Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Is rosewood going to remain a choice?
hannu
#1 Posted : 4/13/2017 12:53:41 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Quite a few of us must have noticed the news that Fender will no longer make rosewood fingerboard guitars. There is quite a frenzy going on, people are buying all the remaining rosewood ones from the stores. This may have been coming a long time, I have noticed less and less rosewood fingerboards in the Fender section of the music store ... Remember the Gibson rosewood wars a few years ago ...

The whole matter of fingerboard is a personal preference. In my opinion and experience, the rosewood ones, for any guitar, Fender, Ibanez or Gibson, is better (warmer) sounding, better feel than maple or ebony for that matter. For the Strat and Tele style guitars, it also makes the easily warping one piece maple neck more stable. Just my opinion.
It has been said already for decades, that the Japanese guitar manufacturers (specifically Hoshino and Yamaha) own large stock piles of best guitar woods. I hope this is the case and we will have a choice of a rosewood fingerboard for years to come ....

Hannu
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325 | 2013 Ibanez AKJ95
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
2013 Fender Jazz Bass
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/13/2017 4:31:16 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hello Hannu,

I haven't yet heard about Fender discontinuing their Rosewood fretboards on their models, but as far as I can tell, Ibanez will continue to make them. The CITES regulations that changed this year require all international rosewood shipments to be accompanied with the proper paperwork showing where they sourced the wood from.

Now I could be wrong, but I believe that rosewood shouldn't be a problem once all the paperwork issues are ironed out. Of course, this could just lead to a difficulty in sourcing rosewood from the proper places, and then lead manufacturers to avoid using rosewood. This could also be a decision for manufacturers if the price of rosewood drastically increases, but I would doubt that it would cause rosewood to be futhermore unavailable for instruments(fingers crossed!).

Ibanez has had their share of difficulties since these new regulations were put in place, but as far as I can tell we are continuing to use rosewood on our models.

Hope this helps,
-Bill