Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BTB output level
pold
#1 Posted : 6/3/2014 7:14:18 AM

Groups: Member
Hello ,

I'm a newcomer with a btb 405 qm which I recently bought second hand. The bass needed a little oiling, cleaning, new batteries and a set of new strings. It's now in a perfect condition. When I plugged it for the first time in my amp, I found the output level was a little weak. All the controls seem to work properly. After a few days I got used to it : the volume knob is always at full power on the bass. But when I plug the SGR 180 with the same settings on the amp, it turns out much powerfull.

According to an active membre of this forum (namely bill@ibanez - if you read this, thanks once again Bill ! The wiring fits to the scheme you sent me), this could be the instrument natural sound. Now, has anyone noticed this or am I just expecting too much ?
Mr. Abner
#2 Posted : 6/5/2014 12:45:43 PM

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I can't say anything specific about either bass models you have, but indeed different instruments have different output levels. My MC-924 in passive mode has a much lower output than my RS-924 (also in passive mode). That's just the way it is with different pickups.

And I've yet to come across an amp I can't turn up enough to be heard. :)

-Alex
pold
#3 Posted : 6/10/2014 8:00:33 AM

Tank you for your contribution. By the way, it's a very good instrument, easy to play and with a smooth sound. Maybe a little heavy but I think the weight also have a good influence on the sound... JF
Sliide90027
#4 Posted : 5/8/2015 5:25:43 PM

This has been an ongoing thing with me.

I have 4 BTB's, 2 with the Dynamix and 2 With Barts.

My Main Bass, a 456 (with Barts) is considerably weaker than all of the others even with New Batteries.

I have endured this a long time and am about to just by 2 used basses for hardware and Electronics to switch out.

I barely play the 455 and should just do the switch out on that one, but I would play that one in a pinch.

The hardware finish and this inconsistency is the only beef I have with the 400 Series Instruments I have, and even prefer the Walnut stability over the Bubinga Stringers in the 1006 I have.

Still, the tone I am getting puts me in a position of wishing for a reissue of the 400 series - Walnut Stringers, Variable Midrange, Bolt on Neck to be shimmed to bring ultra low (Nap of the Frets), Basswood Clarity, QM Top.

I played a top of the Line Ken Smith. No Joy, just like the Neck Through BTBs of present.

I Played a Bolt on Smith. Now that was as inspiring as my 456. But why spend the $3K more to get it?

Bring em back Ibanez. These were and still are the peak for me.
Nighttrain1127
#5 Posted : 4/18/2016 11:51:28 AM

I have the same Issue and was wondering if there might be a gain pot on the Preamp? Does anyone know? The output is extremely low for an 18V Pre.