Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ibanez XP300fx
flyingstrauss
#1 Posted : 5/15/2017 7:03:59 PM

Groups: Member
Hey guys, first time poster here. So I have a cheap Xiphos XP300fx, it's really comfortable for me to play and I like the shape, but I'm having tuning stability issues. So if I change tuning machines, and maybe a fretwork and new pickups (I'm thinking Duncan Invader in the bridge), could it serve me as a reliable gigging instrument? What are your thoughts, should I bother doing all this?
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 5/15/2017 7:09:15 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Personally, I like that guitar as well! The tuning instability could be a number of things. The tuning machines themselves could be the cause, or also the nut slots could be binding the strings.

I would make sure that you can get it to stay in tune to your liking before changing the pickups. Assuming the truning issues can be fixed, I would definitely put some nicer pickups in.
flyingstrauss
#3 Posted : 5/15/2017 9:25:34 PM

Nice, thanks! So if understood, check the nut slots first, change tuning machines if needed, and change pickups if everything else is in order? So what pickups would you recommend? I play metal, Seymour Duncan Invader sounds good to me, but I'm not sure would it be a good match with the guitar itself...
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 5/16/2017 12:38:16 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 400 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I wouldn't worry too much about the guitar itself. The wood in the guitar does play a factor in the overall sound, but ultimately, the pickup choice and amp/effects will really change your sound enough that the type of wood won't matter as much.

The Invaders sound like a good choice! Unfortunately, there are sooo many options for what to choose and not enough people who have played all of them. I would do a little bit of research into which pickups you think are a good choice and just pull the trigger! I'm sure you might also be able to get some more detailed pickup info and opinions from a pickup forum like Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio's forums.
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
flyingstrauss on 5/16/2017(UTC)
flyingstrauss
#5 Posted : 5/16/2017 2:08:54 PM

Thank you very much Bill, you are very helpful! Cool I think I'll do that, thanks again! :) To the Seymour Duncan forum!!! Dance