Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help identifying very beaten up Bass and do I keep the pickups ?
brucewebb2005
#1 Posted : 3/20/2017 10:23:23 AM

Groups: Member
Hi all - Im new to the forum and new to Bass guitar playing but have been given a beaten up old bass from a friend - the action seems good etc and apart from a small crack on the head which I can fix I think its a goer. The electrics are knackered with one of the pick ups not wired in anymore and there is a fair bit of rust which makes me think it was left somewhere damp. I want to get this back to some sort of former glory as I suspect it was well played in a punk band many moons ago.
I have searched online in various places and the best I can find so far is it is pre 1975 and I cant seem to match it to any pictures - it only has MADE IN JAPAN on the back and no serial numbers. Do any of you know what model it is and then I can start the process of repair ?

Once I start I was wondering if the pickups are worth keeping in their bad state or should I chuck them and get new ones - basically would it harm the worth of the guitar to change them or is this guitar worth nothing anyway so therefore I could go ahead ?

Lots of questions but many thanks !

cheers
Bruce
File Attachment(s):
body LR.jpg (273kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
brucewebb2005 attached the following image(s):
brucewebb2005 attached the following image(s): Head LR.jpg
brucewebb2005 attached the following image(s): guitarbass.jpg
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 3/20/2017 7:04:03 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
This one is a little odd. I'm thinking it was from sometime in the 70s by the look of it. You could browse the online catalog archive to try and find out exactly which model it is:
http://www.ibanez.com/anniversary/index.html

If it is from the 70s, it could be a somewhat "sought after" model, just being from that time period. However, it looks to be in somewhat poor shape, so I'm not sure if it would hold too much value as it isn't necessarily a "rare" bass.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
brucewebb2005
#3 Posted : 3/21/2017 8:06:21 PM

Hi Bill thanks for that. Couldnt find it in the catalogue but it led me to another picture which identified it as a 2030 https://reverb.com/uk/it...ll-original-w-hard-case

SO many thanks ! Great Forum :)

Went to Stairway To Kevin in Wardour street and he can rewind the pickups as he said I wouldnt be able to probably find replacements that matched. Managed to get the stickers off and give it a good clean and its starting to shape up. Will put all the pics online once I have it up and working.

Any idea where the 2030 should go in terms of this forum or is it in the right place under Other Basses ?
cheers
Bruce
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 3/21/2017 9:05:19 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Great to hear!

This is probably the best place for that model to be posted. It doesn't really fit into any other bass category we have on this forum. Good luck with the rehab! I look forward to seeing the end result.
brucewebb2005
#5 Posted : 3/21/2017 10:37:59 PM

Thanks Bill.... tonight Ive got one pickup working and the action tuned up and its really sweet sounding (well playing along to King Tubby).

Got the crack in the head to fix, some proper scratch plate screws to find as the ones I have are too big, the front pickup to be rewound and resoldered but Im nearly there. Pleased as it was heading for landfill :)

thanks again

Bruce
File Attachment(s):
WP_20170321_014 (2).jpg (378kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
brucewebb2005
#6 Posted : 3/21/2017 10:56:40 PM

Thought I would post some pics of the work done and the catalogue pic which I couldnt find on the Ibanez site. Now need to find a Chrome cover for it.

B
File Attachment(s):
WP_20170321_003.jpg (319kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
WP_20170321_001.jpg (413kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
WP_20170321_004.jpg (420kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
WP_20170321_014 (2).jpg (378kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
brucewebb2005 attached the following image(s):
brucewebb2005 attached the following image(s): 2030.jpg