Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

new AM153... broken switch :(
jimmymc
#1 Posted : 3/9/2017 7:39:42 PM

Groups: Member
hey all,

first time poster here...

So I finally got my new AM153 and it's arrived with a broken pickup switch. I'm obviously very disappointed...

So, I'll need to order a new one... Obviously I'll be replacing the broken on with a switchcraft, but I was thinking about switching out the pots while I replaced the switch, possibly with:

http://www.stewmac.com/P...son_Les_Paul_Guitar.html

Do you guys think it would be worth it?

Or should I just change out the switch?

I'm also slightly concerned that the switch might be too long for the cavity...

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
J
Tracy Dae
#2 Posted : 3/11/2017 8:08:59 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 90 post(s)
You need the short version of the Switchcraft switch.

The kit from Stewmac is over priced and your Suregrip knobs will not fit on the pots included in the Stewmac kit.

Stewmac does sell full sized Alpha pots that are quite a bit better than the OEM pots that came on your guitar. I rewired my AM93 using those. The Suregrip knobs fit perfectly.

For a full re-wire you would also need a Switchcraft jack with the longer barrel. The standard length barrel will not make it through the wood far enough to get the jack nut on the jack.

I have pics of my re-wire in this forum somewhere but I am running late right now and don't have time to dig them up. Just search under my user name and you should find them.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
jimmymc
#3 Posted : 3/11/2017 10:04:26 PM

Originally Posted by: Tracy Dae Go to Quoted Post
You need the short version of the Switchcraft switch.

The kit from Stewmac is over priced and your Suregrip knobs will not fit on the pots included in the Stewmac kit.

Stewmac does sell full sized Alpha pots that are quite a bit better than the OEM pots that came on your guitar. I rewired my AM93 using those. The Suregrip knobs fit perfectly.

For a full re-wire you would also need a Switchcraft jack with the longer barrel. The standard length barrel will not make it through the wood far enough to get the jack nut on the jack.

I have pics of my re-wire in this forum somewhere but I am running late right now and don't have time to dig them up. Just search under my user name and you should find them.

Thanks very much Tracy.

In the end I just ordered the shorter switch (and not the caps etc), I had a look at the one in my LP and it did look like it wouldnt fit inside the Ibanez.

I'll see if I can find you thread.
Tracy Dae
#4 Posted : 3/12/2017 3:46:26 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
I'm back home now and I just found the thread. Here is is:

http://forum.ibanez.com/...ing-harness-upgrade.aspx

Here is a parts list of Stewmac numbers for everything needed to build a new harness that will fit in an Artcore guitar and allow you to retain the Suregrip knobs.

The Switchcraft jack you need for an Artcore guitar is 4650. (You will need to enlarge the mounting hole a little.)

The short frame Switchcraft switch is 1242. (You will need to enlarge the mounting hole a little.)

If you want a gold collar for your Switchcraft switch that Stewmac number is 1000-G. (If you choose to add the collar to the switch, you will need to enlarge the mounting hole a little bit more.)

The black Switchcraft switch tip is 3522.

The full sized 500K Alpha pots are 0130.

The Orange drop caps are 1281

The wire I use is also available from Stewmac, though I buy it by the spool from another supplier. The Stewmac number is 5950.
1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
jimmymc on 3/12/2017(UTC)
jimmymc
#5 Posted : 3/15/2017 1:30:33 PM

Update!

I received the new switch and carefully installed it last night. The existing wiring was terrible and I had to snip some wires as some of the big blobs of solder just wouldnt lift.

I carefully extended the ground with some new wire (making a mess a of my own despite my best efforts..) wired the new switch and...

One PUP isnt working.

I'm sure I didnt pull the wires hard enough to break anything... the switch was carefully removed and the wires where held in place using a small clip, and without too much tension on them.

I've tested the switch itself and I'm getting signals where I would expect them and my ground is connected from the switch to the bridge, jack and pups...

Tonight I'm going to pull out the pots and try to figured out if it's one of them...

What the best method of testing the pots? assuming I dont find one wire has just fallen off.

Tracy - you build this stuff for people? can you PM me with what it would cost me to have you just build out the whole thing for me?

Thanks,
James

I'm back home now and I just found the thread. Here is is:

http://forum.ibanez.com/...ing-harness-upgrade.aspx

Here is a parts list of Stewmac numbers for everything needed to build a new harness that will fit in an Artcore guitar and allow you to retain the Suregrip knobs.

The Switchcraft jack you need for an Artcore guitar is 4650. (You will need to enlarge the mounting hole a little.)

The short frame Switchcraft switch is 1242. (You will need to enlarge the mounting hole a little.)

If you want a gold collar for your Switchcraft switch that Stewmac number is 1000-G. (If you choose to add the collar to the switch, you will need to enlarge the mounting hole a little bit more.)

The black Switchcraft switch tip is 3522.

The full sized 500K Alpha pots are 0130.

The Orange drop caps are 1281

The wire I use is also available from Stewmac, though I buy it by the spool from another supplier. The Stewmac number is 5950.

Tracy Dae
#6 Posted : 3/23/2017 3:00:30 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Sorry, I just now saw this. I should find a way to spend at least a little bit of time in this forum at least every other day...

Since you are outside of the U.S. it would be best to take it to someone local to you. But honestly, it sounds like you simply inverted two of the three hot wires. It's a really easy mistake to make. I would invetigate that before going forward.
1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
jimmymc on 3/23/2017(UTC)
jimmymc
#7 Posted : 3/23/2017 1:17:47 PM

I managed to get it sorted... man the wiring inside that guitar is terrible.

I'd like to switch out the whole lot but.. you know... stuff.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, I just now saw this. I should find a way to spend at least a little bit of time in this forum at least every other day...

Since you are outside of the U.S. it would be best to take it to someone local to you. But honestly, it sounds like you simply inverted two of the three hot wires. It's a really easy mistake to make. I would invetigate that before going forward.