Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Preamp and tuner not working
Tonyf
#1 Posted : 10/14/2013 9:08:16 PM

Groups: Member
I have an Ibanez EW acoustic that the pickup and tuner no longer work. Several batteries were tested, still nothing. The model is EW20ASE-NT1202. Serial number is 08U05047. Took it to Guitar Center where it was bought new, the tech said the pre-amp is dead and to fix it costs more than a new guitar. Checking on line, Ibanez has the preamp 5AEQ45F available to purchase. I can solder and replace electronics, so is there any concern about the difficulty of replacing this preamp? Is there a newer version that fits and would be better to purchase?

Thanks for you help.
Tony
RIX
#2 Posted : 10/14/2013 10:35:51 PM
RIX

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Hello Tony,

I read your post and I think if it were me I would look into this a little deeper before replacing the preamp. First if you brought this new it should be covered under warranty and you should be able to return the guitar for repair; especially if it just stop working.

A side from that I would verify that power was getting to the preamp from the battery with a volt meter. I believe these preamps are similar to Ibanez other preamps in that you shouldn't have to do any soldering. Once you remove the preamp from the guitar you'll find that the pickup and power cables are plugged into the preamp via connectors. If you find that you do have a dead preamp and don't want to go with the same one I would suggests the Fishman® Sonicore Pickup & Ibanez SST Shape Shifter Preamp that is used on the AEL models. Only thing is; it is a bit smaller in size preamp than the one you have now, so it may not completely fit the hole size and I'm not sure if has the same connectors.

Hope that helps, but look into the warranty first.

Originally Posted by: Tonyf Go to Quoted Post
I have an Ibanez EW acoustic that the pickup and tuner no longer work. Several batteries were tested, still nothing. The model is EW20ASE-NT1202. Serial number is 08U05047. Took it to Guitar Center where it was bought new, the tech said the pre-amp is dead and to fix it costs more than a new guitar. Checking on line, Ibanez has the preamp 5AEQ45F available to purchase. I can solder and replace electronics, so is there any concern about the difficulty of replacing this preamp? Is there a newer version that fits and would be better to purchase?

Thanks for you help.
Tony

RIX
#3 Posted : 12/15/2013 2:42:28 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.