Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AGB200-TBR
muzbuster
#1 Posted : 8/30/2016 3:31:28 AM

Groups: Member
I've had my AGB200 for about 3 years and very happy with the sound, feel and action.
Recently I've had a couple of mixing engineers make the comment that maybe I should have the guitar (pickups and internal wiring) shielded or at least have the earthing of the shielded wiring checked out due to buzzing that comes through when I hook into their DI boxes and mixers.
Have any other users of the Artcore basses ever heard of similar problems ? ... and fixes ?
P.S. It sounds fine when I'm just using my amp. Thanks !
Rickrew
#2 Posted : 8/30/2016 11:30:24 AM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
You should hear minimal buzzing, unless you have old-style single coil pickups. If you have noise, or your engineer complains about noise from your bass, you or a tech should check to see if the axe is grounded properly. You can also reduce buzz by using shielded wire throughout the electronics, and line the routed cavities with shielding material. Your tech will know how to do it.

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
muzbuster
#3 Posted : 8/30/2016 11:12:58 PM

Thanks Rick. Does this Ibanez have a history of requiring such a remedy ?
Rickrew
#4 Posted : 8/31/2016 1:04:46 PM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have no experience with this model. What I've posted is just basic knowledge of electric guitars. Sorry I can't give you any other insight.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
1 user thanked Rickrew for this useful post.
muzbuster on 9/2/2016(UTC)
Mr. Abner
#5 Posted : 9/1/2016 12:26:46 AM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The AGB series is semi-hollow, so there is no cavity to shield (unless you want to line the entire interior of the body with copper foil -- good luck with that). And as such, I'm pretty sure all the wiring is already shielded.

Have you heard the noise yourself? Is it possible that the noise is there when plugged in to your amp but low enough to not be an issue? Without knowing more details about how everything is connected, it can be difficult to isolate the problem.

(Not saying this is the case, but I've encountered more than a few sound "engineers" that will discover problems with any bass unless it is a Fender Precision.)

-Alex
1 user thanked Mr. Abner for this useful post.
muzbuster on 9/2/2016(UTC)
muzbuster
#6 Posted : 9/2/2016 11:07:41 PM

Originally Posted by: Mr. Abner Go to Quoted Post
The AGB series is semi-hollow, so there is no cavity to shield (unless you want to line the entire interior of the body with copper foil -- good luck with that). And as such, I'm pretty sure all the wiring is already shielded.

Have you heard the noise yourself? Is it possible that the noise is there when plugged in to your amp but low enough to not be an issue? Without knowing more details about how everything is connected, it can be difficult to isolate the problem.

(Not saying this is the case, but I've encountered more than a few sound "engineers" that will discover problems with any bass unless it is a Fender Precision.)

-Alex

Thanks Alex. Was wondering about what constituted the cavity on this guitar. Your comment has convinced me that I need to do some 'swap-out' trials to isolate the problem and compare to other guitars that don't raise the same problem. And if it turns out to be a wiring problem, I guess unless a wire's shield has actually broken then all AGB series would have the same problem. Does Ibanez keep a history of these things ?
-Murray