Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

R.I.P Glen Campbell
Tracy Dae
#1 Posted : 8/9/2017 12:03:23 AM
Tracy Dae

Groups: Member
Woman
Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 105 post(s)
The first time I ever saw an Ovation acoustic guitar it was in Glen Campbells hands. I was a young and broke teen back then but I wanted one cause one of my heros was playing one. As soon as I could afford one I got my first in the mid 80's and have been playing Ovation acoustic guitars ever since.
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
DugT
#2 Posted : 8/9/2017 4:24:14 AM

I really liked Glen Campbell too. He was a fast finger picker, a great storyteller and he had a nice warm voice. BAck then I thought of him as a modern day Roger Miller.

A couple of years before I'd heard of Ovation guitars I bought my first good guitar which was a new Martin D18 for $300. This was 1969. Later I heard lots of good things about Ovations but I didn't like the sound that much and the rounded side made it hard for me to keep it from slipping out of my lap. About ten years later I bought a Lowden based totally on the tone. I had never heard of Lowden but I loved the sound and wood purfling of the guitar so I bought it new for $1000. That was good investment. I still have it but I am enjoying my AR720 more, partly because it is my first electric guitar.
Rickrew
#3 Posted : 9/7/2017 11:52:06 AM
Rickrew

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I first saw an Ovation as a high schooler in the mid-70s, and was so impressed with the tone - so much better than my plywood Harmony!

I own an old (1984) Custom Balladeer, and it sounds remarkably good. The pickup isn't bad either, as long as you adjust some of the mids out of the EQ at the amp.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe