Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BTB1606 EQ bypass switch
perfectpair4balance
#1 Posted : 9/3/2016 5:47:45 PM

Groups: Member
Greetings everyone. This is my first post.

I just purchased a Ibanez BTB1606 NTF. I love the feel and balance of this bass. The 1606 has Nordstrand Big Singles pickups. The bass also has the EQ bypass switch. This question is with the assumption that the EQ bypass switch allows the bass to switch from active to passive.

Recently, my battery died. After switching the EQB-IIISC 3-band bypass switch to the passive position, the bass continued to send sound to the amp. I figured that the dead battery would be a good opportunity to test the passive function of the pickups; so, I removed the battery to continue playing without the battery in passive mode. This worked for about 15 minutes and then it stopped sending sound to the amplifier. No sound at all with the amp volume and gain all the way up. The most i heard was a slight distorted sound if i plucked the B and E string; but i had to do it pretty hard.

Does any one know if the Nordstrand Big Singles pickup require a battery in order to function or is there some type of capacitor or diode that which stores charge to allow the Nordstrand pickups to continue working without a battery for a finite time period before they require a battery to function passively? Hope this isn't too technical of a question. Think

Thanks in advance
Sentwali
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 9/7/2016 4:59:41 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 387 time(s) in 378 post(s)
There isn't anything that I know of that would cause this kind of issue. Nothing inside the bass should cause it to stop working after 10-15 minutes of playing. I suspect that it may be something internally wrong with the preamp. Your best bet might be to have someone take a look at it, and/or possibly replace the preamp.