Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Yeah I know I don't "need" another one but...
Tracy Dae
#1 Posted : 1/14/2017 8:54:03 PM
Tracy Dae

Groups: Member
Woman
Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Yeah I know… I don’t “need” another one – but it would be nice to have a gold top. So I bartered my way into this one this week. It’s a 2013 Guitar Center exclusive AR320 gold top. It needs repairs but I can fix it. The toggle switch is broken. The bridge tone control does not work. The treble strings buzz on frets 13, 15 and 18 and there is a gouge on the edge in the back. Well, I can fix everything but the gouge. The gouge doesn’t really bother me that much since I plan to gig with this guitar anyways. It is likely going to get more battle scars over time.

I do have a short window to return it if I find that the truss rod doesn’t work properly. I’ve been checking it every day since Wednesday and it seems to be behaving itself. It adjusted in to where I like it without any problems. I snapped this pic as I was getting ready to replace the broken toggle switch and re-melt all the solder joints as well as check out why the bridge tone control does not work.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Tracy Dae
#2 Posted : 1/17/2017 4:30:17 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
I did some fret work on the gold top Artist after work today. It had issues on the 12th, 15th and 18th frets. The nut was a little high as well. I found that all the frets above the 12th fret were not fully seated so out came the fret hammer. They were pretty hard to drive down so I am reasonably sure they didn’t lift up to get that way. Anyways after tapping them all down to where they are supposed to be I did a micro level and restrung to test. It is certainly much better now than before but I still have an issue with the high E string on the 12th fret. At least now it is only one note… So I need to work on the fall away a little more.

When I took the nut off I saw that the bottom was not perfectly flat as it is supposed to be. So I colored the bottom with a sharpie and sanded until it was perfectly flat. Now the string height at the nut is where it is supposed to be. It plays really nice except for that high E string on the 12th fret.

Tracy Dae
#3 Posted : 1/24/2017 1:00:54 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
I got under way with shielding and rewiring the gold top AR320 this weekend. To my dismay I found that I will need long shaft pots for this one. Standard length pots will not fit. So I ordered long shaft pots and pressed on with getting done what I could get done while I wait for them to arrive.

So here is a pic showing how I do an output jack. I use the Switchcraft “Little jack” enclosed jack then put heat shrink around it to prevent any chance of shorting against the shield. This also makes for a pretty tight fit so the jack does not spin if the jack nut works loose. I also put some clear nail polish on it as a thread locker to prevent the jack nut from working loose.

Here is how I do the pickup selector switch. I use a short Switchcraft toggle with a deep threaded nut then use a rubber grommet to prevent/reduce that knocking sound that can happen when switching between pickups mid song. Inside the switch cavity I use a piece of a popcicle stick shapped to tilt the mounting angle of the switch to match the carve of the top.

I reused the mini toggles for the Tri-Sound but a cut the excessive length from all the leads. These MIC Artist tend to have an incredible amount of excessive wire in them that is completely not needed. All that extra can be a potential problem so it has to get cut out.

Rickrew
#4 Posted : 3/27/2017 5:33:18 PM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Nice find. I like that body style, and the gold top is cool.

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe