Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Coil tap switch for SR705
fenderbird
#1 Posted : 4/6/2017 12:55:20 PM

Groups: Member
I have an Ibanez SR705 and I have replaced the preamp with the Bartolini NTMB. I am now looking to upgrade the pickups. I am looking at the Bartolini MK5CBC dual coils. Has anyone here added a coil tap switch to their SR bass? Is there any way to piggy back on an existing control ( in the form of a dual function knob) or do I have to drill a hole and add another switch?
If anyone has added another switch on this bass where did you locate it in this already crowded control cavity? Also, I am looking at the Barts because, first, they are the obvious step up in this bass and second, because of the versatility the coil tapping will add. Are there any other pickups I should consider, specifically any that might add a somewhat more traditional sound to this bass and preamp? Thanks for your comments.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/6/2017 1:35:27 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Usually, I'd recommend replacing a pot or 2 with a push/pull to activate a coil tap, but with this preamp system, it might be a little more difficult to make that work well. Assuming your bass is wiring according to this diagram, the pickups go directly into the balance pot before it gets to the preamp:

If you wanted to install a push/pull pot to change both neck and bridge pickups from humbucking to single coil, you could install one for the volume pot. Doing it this way, you would wire both pickups to go to the push/pull lugs and pass the resulting signal back to the balancer pot. The actual volume pot would just function separate from the push/pull lugs as it normally would.

I think you might run into some difficulty finding the exact pot you need. It should match the value of your current volume pot and have a DPDT push pull. This matches the specs, but is a splined shaft instead of solid shaft:
http://guitarelectronics...7zVKMU1nehoC6kwQAvD_BwE

Hope this helps,
-Bill
fenderbird
#3 Posted : 4/6/2017 3:56:22 PM

Thank you very much for your informative response. The volume knob on this preamp is already a push-pull for active/passive and I would hate to lose that option, so that probably complicates the issue even more.. It looks like this project might not go as smoothly as I originally thought. Again, thank you for responding, and so quickly.
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 4/6/2017 4:30:57 PM
Bill@Ibanez

No problem! I didn't realize the volume pot was push pull already. Also, I don't know why I thought volume first. But it looks liek this is also possible to do with the balancer pot instead. This would probably work even better since it is on the same pot that will be carrying the signal. You'll need a 250K Balancer pot with the DPDT push pull lugs:

These actually look a little easier to find as well!
fenderbird
#5 Posted : 4/6/2017 4:40:42 PM

Cool, thanks, I will check into this switch.
fenderbird
#6 Posted : 4/15/2017 3:27:08 PM

Looks like my switch question has been answered, but, I would still love to hear some opinions about these pickups from anyone who has installed them in their SR bass.
fenderbird
#7 Posted : 5/9/2017 5:46:10 PM

Bill could you suggest a place where I might find this 250K Balancer pot with the DPDT push pull lugs? Thank You
Bill@Ibanez
#8 Posted : 5/9/2017 7:32:00 PM
Bill@Ibanez

fenderbird
#9 Posted : 5/10/2017 1:15:55 PM

Thanks