Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

pickup question on a GRX70QA
jonyrotten
#1 Posted : 11/17/2016 10:54:46 PM

Groups: Member
hey guys, question on a gio pickup

i bought this guitar for my wife, she wants to learn but i didn't want to spend much in case this goes away after a week

http://www.ibanez.com/products/...ta_id=235&color=CL01

as you can see, it's an HSH setup. my problem is, the single coil pickup isn't mounted parallel to the strings. it's tilted about 15-20 degrees toward the bridge. this isn't normal is it? i've never had this type of pickup arrangement, my only single coils are on my strat, but it certainly doesn't look right to me. any ideas? i asked ibanez customer support but they may take forever to respond, or not at all being as it's a econo model.

any opinions?
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 11/18/2016 2:40:19 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I've seen some single coil leaning issues before. Under the pickup, there is likely some kind of foam or spring to keep the pickup raised. I believe this may be caused when the spring or foam is crooked under that pickup. The only way to find out and fix it would be to remove the single coil pickup and see what is underneath.

Once it is up and you can see what is used, you may be able to straighten it out, or you may need to replace it with something new. You might be able to find new foam at a local music shop(or even a hardware store maybe?), but if all else fails you can definitely buy it online. This is one website listing this type of foam:
http://www.stewmac.com/P...GoLJYU-LvpD4xoCeK3w_wcB

Hope this helps,
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
jonyrotten on 11/18/2016(UTC)
jonyrotten
#3 Posted : 11/18/2016 7:47:37 PM

thanks Bill, when i change her strings i'll take the p/u out and check under it.
Tracy Dae
#4 Posted : 12/3/2016 7:45:13 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
I have seen that many inexpensive guitars do not have foam under the pickups. I usually add foam if the guitar I am repairing or upgrading does not have it. I often find suitable foam for free because it is sometimes used as packing material.
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
jonyrotten on 12/4/2016(UTC)
renton481
#5 Posted : 12/3/2016 8:22:27 PM

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
My GRX40's neck pickup leans a hair towards the neck (angled towards the neck by a millimeter or so?). Same thing with the middle pickup. The Powersound humbucker (bridge position) leans a tiny bit towards the bridge (angled a bit in that direction). You say on your wife's guitar it's angled 15-20 degrees, that's probably more than my pickups are angled, though. On my Gio it's more like 5 to 10.

It never bothered me. I take it as the springs beneath the pickguard are probably a bit weaker than they could be. Or perhaps the holes in the pickups were somehow angled by accident at the factory.

I don't think the angling in my situation changes the sound of the guitar any, and if it does, it sounds perfectly fine to me. You have to stare at the pickups to look for the leaning.

When you think about it, the angling you see won't change the sound of your wife's guitar that much. The angling only moves the pickup's "window" by a few millimeters at best, and if it's only the middle, single coil pickup, how often will it be used?

You could always replace the adjustment springs (the picture isn't clear enough to tell me if the single coil on your guitar is adjusted by two screws, or just one -- on my GRX40 all pickups are adjusted by two screws). That would be my first action on it. Stronger adjustment springs might straighten the angle a bit.

Or just add a couple stronger springs to the existing ones. Springs can be found at good hardware stores. I have a Japanese 70's copy where I doubled the adjustment strings. It made the pickups more stable.
1 user thanked renton481 for this useful post.
jonyrotten on 12/4/2016(UTC)
jonyrotten
#6 Posted : 12/5/2016 6:36:34 PM

thanks to everyone for their input. man, this board is not configured correctly, that's twice it puked in the middle of my session. luckily i don't type out my posts in the board, i do them in notepad then paste them in. if i had typed all this then lost it because of a board glitch, i'd have been through the roof and in my attic now.

renton481;520717 wrote:
I don't think the angling in my situation changes the sound of the guitar any, and if it does, it sounds perfectly fine to me. You have to stare at the pickups to look for the leaning.

i agree, i think it sounds pretty good, but i've never had one of these pickups so i don't know what it's supposed to sound like. but still, it sounds good to me. it just looks like ass. but you can't see it from the front, only when i strap it on and i'm looking down at it can i see the tilt.

renton481;520717 wrote:
When you think about it, the angling you see won't change the sound of your wife's guitar that much. The angling only moves the pickup's "window" by a few millimeters at best, and if it's only the middle, single coil pickup, how often will it be used?

i'm an M.E., and in the world of engineering, a few millimeters is a lot. reminds me of the old saw "would you like to be hung by the neck on piano wire, and your feet missed touching the floor by a few millimeters?" i'm used to working in tenths of thousandths of an inch, so an eighth of an inch is here to Seattle and back for me. and i don't know how often she will use that pickup, she can't play for poop. but i've noticed that the best sounds i get out of it come from mixing the single coil with the inboard coils of the two humbuckers, that being switch positions 2 and 4. i seriously can't quite wrap my head around how good these inexpensive guitars sound nowdays. when i was a teenager and playing "bar tours", this would have been a $1000 guitar and way out of my price range. now they are $200, amazing.

renton481;520717 wrote:
You could always replace the adjustment springs (the picture isn't clear enough to tell me if the single coil on your guitar is adjusted by two screws, or just one -- on my GRX40 all pickups are adjusted by two screws). That would be my first action on it. Stronger adjustment springs might straighten the angle a bit.

Or just add a couple stronger springs to the existing ones. Springs can be found at good hardware stores. I have a Japanese 70's copy where I doubled the adjustment strings. It made the pickups more stable.

yep, first time i have to change her strings, i'll get the headlight hat and the reading glasses out and go to work
renton481
#7 Posted : 12/7/2016 2:21:58 PM

I hear ya, Jonyrotten, but remember music -- unlike engineering -- isn't an exact science. :-)

Some times the best sounds appear out of accidents and accidentals.

Peter Green (the leader of the British 60's blues rock group Fleetwood Mac -- this was before the more modern incarnation of them) played a Les Paul that had the bridge pickup installed backwards. It was a humbucker with the cover on, but it was placed on the guitar with the adjustment screws facing/aiming away from the bridge -- the opposite of the way they are on nearly every covered bridge humbucker out there.

He refused to change it. He said it was part of what gave him his sound. And if you've ever seen live BBC clips of the band on YouTube (there's a good one of them doing "Oh Well", where he's playing that Les Paul), it sounded good.

Whether the reversed pickup made a difference, who knows? It's part of that guitar mojo I guess.

Good luck with the Ibby and hopefully your wife will learn some stuff on it and have fun playing it.
jonyrotten
#8 Posted : 12/8/2016 10:15:32 AM

renton481;520732 wrote:
Some times the best sounds appear out of accidents and accidentals.

yes, that's exactly right. i remember being a teenager and during gigs i would sometimes just blurt out an Yngwie quality riff in the middle of a solo, and think "mein Gott, did i just do that? how the hell did i do that?" accidents are where some of my best sounds come from, when i'm not over thinking but i'm more just feeling. that's one thing i try to impart to wifey about this. she doesn't have a lot of time to learn and we are not the youngest bulbs in the drawer anymore, but maybe she'll pick up something. her dad was a bluegrass player, guitar and banjo, so she has that going for her.

renton481;520732 wrote:
there's a good one of them doing "Oh Well", where he's playing that Les Paul

link? love that song, that was my first i ever heard him, i learned it from listening to WROQ in Charlotte, NC in the 1970s
renton481
#9 Posted : 12/13/2016 4:51:26 AM

Found the link to the Fleetwood Mac vid of Oh Well on the BBC....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM

I was mistaken -- it's Peter Green's neck pickup that's reversed -- on this video the bridge pickup only is engaged.

Either way, he got a good sound out of it...

You can tell he's laughing at some mix up that took place during a transition... Great video.

1 user thanked renton481 for this useful post.
jonyrotten on 12/15/2016(UTC)
jonyrotten
#10 Posted : 12/15/2016 2:19:13 PM

thanks for that. i loved that song as a youngun. it was one of the first things i can remember playing were i thought to myself, "yeah, now this is really playin". great song, i wish that take was longer
jonyrotten
#11 Posted : 12/15/2016 2:45:02 PM

just another aside.

the green manalishi. priest did it good, but it was a fleetwood mac song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOD8i-8uWY

damn, mick was so young back then. of course, so was i.