Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Sorry but I have to brag about this deal I got!
JLaff
#1 Posted : 5/12/2016 1:48:52 AM

Groups: Member
So I'm browsing Guitar Center's used section like I always do and come across what they SAY is a GRG20Z for $74 plus shipping. But the pictures showed a much nicer Gio with shark inlays, HSH pickups and an Edge 3 trem. I thought, "hmmmmm...could be a mistake...I wonder if this picture is accurate...If I buy this guitar, will I get the one in the photo?"

Well, guess what!!! I got home from work today to find a GRG250DXB with metallic black finish on my porch! Woohoo! I love a great deal! It's in fine condition and it cost me less than $100 even with shipping!

Hot damn! Guitar Center's mistake is my boon!

One odd thing about the guitar, though, is that it has an Indonesia serial number (starts with "J") and yet it says "made in China" right below it...so I guess it's a mystery. To my knowledge, all the GRG250DX guitars were made in Indonesia. Anybody got an explanation?

Anyway, sorry for being so excited but I'm just totally jazzed about possibly being the very first human in history to get a KILLER deal on a guitar from a retail music chain! Dance
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 5/12/2016 12:53:19 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
Cool Deal!!!

The "J" serial numbers were from our Chinese factory. Any of the Indonesian factory serial numbers would start with the letter "I". The Gio models have been made in Indonesia and China most recently. There may have also bee some Korean Gio's in the past, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
JLaff
#3 Posted : 5/12/2016 2:21:11 PM

Originally Posted by: Bill@Ibanez Go to Quoted Post
Cool Deal!!!

The "J" serial numbers were from our Chinese factory. Any of the Indonesian factory serial numbers would start with the letter "I". The Gio models have been made in Indonesia and China most recently. There may have also bee some Korean Gio's in the past, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thanks for the info! I've really got to give it to Ibanez for putting great guitars out there for beginners. The value for the money these days would have been unthinkable when I first started playing (25+ years ago). The up and coming generation can get a brand new great-playing, great-sounding and great-looking guitar that they're proud to play and show off to their friends (which goes a long way to motivate beginners to practice) at a price that (even with inflation considered) beats ANYTHING playable when I was a teen. I can't even believe it!

Ibanez seems to be leading the way with the quality affordable guitar movement. The Gio series guitars beat squires, epis, ltds, etc. when you consider the features per dollar paid. With Gio guitars, beginners (and experienced players like me) can get a guitar the is comfortable and easy to play. That's a lot more than I can say about Affinity strats with their sharp fret-ends. With beginner guitars of this caliber, can you imagine what kind of skills this up and coming generation can accomplish? It boggles the mind. No one can blame their instruments anymore. If someone has the motivation to practice, then they can accomplish anything.
renton481
#4 Posted : 10/30/2016 9:52:24 AM

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Late to this thread, I know, but congrats on the guitar.

What you say about Ibbys and their beginner guitars -- preach on, brother. :-)

It's true, the beginner guitars today are a lot better than 20-30 years ago.

Back in the 1970's and 80's you sometimes had to become a beginner luthier to make a beginner guitar playable. You still could get a good sound, but it would take a bit of work: moving or angling bridges, replacing pickups, shaving neck heels (to lower the action to a playable level), it was sometimes lots of fun. One of my favorite guitars is a Japanese Jag or Jazzmaster knock-off probably built in the early 70's, and it took a lot of work to get it really really playable....

The Gio I got in 2003 only took an adjustment of one of the bridge saddles.

Ibanez did make good guitars back early on, though, even their 60's models had great wood and terrific necks for the time. I have a 60's Ibby and it's probably got the best neck of any of my guitars.