Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fre twire for a gd 10 acoustic guitar
dhenson
#1 Posted : 9/17/2017 1:43:06 AM

Groups: Member
I bought an ibanez gd 10 2 years ago and for the price it was an excellent choice for a beginner guitarist like me. I dropped the guitar on a metal stand that damaged the neck. I repaired the neck using epoxy resin and lots of sanding. I'm trying to bring it back to life. I dont want to do a whole refret on the guitar. I need to know where i can get the original fret wire for this guitar. I took it to a guitar repair shop and they wanted almost as much as the guitar is worth for re fretting 5 frets. I researched other fret wire makers on line and found wire that is close to the correct size such as jescar, dunlop and stewmac. Would 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch in height cause problems such as buzzing or playability? Would wider frets make a big difference? I would just buy another one or let a shop repair it but i'm on a limited incomne. Andy help would be greatly appreciated. The fret wire on this guitar is .080 wide by 0.46 high.
RIX
#2 Posted : 9/17/2017 2:08:37 AM
RIX

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hello dhenson, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your guitar. Just putting in new frets will still require some fret leveling so that they match the height of the old frets; otherwise you will most likely have fret buzz. And doing that kind of work requires the right tools and they are not cheap.

You would probably better off purchasing a new guitar and saving this one as project guitar if you should decide to try learning how to fret work in the future.

Best of luck; let us know what you decide to do.
RIX