Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Truss Rod.
Samw
#1 Posted : 9/15/2016 3:13:54 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does any one know if the truss rod installed in the neck of an SZ is single action or 2-way. I was thinking about doing a neck reshape on mine and thinning the back of it just a little. Single acting truss rods take up more room so there is less wood between the back of he neck and the truss rod. Was also thinking about slimming down the volute so I don't feel it when I am high up on the neck and taking some of the shoulders off to make it more C shaped. Anyone ever reshape if thin these necks?
Samw
#2 Posted : 9/16/2016 11:13:37 AM

I hear crickets
Bill@Ibanez
#3 Posted : 9/16/2016 1:17:46 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Yeah, there are a bit of crickets around here. Some of the users on the forum pop their heads in and out often, but you might not get a response right away.

For something like this, chances are nobody(on this forum) has ever tried something like this and doesn't feel they can help or give any insight. Personally, I'm not sure how much room you'll have in there and I'd be a little hesitant to try and take too much "meat" from the neck. These SZ models should have a dual action truss rod, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

To be sure, you could try and back the truss off all the way and see if it starts adjusting in the other direction. This would be surefire to know which kind of rod is in there now. If the truss doesn't start adjusting, the truss nut should back off and be able to be removed completely. Although, I do think this is a 2 way truss rod, so you'll probably hit that loose middle point and then start to feel tension again.

Hope this helps and good luck! If you end up moving forward with something like this, it would be awesome to see any progress pics and details!
-Bill
Samw
#4 Posted : 9/16/2016 1:35:49 PM

Thanks for your reply. I will post the outcome if indeed I try this.
Tracy Dae
#5 Posted : 9/16/2016 3:45:38 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
I own a first generation WMIC SZ320 and can confirm that it has a dual action truss rod. It would be reasonably safe to assume the first generation WMIC SZ520s and SZ720s also have them. I cannot say anything about newer generations or those made at facilities other than World though.
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Samw
#6 Posted : 9/16/2016 6:04:52 PM

My model is all mahogany including the top. Model-Ibanez SZ320MH I believe and sn W35114-. I did not include the last number of the sn. Have to keep some secrets don't we? I would also like to remove most of the volute. I know the volute is there to protect the neck if there is a fall, but every time I play an open E chord, my hand is on the volute and it bugs me. I just got finished playing this guitar and it sounds quite good with the stock pickups. This one is a bit beat up but the frets are in great shape. I also plan on refinishing it and trying to figure out a way to sand around the serial number to save it. Might use a razor blade to just scrape the back of the head stock and hopefully not draw blood. I know, I can't leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the replies and hopefully this has the dual action rod as well.
Tracy Dae
#7 Posted : 9/17/2016 1:05:34 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Your serial number indicates that your guitar is a first generation SZ320MH made by World Musical Instruments Co. So it should be almost exactly like mine with the exception of the lack of a maple cap.

I like the tone of the stock pickups in mine as well. I did make a minor modification to the wiring though. Just added one more tone to it's tonal pallette.
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Samw
#8 Posted : 9/18/2016 1:40:44 AM

I have been playing this guitar for most of the day and the stock pickups sound quite good. I really like the way a Les Paul sounds, but not so much how they feel. This guitar comes so close to the sound and is much more comfortable. I had one of these many years ago and sold it for some reason. My wife says this is her favorite of all my guitars for what that's worth. Thanks again for the help and hopefully I will get this project kicked off soon. Ibanez take note. Make this guitar again with a thinner neck, same scale, same woods, same pickups, and same size frets. You only need to make one😁.
Samw
#9 Posted : 4/17/2017 4:52:09 PM

Finally got around to sanding the neck down a little. First fret between .78 and .79, and 12th fret to.866. Made it more of a C shape as well. Also removed most of the Volute. I ended up sanding all of the finish off the body and neck, and going to refinish it. Probabaly going to use dyes and wipe on ploy. I am not experienced at spraying a finish on or set up for that. It has a very nice one piece mahogany top.

I put strings on it and hoped that the truss rod would not shoot out of the back of the neck when I tuned it up, and all seems well. The neck feels much more comfortable to me. Also made the tummy relief a little longer towards the back of the guitar, and it sits better on me. This guitar had a lot of dings and scratches. Would upload pics, but don't know how from my iPhone.