Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AS=73 machine heads upgrade
alembic54
#1 Posted : 1/28/2017 1:52:34 AM

Groups: Member
I got an original AS-73 in Tobacco sunburst in 2002 when they first came out. Over the years I've upgraded the electronics, the pickups (to a set of Harmonic design Z-90's which sound amazing) and put a Graphtec Bridge in which made a huge difference. All that's left for me to do is to get a Graphtec tailpiece , and a replacement set of machine heads. The stock machine heads work, but they're cheap and not very efficient. Any thoughts on a replacement that i can drop right in? Gotoh, Grover? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff*
Dick Foster
#2 Posted : 1/29/2017 8:54:25 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: alembic54 Go to Quoted Post
I got an original AS-73 in Tobacco sunburst in 2002 when they first came out. Over the years I've upgraded the electronics, the pickups (to a set of Harmonic design Z-90's which sound amazing) and put a Graphtec Bridge in which made a huge difference. All that's left for me to do is to get a Graphtec tailpiece , and a replacement set of machine heads. The stock machine heads work, but they're cheap and not very efficient. Any thoughts on a replacement that i can drop right in? Gotoh, Grover? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff*

Gotoh SG381. It's been covered a couple dozen times at least on this board. Tracy Dae will speak up soon to confirm. They have locking versions too. The Gotohs are a drop in fit, no drilling required. Also different finishes and knob styles. Be sure to pay attention and get the left and right and not the inline set.
jumbomumbo
#3 Posted : 1/30/2017 12:56:07 AM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Another vote for Gotoh SG381. The non tilting string posts make these very stable. Better than Grover's.
havlma1
#4 Posted : 2/6/2017 7:22:40 AM
havlma1

Also vote for Gotoh SG381, in my case I use MG (Magnum Lock) version on my AS55, the locking mechanism provides very stable tuning.
Ibanez AS53 TBF & Ibanez AW250-ECE-LG Cedar | Fender Acoustasonic 15 & Laney Cub 10 with 12" Jensen C12Q