Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2000 Ibanez rg320DX Bridge pup issue
PinkFloydRose53
#1 Posted : 4/12/2017 10:03:06 AM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey IBA fans. I want to thank Bill for is fix on my V7 and V8 pups. I got one more for ya. I dropped in a new 5 way switch in my 2000 RG320DX. This model has the 2 humbucker set up. All the pickup selections work as they should except for the bridge pup. The coil that is closest to the trem has great output and other sounds a bit lower in output. When the selector is in the bridge position both coils should put out the same amount of volume. What did I do wrong on this guitar? LOL. Any advice would have me rock'n again. Thanks for your time.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/13/2017 4:38:12 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 398 time(s) in 389 post(s)
This one seems a little more difficult to diagnose, given the description of the issue. My first guess is that the bridge pickup is only activating that "bottom" coil. Any output you hear from the "upper" coil may just be the bottom coil picking up the faint sound you hear. Any chance you have the diagram you were using, or have the pickup switch functions laid out somewhere?

Our guitars often use this "special" switching configuration that uses a more special Ibanez 5 way switch:

Otherwise, I'm not sure if you were using a different diagram to get a different switching pattern out of it. Let me know and I'll see what I can try to diagnose!

-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
PinkFloydRose53 on 4/14/2017(UTC)
PinkFloydRose53
#3 Posted : 4/14/2017 12:24:21 AM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bill@Ibanez Go to Quoted Post
This one seems a little more difficult to diagnose, given the description of the issue. My first guess is that the bridge pickup is only activating that "bottom" coil. Any output you hear from the "upper" coil may just be the bottom coil picking up the faint sound you hear. Any chance you have the diagram you were using, or have the pickup switch functions laid out somewhere?

Our guitars often use this "special" switching configuration that uses a more special Ibanez 5 way switch:

Otherwise, I'm not sure if you were using a different diagram to get a different switching pattern out of it. Let me know and I'll see what I can try to diagnose! Hey Bill, I got up at 4:30 to examine my 320 Everything looked right. Something told me to swap the bridge red and white leads around and Presto! I am in the full humbuck kick ass and take names mode. I semi used the diagrams that are offered at Ibanez.com. Bill, thanks so much for offering to help me out again. I kinda used your method with my other guitar just swapped the leads and not the ground. Thanks again. Rock on!

-Bill