Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Classic Elite pickups?
Artcore
#1 Posted : 12/14/2016 2:34:15 AM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I just bought a new AS73 from Sweetwater. Sounds great!

I assumed I would be changing the pickups, but I really like the stock ones. I thought the guitar was equipped with the standard ACH pickups that Ibanez has been using...... But I'm wrong, wrong.

This guitar is equipped with what Ibanez calls their "Classic Elite" pickups. NOT the ACH pups. They have ceramic magnets according to the spec sheet for th AS73 on the Ibanez website.

They sound frickin' great!

Anybody else have an opinion?

A guy is selling a set that he pulled from a new Artcore ASV10A and his measured:

Neck pickup - 9.3k ohm d.c. resistance
Bridge pickup - 11.0k ohm d.c. resistance

That's hotter than the typical PAF but not in Super Distortion territory.

I can say that my AS73 with these "Classic Elite" pups sounds slightly brighter (in a good way) to my guitar equipped with S58's.
Rickrew
#2 Posted : 12/31/2016 3:02:24 PM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well, I think the whole pickup thing is dependent on the kind of music a player intends to play. Example: I like the ACH pickups on my AF75 - I think they're great for traditional jazz, especially with a rosewood bridge and flatwounds - dark, woody, even sound across the register of the guitar. Maybe not the best for fusion, though. And, I like they way they sound for blues, and bluesy rock and roll - thick, lower output pickups that allow me to drive the amp harder. Not spikey, just thick and on the dark side. But these wouldn't work for a guy who wants to play metal. Certainly wouldn't work for someone with Fenderesque single-coil sounds in their head.

How would you describe the sound of Classic Elites? Haven't heard them, to my knowledge.

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Woyvel
#3 Posted : 7/5/2017 4:09:17 PM

I have an older AFS75T(2003) with the old ACH pickups. I've loved it and thought the tone to be a bit jangly with lighter strings on it. Once I changed to .012 flatwound strings it changed the character of the guitar. Warmer tone, stayed in tune. I'm looking at getting a semi-, and the AS73 may be my choice rather than the 93 because of the weight. I love the Super 58's, but maybe the Classic Elites in a lighter weight guitar would be good for blues and rock. We'll have to see.
NoStringsAttached
#4 Posted : 7/7/2017 1:32:14 AM

Originally Posted by: Artcore Go to Quoted Post

I assumed I would be changing the pickups, but I really like the stock ones. I thought the guitar was equipped with the standard ACH pickups that Ibanez has been using...... But I'm wrong, wrong.

This guitar is equipped with what Ibanez calls their "Classic Elite" pickups. NOT the ACH pups. They have ceramic magnets according to the spec sheet for th AS73 on the Ibanez website.

A guy is selling a set that he pulled from a new Artcore ASV10A and his measured:

I can say that my AS73 with these "Classic Elite" pups sounds slightly brighter (in a good way) to my guitar equipped with S58's.

Hi all,Just purchased my first Ibanez (online), a bargain priced, NOS AGS73T which is now on its way down to me in New Zealand.Not my actual guitar but same model at https://reverb.com/item/...ofessionally-setup.Sort of a "pawn shop special" look about it that appeals to me but the main reason I bought it (sight unseen!) was because I was hankering for a semi hollow instrument.
As you will read this now obsolete model also has (ceramic) Classic Elite pickups hence my interest in your post. The thing is that somewhere else I read that Classic Elite and ACH pickups are the same! Any truth in this?
Also, while I was doing a bit of pre purchase research I read somewhere else that ACH pickups are not very good.Worthwhile checking to see if the electrical specifications are the same for both model pups or not.
I suspect that the reason the AGS73T is no longer available may be because owners have experienced tuning issues due to the Ibanez branded tremelo not being very stable.The bridge on the AGS73T has roller saddles to aid holding tune but there are a number of other areas that may be troublesome.
Sorry, just realized I have hijacked your post ..... back on track.It may be that Ibanez changed the pickups names just for marketing reasons i.e "Classic Elite" sounds a whole lot better that "ACH".Too cynical?
Dick Foster
#5 Posted : 7/7/2017 7:39:34 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NoStringsAttached Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Artcore Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,Just purchased my first Ibanez (online), a bargain priced, NOS AGS73T which is now on its way down to me in New Zealand.Not my actual guitar but same model at https://reverb.com/item/...ofessionally-setup.Sort of a "pawn shop special" look about it that appeals to me but the main reason I bought it (sight unseen!) was because I was hankering for a semi hollow instrument.
As you will read this now obsolete model also has (ceramic) Classic Elite pickups hence my interest in your post. The thing is that somewhere else I read that Classic Elite and ACH pickups are the same! Any truth in this?
Also, while I was doing a bit of pre purchase research I read somewhere else that ACH pickups are not very good.Worthwhile checking to see if the electrical specifications are the same for both model pups or not.
I suspect that the reason the AGS73T is no longer available may be because owners have experienced tuning issues due to the Ibanez branded tremelo not being very stable.The bridge on the AGS73T has roller saddles to aid holding tune but there are a number of other areas that may be troublesome.
Sorry, just realized I have hijacked your post ..... back on track.It may be that Ibanez changed the pickups names just for marketing reasons i.e "Classic Elite" sounds a whole lot better that "ACH".Too cynical?

The bridge that Ibanez puts on Artcores is a cheap piece of junk that rattles and buzzes but it can easily and economically replaced. 30 bucks US maybe.

I also made some simple improvements to the Bigsby copy tremolo which makes it smoother to operate.

It's common to replace the stock tuners with better hardware too. Also not expensive nor hard to do.

Pickups are a matter of how it sounds to your own ears with your amp.

As always with Ibanez, the basic guitar is a great value and taking them from a good guitar to a great guitar is both economical and easy to do.