Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help me identify this please :) 42216 RS
Twelve8
#1 Posted : 3/7/2016 8:15:24 PM

Groups: Member
Hi Guys - my first post here. I'm not much of an Ibanez person so I'm at a loss with what this guitar is.

A friend of mine was given this by a family member. I think It's quite old (maybe from the late 70s / early 80s). Can anybody shed some light on what this is?

Just another note - the person now in possession of this guitar is a lefty and he has enquired whether it can be converted. I'm relatively confident I can switch the nut but I wouldn't know how to go about adjusting the bridge. Any ideas?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
T8

Full guitar

Headstock Front

Headstock Rear

Sound Hole

Bridge
RIX
#2 Posted : 3/8/2016 2:27:55 AM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I looked through the catalog archives and the closest guitar I could find is a 1974 model 79 Grand Concert. I don't believe that the truss rod cover (42216RS) is original to the guitar and the pick guard either fell off or was removed.

Here are the links to the catalog archive pages:

Ibanez Catalog Archives

1974 Ibanez Catalog

There will be an issue trying to turn this guitar to a lefty and that is the saddle. You could change the nut out, but because the saddle is set for right hand use it would not play in tune. The saddle slot would have to be routed for a left hand, but IMHO it would be a shame to modified this guitar for left hand use. If you decide to go ahead with the mod have it done by a pro.

Hope that helps.
RIX
Curtis Leowe
#3 Posted : 7/2/2016 2:30:47 PM

This guitar is an interesting anomaly to the IBANEZ brand. I have searched all the catalogues I can find on line and the nearest, as is correctly pointed out, is the Grand Concert Model 79 from 1974.

I have an identical guitar to the one posted above. I bought it from a work colleague c1979. I recently contacted him again with regard to the guitar. He recalled selling me the instrument and stated he had bought it second hand, himself, some 8 years previously. This could date the model to the late 1960's.

I have done some digging on line and found the truss rod cover is identical to that used on a HEIT guitar currently being sold in the US:

https://reverb.com/item/...it-rs-42216-70s-natural

From what I can gather HEIT was the name given to instruments imported into the US by TEISCO of Japan. These were sold through stores such as WOOLWORTHs etc.

I can't imagine the IBANEZ 42216 RS is particularly valuable, though it does appear quite rare.