stuff that is due today via FedX Smartpost, essentially the worst of everything that is meant to get parcels delivered combined. My mail carrier typically shows up around noonish.
Today it's after 3 and the Jeep is sitting about six blocks away with mail in it but no one is around. I went around the block in case the carrier was inside making a delivery. When I came back around it was still sitting there abandoned with the mail in it.
I am lead to believe that either the jeep broke down and they just left it there with the mail unsecured, or the carrier ducked inside for an extended nooner or the mail carrier was abducted by aliens from another planet.
Whatever the reason, I ain't got my stuff and I hate waiting for anything.

Boogieman;505172 wrote:

cwz
#11 Posted : 5/5/2013 3:21:48 PM

peterk312;505127 wrote:
In the AFS75T the ACH1/ACH2 humbucker combination is pretty uninspiring to my ears, and I know a Seymour Duncan replacement would make a world of difference. The neck pickup is passable, but the bridge pickup is totally lifeless. I've tried lowering the pickup and raising the pole pieces, and I've tried lowering the pole pieces and raising the pickup as high as possible. Horrible. I'm looking at Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro or possibly the '59 as a replacement. I was thinking about using a Lace Hot Gold Dually I have in the bridge but when I installed it the two E strings have a noticeably decreased volume, and Lace pickups have no pole pieces. I can't compromise with the pickups.

I had the same issue with my AFS. The original ACH set sounded awful. I switched to the SD Hot Rodded Humbucker set, which has the SH-4 JB for the bridge and SH-2n for the neck. Made a huge difference.
Dick Foster
#7 Posted : 5/5/2013 3:49:40 PM
Dick Foster

Another update.

Since the pickups were in New Jersey, I ordered all the switching stuff from Mouser Electronics to install them and do the split/phase switching etc.
All the pots and switches have come in now but I still don't have the pickups.

If Ibanez were in the foot race with the tortoise, the tortoise would most definitely win so I'm giving 5 to 1 odds on the tortoise if anybody here wants to wager. The snail would probably whoop em too so 3 to 1 on the snail.

Dick Foster;505169 wrote:
Here an update for ya, Hannu.
Matt just called me to let me know that the pickups came in and will be shipped out to me next week.

Whoopie!

So they can be had in spite of appearances. Now pick up the phone and get yours on order.

hannu;505078 wrote:

Hannu

Dick Foster
#14 Posted : 5/9/2013 4:20:50 PM
Dick Foster

Yippie, they are now on the truck and out for delivery. I'll soon have the Super 58 customs in my hot little hand. Next step is to measure them up and get some chrome covers on order. I don't want to mix gold and chrome on the same axe, that would be aesthetically unacceptable. In the meantime I can measure the impedance of the coils and what not.
Boogieman
#15 Posted : 5/9/2013 5:20:13 PM

Dick Foster;505484 wrote:

In the meantime I can measure the impedance of the coils and what not.

How do you measure the impedance of the what not?
Dick Foster
#16 Posted : 5/9/2013 8:28:55 PM
Dick Foster

I thought you were an engerner. I'll use and ohm meter first, then I might find a nice LCR meter at the flea market Saturday for cheap.

I've got my eye out for some RC decade or substitution boxes too. Could come in handy for fiddling around with cap values and what not for guitar tone circuits.

I've also been meaning to download and install a simple software spectrum analyser on the puter and using that to compare the ACH and 58 customs just for grins n grunts. I think going though the sound card should be sufficient for audio and pickup wor
k.
That is unless I stumble upon a screaming good deal at the flea market for a real analyzer. I scored a really nice Tektronix 2445B over there for about 80 bucks last summer. Now I've got a little T922 that I don't really need. Slow but good nuff for audio. Unfortunately I saw and bought it about an hour before I scored the 2445. I was desperate and scopeless at the time because all of mine had died, and that was like being nude or something.

Boogieman;505486 wrote:
Dick Foster;505484 wrote:

In the meantime I can measure the impedance of the coils and what not.

How do you measure the impedance of the what not?

Boogieman
#17 Posted : 5/9/2013 9:19:59 PM

So where do you connect the meter to the what not? I heard the the best what nots were made in pre-war Hungary though some prefer the British examples.
Dick Foster
#18 Posted : 5/9/2013 9:27:10 PM
Dick Foster

Just measure each coil separately but I suppose you could hook them up in series and measure, then in parallel and measure again if you like filling in blank squares on a piece of paper.
For that really down to earth, means business, official look be sure to put the page on a clip board. You'd be surprised how much authority you can get out of a clip board.

Boogieman;505491 wrote:
So where do you connect the meter to the what not? I heard the the best what nots were made in pre-war Hungary though some prefer the British examples.

Dick Foster
#19 Posted : 5/9/2013 9:49:51 PM
Dick Foster

BTW does anyone know if Ibanez uses brass or nickel/silver base metal for their pickup covers?

Artcore
#24 Posted : 5/9/2013 11:15:10 PM
Artcore

Man
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I really like the ACH pickups. You guys are crazy for changing them. I don't know what magnets are in there or what the covers are made from. I think they sound great!

Listen to this:

AS73 demo with Stock ACH pickups